Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 5/28/2007: Finding Unusual Beau

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4317
Printed Date: 23 August 2019 at 8:08pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 5/28/2007: Finding Unusual Beau
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 5/28/2007: Finding Unusual Beau
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:20am

CHALLENGE: Finding Unusual Beauty

Beauty is about more than being skinny, having perfect skin and hair, ripped muscles or big breasts, more than being new, shiny and perfectly formed. Portray a person or object from every day life that does not conform to classic standards of beauty, but in a beautiful way.
  • 32 colours max
  • Transparency & animation optional
  • NO canvas restriction

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp - submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8 - WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1038' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Finding Unusual Beauty pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/21313.htm' target='_blank'>Poison tree by /p/6741.htm' target='_blank'>Fool
/pixelart/21200.htm' target='_blank'>Ambush! by /p/3968.htm' target='_blank'>Doppleganger
/pixelart/21239.htm' target='_blank'>Truth of the rose by /p/1343.htm' target='_blank'>Ensellitis

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/21325.htm' target='_blank'>Weekly Challenge - Purple Rinse by /p/9784.htm' target='_blank'>Stickman
/pixelart/21127.htm' target='_blank'>Fat Is The New Black [Weekly Challenge] by /p/10658.htm' target='_blank'>NuffinInMyMuffin
/pixelart/21318.htm' target='_blank'>Weekly Challenge by /p/9534.htm' target='_blank'>Kfuchoin
/pixelart/21221.htm' target='_blank'>There Is No Spoon by /p/10470.htm' target='_blank'>Omenith
/pixelart/21315.htm' target='_blank'>A Beautiful Argument by /p/5184.htm' target='_blank'>Beaker
/pixelart/21323.htm' target='_blank'>Powerful Piggy by /p/8536.htm' target='_blank'>Art_Sempai
/pixelart/21205.htm' target='_blank'>Nounours by /p/1465.htm' target='_blank'>jujucece
/pixelart/21317.htm' target='_blank'>BlindLove by /p/10122.htm' target='_blank'>pain
/pixelart/21283.htm' target='_blank'>The Geek by /p/10068.htm' target='_blank'>ZeroFive1

Replies:
Posted By: NuffinInMyMuffin
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 12:22am

My fat azz linez are kickin' holmes...

Fat Anne:

PS I don't really speak "gangsta'".

Posted By: Setzer
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 1:45am

will be more than a face.

-------------
http://sj-gfx.com">

Posted By: Ensellitis
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 2:34am

-------------
ಠ_ಠ
There's a pubic hair on my keyboard. What the f**k?? I "mow the lawn" so it's not mine. Gross.

Posted By: Elk
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 5:03am
very nice setzer

Posted By: HiyuKantaro
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:42am
Here's my WIP:

only need some hair!

Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 7:35am

updated

-------------
ಠ_ಠ
There's a pubic hair on my keyboard. What the f**k?? I "mow the lawn" so it's not mine. Gross.

Posted By: Larwick
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 10:39am
Awh ens, i preferred the older flower shape. I think it would fit the more realistic skull better. And the skull looks awesome!

Setz, that looks pretty interesting so far.

NuffinInMyMuffin, that looks cool so far, quite amusing lookin. :D

Hiyu, i suggest more contrast and perhaps some saturation and hue variation in your ramps.

Keep it up everyone! I don't really have a clue what to do yet, if i am gunna do anything.

-------------
http://larw-ck.deviantart.com">

Posted By: jujucece
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 10:52am
Hi,

Here's the lineart of my contrib :

Any c&c welcommed !

jjcc

-------------
Jujucece

Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:04am
way ahead of you larwick...  i was unhappy with the flower from the beginning, it WILL be redone like a rose with thorns and whatnot

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Posted By: Hapiel
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:18am
Stupid ens! Now is my idea not origional any more  
and I have to think of a new one..

Posted By: PixelDish
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:19am
Wow Ens, i love what you're doing with the boobs and whatnot

Posted By: Monkey 'o Doom
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 2:43pm
I love everything, Ens, except the roots. There should be lots of smaller tendrils extending out from what are currently the smallest thickness of root. But then again, I don't know if you're just trying to get everything to a similar level of completion and this is already on its way.

-------------
http://pixelmonkey.ensellitis.com">
RPG is numberwang.

Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 2:45pm
El Updato!

FINISH!!!!

Posted By: ZeroFive1
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:01pm
My WIP:

Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:02pm
What is it?

Posted By: ZeroFive1
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:04pm
A geek wearing slippers on the phone watching TV.

Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:40pm

Updato....again....

Posted By: Kfuchoin
Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 9:50pm

mine = still a WIP an anorexic GIRL

any C&C?

-------------
may the pixels be with you..
~Kfuchoin
eMo

looking for people for an RPG info: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4903

Date Posted: 28 May 2007 at 11:29pm

added more roots as per monkey request...  finished up dirt for now, working on redoing flower

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 12:51am
i dont think you guys are getting the challenge...  its not pixeling something that is ugly alone:
"Portray a person or object from every day life that does not conform to classic standards of beauty, but in a beautiful way"

you need to pixel something that is usually not beautiful, but make it beautiful. 

btw, update edit:

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Setzer

will be more than a face.

unlike most people I don't keep multiple copies of WIP progress :/
Instead I just save & upload the same file over and over again, and refresh to see the changes.

the B&W was supopsed to be temporary, but I kind of like the way this is turning out so I think I'll keep it (and maybe do color later)

-------------

Posted By: PixelDish
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 5:29am
Ens, that is amazing. The flower looks much better now! And the stones are perfect!

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 5:30am
thats fine, setz.  i saw every step you have taken with this.

instead of pure b&w or pure color, why not do kinda like in sin city, and colorize only the important parts?

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 5:30am
Update :

I hope I understood the challenge the right way :-/

For me, this teddybear looks old and dirty but for his owner, it's the most beautiful object in the world.

I think I should work more on the "dirty" and "bad" aspect of the bear.

Any C&C welcomed.

-------------
Jujucece

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 5:34am
yes, that would qualify...  and yes, overeagerate the bears dirtyness, rips, tears, etc.

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Ensellitis

i dont think you guys are getting the challenge...  its not pixeling something that is ugly alone:
"Portray a person or object from every day life that does not conform to classic standards of beauty, but in a beautiful way"

you need to pixel something that is usually not beautiful, but make it beautiful. 

btw, update edit:

Ens that's awesome =DDDDDD

ammm but for me is not beautifull see a lot of "bone girls", bones are no beatufiull and so doi not bone girls..., but they are models so it's supossed to be beatuifull

-------------
~Kfuchoin
eMo

looking for people for an RPG info: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4903

Posted By: Skull
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 6:13am
Snakes on a Plane.

Spot on Ens. Exactly how I pictured those rocks/ dirt. Looking Awesome.

These ideas are actually quite good.. I spent a while and couldn't come up with anything!

-------------
-

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 7:36am
update

update:

that face is a mess. plz help =S

-------------
~Kfuchoin
eMo

Posted By: theguy
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:30am

would this work for it?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 12:27pm

nearing completion (yeah, right...)

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Posted By: Larwick
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 12:30pm
More contrast on the rose needed, the leaf should be shadowed... probably. The way you've made the rocks makes it look like the larger ones are just getting closer, which would make the skull really small.... :/ (Or not really, depends how you look at it). Perhaps the smallest stones need to merge into the medium sized ones a little better. That's all the crits i've got!

I LOVE it though, the skull and added hand look ace.

-------------
http://larw-ck.deviantart.com">

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 12:52pm
good point.  thanks duke larwick or mustarder.

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 3:08pm
updateeeeeeeeeee

-------------
~Kfuchoin
eMo

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 3:51pm

Were you pointing that at my direction?

Because, normally fat isn't attractive, but to the clerk who sold her outfit says she is "beautiful".

Posted By: wish04
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 4:46pm

Here's what I have so far. Hopefully the anatomy looks right.

Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by NuffinInMyMuffin

Were you pointing that at my direction?

Because, normally fat isn't attractive, but to the clerk who sold her outfit says she is "beautiful".

if i was "pointing" that at you, i would have said your name

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Posted By: pixelblink
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:40pm
wish04: I'm liking the look of it so far. Keep at it!

-------------

Posted By: Anlina S.
Date Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:24pm
wish: Looks good, though I'm not sure about the feet. Sitting on the floor like that, the top of my foot rests on the floor (so the tops of all my toes would be touching the floor) and my heel points up. So you wouldn't be seeing too much of the far foot and the closer one would show more achillies tendon than ankle bone in the outline, and the shape of the foot would taper pretty smoothly into a wedge shape, since the ball of the foot isn't very thick at the outside. 

Posted By: felchqueen
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 2:01am
@Ens,

Just a suggestion, perhaps doing the soil with sedimentary (is that how it's spelt?) layers would add more interest.

Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 6:47am
Update again :

Maybe I should add a background ? I don't know...

Any C&C still welcomed...

-------------
Jujucece

Posted By: AdrianJensen
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 7:00am
@Ensellitis, that would be freaking sweet if you animated it.

Not that it isn't already freaking sweet, of course.

-------------
My gallery lives here:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/8355.htm?pg=1&sec=icons

Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 7:28am
Originally posted by AdrianJensen

@Ensellitis, that would be freaking sweet if you animated it.

Not that it isn't already freaking sweet, of course.

thanks :) i considered animating it.  maybe when i'm done with it, i will give it a go if i have the time.  trying to get all the small details perfect right now has been a bitch though lol

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 9:49am

tossing around color ideas, i'll probably end up going with these flat greys in the end anyways, or maybe a very slight tint of blue or something.

-------------

Posted By: HiyuKantaro
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 9:57am

My old portret was really POOR,, so i started all over again.

and this is the result: ( stil WIP )

Posted By: AdamPlays
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 4:30pm
Setzer - Your piece looks just like the one you did with the Evil palette.  The composition is exactly the same.  This one is looking much better though.  

-------------
And now for something completely different...

Posted By: wish04
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 5:00pm
Here's what I have done so far:

Anlina, thank you, I'll be sure to edit the feet.

Ensellitis, I like how yours looks. Can't wait to see it finished.

Posted By: AdrianJensen
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 6:45pm
wish, that is looking great.

-------------
My gallery lives here:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/8355.htm?pg=1&sec=icons

Posted By: cure
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 7:28pm
Right eye (our left) is too low.

-------------

Posted By: leel
Date Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:07pm
I think her upper arm is too long, but otherwise neat :)

-------------

Posted By: Anlina S.
Date Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:50pm
So I can pretty much guarantee that this is not going to get finished for the challenge, but here's my WIP. Just in the planning stage so far, so C&C is welcome on the lines. The colours are really roughed in, without much attention to anatomy, just blocky lighting.

I think if/when I get to pixeling this I'll probably reduce the size by 25 - 50%....

Posted By: Noburo
Date Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:50pm
Here is my WIP... Our boys defending our lazy American asses.

Still a ways from finishing, I'm adding another soldier and still have more detail work to do.

Date Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by wish04

Her face should be more even with her hair line, it looks like it's all combed and centered at about a 10 degree angle from the middle of her head.

Do you get what I'm saying?

But that aside, it's looking GREAT!

Posted By: zlajonja
Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 1:35am
I'll be posting laters mine WIP, but, wish04..i think you should fix her left arm too..its kinda missplaced...

otherwise great:)

I luv all your works guys :)

Im new here and hope to learn from all of you :)

-------------
somnabularian insomniac

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 1:52am
../pixelart/21239.htm?sec=date">
all done now...

@wish: that is shaping up well.  other than what has been said, i see no major flaws. 

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:14pm
Got the last person in, now I just need to do some more detail work.

Also, I gave them muscular, manly, butts for those women out there that get sexually aroused by pixels.

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:23pm
um, how does this fit in the the guidlines?  and no, the asses dont count

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:06pm
If men laying down their lives protecting their country isn't beautiful, then what is?

I have several friends that has served in Iraq, and another going over there in a few weeks. I'm paying me respects to them and all the other soldiers protecting us, be it American or... everyone else. What they are doing out there, putting their lives on the line to guard their family, and friends is something truly beautiful.  

The asses were just extra.

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:22pm
i served, and i find nothing beautiful about them getting shot at all.  showing someone what can happen to them isnt showing them respect in the slightest, i find it downright disrespectful actually

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:34pm
Ok then, I won't submit it. Sorry for any disrespect I implied towards you, it wasn't my intentions.

Date Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:42pm
I have to side with Ens on this one. Showing your friends their possible fate is not respectful, nor beautiful. Noburo, something that might be better for the war, is the soldiers prevailing or something along the lines of success.

Posted By: Metaru
Date Posted: 02 June 2007 at 1:14am
deleted.    

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 02 June 2007 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Metaru

I'm risking my ass with my entry.

yup

-------------

Date Posted: 02 June 2007 at 2:15am
you damn near got yourself a suspension, so yes

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 02 June 2007 at 3:33am
it never happened

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 02 June 2007 at 5:41am
what did never happen?? 

-------------

Posted By: xFiruath
Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:11pm

Woah, hold the mustard there guys.

I must respectfully disagree with your point of view in regards to the picture of the soldiers, Ensellitis.  The artist who did that picture clearly (and logically, I might add) explained how his art met the critera by saying :

"If men laying down their lives protecting their country isn't beautiful, then what is?
I have several friends that has served in Iraq, and another going over there in a few weeks. I'm paying me respects to them and all the other soldiers protecting us, be it American or... everyone else. What they are doing out there, putting their lives on the line to guard their family, and friends is something truly beautiful.  
the asses were just extra."

It is obvious that he meant no disrespect, in fact he obviously holds the soldiers in Iraq in high regard.  The only thing that seems disrespectful are actually your comments, in which you state that the only way to honor the soldiers through art would be to show them being triumphant.  (EDIT: I just realized I was mixing Ensellitis' comments with those of NuffinInMyMuffin, sorry to both)  I don't mean to make this a personal attack against you, but that is just plain wrong.  The war in Iraq is NOT being won by the U.S. soldiers, and they ARE being shot and killed every day.  Stating the truth (or expressing the truth through art) isn't being disrespectful.  In my opionon, filtering the truth through rose colored glasses is.

I also feel that the threat of suspension was way over the top and completely unnecesary.  The artist should be allowed to continue his work here and even submit it as an entry in the challenge.  If people disagree with his interpretation, then fine, let them and let them state why, but the whole point of this challenge was to find beauty where it wouldn't normally be found, and of all the entries on this thread so far, this particular piece of art fit that description the best.

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:27pm
Firuath: You have basicly just restated his argument but with more words. To be honest, I don't think showing your friends their possible fate is respectful, nor beautiful. Do you think showing your friends death is beautiful? And about your mini-rant against me. I know troops are being killed, and I honor them for that. But you think that because we are losing the war, and people are being killed there, that we can honor them by showing everyone there death? I don't think that is very respectful.

-------------
"Tea?" - William Shakespeare

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by xFiruath

It is obvious that he meant no disrespect, in fact he obviously holds the soldiers in Iraq in high regard.  The only thing that seems disrespectful are actually your comments, in which you state that the only way to honor the soldiers through art would be to show them being triumphant.  I don't mean to make this a personal attack against you, but that is just plain wrong.  The war in Iraq is NOT being won by the U.S. soldiers, and they ARE being shot and killed every day.  Stating the truth (or expressing the truth through art) isn't being disrespectful.  In my opionon, filtering the truth through rose colored glasses is.

fine, i think for your mothers next birthday, i am going to paint a picture of her in a coffin, that wouldnt be disrespectful at all, would it?  "thanking" someone by showing them their possible death is far from respectful.  and this has NOTHING to do with the iraq war, dont be one of those people that makes everything about it, either, i have heard enough of the "... because iraq" argument. 

i said nothing about the only way of showing respect is to show them being triumphant. i said showing them being killed is disrespectful.  there are many different ways to do it.

he may have not meant it, but he did it.

"I also feel that the threat of suspension was way over the top and completely unnecesary.  The artist should be allowed to continue his work here and even submit it as an entry in the challenge.  If people disagree with his interpretation, then fine, let them and let them state why, but the whole point of this challenge was to find beauty where it wouldn't normally be found, and of all the entries on this thread so far, this particular piece of art fit that description the best."

did you see the piece?  did you deal with him resubmitting it when i revised it?  we have quality standards.  a transparent box with a 1px border does not meet those.  and he knows the rules here, his piece was revised, and he KNEW that it was going to be, and he not only submitted it, he resubmitted it right after i denied it.

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:54pm

a transparent box with a 1px border does not meet those.  and he knows the rules here, his piece was revised, and he KNEW that it was going to be, and he not only submitted it, he resubmitted it right after i denied it.

sorry?

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:03pm
i was making a point to him

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:07pm

What's with this "showing people how they can die" thing you two keep referencing?  The artist didn't show any soldiers anything, he submitted a piece of pixel art for a challenge.  The point of this challenge was to show beauty where it couldn't normally be found.  Would people dying normally be beatiful?  No!  Could people dying to protect others be considering beatiful?  Yes!  Therefore this is a perfect example of the challenge's conditions.

The analogy of my mother in a coffin has no bearing whatsoever on this discussion.  My mother is not fighting and dying for my freedom.  The soldier's in Iraq are.  And now that I think about it, if you wanted to add more to that picture and eleborate on it, a picture of my mother's coffin very well could be honoring her, possibly by showing a family around it and how they all came together after her passing to acknolwedge her good works.  Great idea, and I just might even pixel that one myself for this challenge!

Also, Ensillitis stated that this "has nothing to do with Iraq".  The artist in dispute right now specifically stated several posts up that this IS about Iraq, as the piece was inspired because he has friends serving in Iraq.

I guess the issue just boils down to the fact that I feel that this piece is not disrespectful, and others seem to disagree.  Even if it is disrespectful, why prevent it from being entered?  At the least it will cause discussion and debate about it, raising awareness about the issue, and that isn't a bad thing.  I also don't recall seeing any disclaimer stating that art submitted for challenges can't cause contreversy.

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:08pm
Ensillitis, I think you missed my edit.  Go back and read my original post and you will see that I did reference that I mixed your comments with those of another.

Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:17pm
discussion closed.  metaru's piece isnt allowed because it didnt meet quality standards.

the other one because it isnt within the guidelines of the competition.

nothing more about this here.  if you have a problem with it, http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/contact.asp - contact the other staff .

if you signed up for pj only to bust my balls, then i think its time you left

-------------
ಠ_ಠ

Posted By: Art_Sempai
Date Posted: 03 June 2007 at 8:44pm
Here's mine...

A big beautiful gal and heavy hitter on her team.
Makes amazing entrance by leaping from the drop ship and making a crater in front of her teammates.

"Somebody call for backup."she says.

-------------
Poem-spell of Decay:
"By what creeps, what crawls, by what does not,
Let all that grows recede and rot."

Date Posted: 07 June 2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Metaru

a transparent box with a 1px border does not meet those.  and he knows the rules here, his piece was revised, and he KNEW that it was going to be, and he not only submitted it, he resubmitted it right after i denied it.

sorry?
just to clarify that i did not resubmit anything Ens. that's all.

-------------
I ate leel's babies

Print Page | Close Window