Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 10/27/2014: Dark and Stormy Nig

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20009
Printed Date: 24 July 2019 at 2:38am

Topic: CHALLENGE 10/27/2014: Dark and Stormy Nig
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 10/27/2014: Dark and Stormy Nig
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 12:02am

CHALLENGE: Dark and Stormy Night

Create a nighttime scene set during a storm.

Canvas Size - Max 200 x 200.
Colours - Max 13.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional. 

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1421' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Dark and Stormy Night pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/90002.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>Windgust Bay by /p/7846.htm' target='_blank'>Mrmo Tarius
/pixelart/90067.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>Giant by /p/18267.htm' target='_blank'>fawful
/pixelart/89968.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Cold outside by /p/44940.htm' target='_blank'>SaintBonkers

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/90054.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Spooky Hall by /p/49052.htm' target='_blank'>BathMaster_2000
/pixelart/90070.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Stormy_Raylroad! by /p/44216.htm' target='_blank'>D-jinn
/pixelart/90061.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Castle Of Grief by /p/29255.htm' target='_blank'>Theoden
/pixelart/90073.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Dark and Stormy Night by /p/48645.htm' target='_blank'>Hamenopi
/pixelart/90016.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>storm by /p/33190.htm' target='_blank'>Dont
/pixelart/90049.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Furious silence by /p/46601.htm' target='_blank'>Agent00X
/pixelart/90069.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>sparkleshark by /p/47975.htm' target='_blank'>Aureliano
/pixelart/90035.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>A Welcoming Tavern by /p/49236.htm' target='_blank'>KPJFormat
/pixelart/89934.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Thundery Castle by /p/25586.htm' target='_blank'>adscomics
/pixelart/90052.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>StormTree by /p/49362.htm' target='_blank'>Fusionnist
/pixelart/90044.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Stormy Tower at NoWhere by /p/47132.htm' target='_blank'>macdoom

Replies:
Posted By: Finlal
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:35am
About 5 days ago I made this WIP, then slightly updated it couple of times.

Would it be ok if I crop it, chande colours to night ones and add some waves, clouds and lightnings?

Posted By: Damian
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:43am
nope, read them rules buddy.

Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Damian

nope, read them rules buddy.

"Only new pixels allowed".
That's what I'm asking, actually.
I wouldn't ask if it was complete picture, but since it's only a WIP, it's discussible.

Posted By: skamocore
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 2:55am
Challenge entries should be made entirely during the challenge week.

-------------

Posted By: Crimso
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 3:29am
Assuming I can complete the challenge in time, I'm planning to make an animation within the 200*200 size limit where the whole scene is dark and then momentarily lit up by a lightning flash. Would it be okay if I expanded past 200*200 to have a second panel that shows the exact same thing, only paused on the fully-lit frame?

If not, I guess I could just have a link to an image or work something out with the animation.

Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 3:31am
Originally posted by skamocore

Challenge entries should be made entirely during the challenge week.

Ok, sure.

Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Crimso

Assuming I can complete the challenge in time, I'm planning to make an animation within the 200*200 size limit where the whole scene is dark and then momentarily lit up by a lightning flash. Would it be okay if I expanded past 200*200 to have a second panel that shows the exact same thing, only paused on the fully-lit frame?

If not, I guess I could just have a link to an image or work something out with the animation.

I'm not sure I exactly follow what your idea is, but everything should fit into the 200 x 200 canvas. Nothing more.

-------------

Posted By: Crimso
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 4:05am
Originally posted by skamocore

I'm not sure I exactly follow what your idea is, but everything should fit into the 200 x 200 canvas. Nothing more.
I'd basically have two copies of the image side-by-side or one on top of the other, which would exceed the size limit, except the first one would be animated while the second would be paused on a single frame. If that's not allowed, then I guess there's still a bunch of other alternatives.

Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 4:43am
If it exceeds the size limit, then the answer is no.

-------------

Posted By: Mrmo Tarius
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 5:08am
A quick doodle! Maybe I'll work on it some more.

Update!

Also, this challenge reminds me of http://www.fastswf.com/5JxPerw - a thing I made while learning flash... that was quite a long time ago now :/

Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 2:22pm
I haven't done much art recently, so I might attempt to this challenge. Might be a bit rusty though :| Going to edit this post with my progress for the next couple of days, as well as document some of my processes and thoughts with you all. Anyones welcome to share their thoughts about how they make art too :)

I kinda like the emotion that be can depicted by storms. And I want to play with this. To state the obvious, storms are ominously dark in atmosphere, they're frightening with their powerful winds, and on seas, their large strong waves. Not to mention the quick bursts of lightning that never provide light long enough to give you a little more comfort, creating short bursts instead, in turn creating shadows that weren't there before on an otherwise overcast day/night. Not to forget that lightning is accompanied by loud, thumping thunder that seems to come at you from every direction. It really is a fitting mood for something in a horror, or to depict the raw emotion some people fear.

I want to try and touch on the feeling of being alone. So I want add a human to my piece, this should help create a sense of scale as well as help viewers to connect to something within the picture. The emotions I want show from the character are sadness, a bit of angriness, tension, fear all from being alone, and if possible I'd like to also show positive emotion in courage to try and survive.

Aight, end of my random rant.

Started off by searching "Stormy seas" on google images. Here are my References so far:
http://alaskabibleteacher.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/stormy-seas.jpg - Image 1
http://www.wga.hu/art/p/porcelli/jan/shipping.jpg - Image 2
http://www.victorianweb.org/painting/mooreh/paintings/4.jpg - Image 3
http://thenonist.com/images/uploads/shp.jpg - image 4

Posted By: SpeedyCube
Date Posted: 27 October 2014 at 4:31pm

Early WIP

Posted By: Theoden
Date Posted: 28 October 2014 at 5:29am
Ah, my favorite theme. Gotta do something.

Posted By: TechNine
Date Posted: 28 October 2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by SpeedyCube

Early WIP
Is that moon on the right side and reflection on water?

Date Posted: 29 October 2014 at 7:58am
hmmm, I attempted this, even did a WIP. But I don't think I'll have the time to finish :(

Posted By: BathMaster_2000
Date Posted: 29 October 2014 at 9:12am
Here's my sketch.

I intend for the window to be flashing with thunder, and to have streaks of rain running down it. The walls and ceilings will be made of stone bricks, and the floors will be made out of smooth stone, with possibly a carpet on the floor. Should I put two torches on the walls, to add warmth? Also, should I make the hallway wider? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Posted By: Kosvid
Date Posted: 29 October 2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by BathMaster_2000

Here's my sketch.

[image]

I intend for the window to be flashing with thunder, and to have streaks of rain running down it. The walls and ceilings will be made of stone bricks, and the floors will be made out of smooth stone, with possibly a carpet on the floor. Should I put two torches on the walls, to add warmth? Also, should I make the hallway wider? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

In my opinion, you allocate too little space for the storm and too much for not so relevant things. You could expand the window and just make things like chandeliers or carpets be partically visible from the sides.

Date Posted: 29 October 2014 at 10:25am
UPDATE

I've cropped out all that unnecessary hallway, and added two torches. These torches will be pretty dim, so that the hallway doesn't seem completely dead, but there is also a sense of tension. I don't know what to do with the roof; I'm probably going to curve it. Going to look for some inspiration.

Date Posted: 29 October 2014 at 11:03am

UPDATE
Going to look for some inspiration.

I hope this will help. :)
http://yarr.me/c/723/4/cabin-pron.jpg

Posted By: Mrmo Tarius
Date Posted: 30 October 2014 at 2:10am
By the magical power of sieve interpolation, my framerates are doubled.

Date Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:34am
UPDATE

Using the forums is great! I've put some more lines to where the bricks will be. Let me remind you that this is going to be a stone brick hallway, not a wooden one. I haven't put where the individual bricks will lie yet. I've added curtains for the window, a curved roof, and a carpet. This doesn't look perfect, but all I need to do now is find a good palette, and begin coloring.

Posted By: Theoden
Date Posted: 30 October 2014 at 7:11am

UPDATE

This looks pretty nice already.

Date Posted: 30 October 2014 at 12:43pm
My WIP so far

Date Posted: 30 October 2014 at 7:51pm
UPDATE

Here's this. Ugh. I've got a lot of work to do on this still.

I really need to work on this. I can do better.

Posted By: jtfjtfjtf
Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 6:46am
WIP so far. Thor smacking the Midgard Serpent. Not sure if i'll finish on time.

Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 10:17am
UPDATE

Still looks bad. More work needs to be done! I'm going to make the circles of lighting follow the flames, and I'm going to fix those pesky torches. Still, not too bad for my first flame animation, huh?

Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 12:19pm
UPDATE

Should really get to the window, carpet, and curtains now.

Posted By: fawful
Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 3:34pm

wip

-------------

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 6:17pm
That looks very nice fawful.
Just know that I, at least, had to zoom in just to see the BG colors.
At 1X I only see one.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 31 October 2014 at 7:29pm
Thanks, I'm wondering if it's something to do with my monitor settings, I got a similar comment about this one I did for the last challenge:

Is anyone find it too dark to see?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 November 2014 at 4:52pm
@fawful, that's almost worse on those dark BG colors.
Looks like you do need some monitor calibration.

ps: What's up with your siggy? Need those removed?

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Date Posted: 02 November 2014 at 8:35am
I've had a go at configuring my monitor better and made some colour adjustments, should be easier to see:

-------------

Date Posted: 02 November 2014 at 8:55am
Way better contrast overall tho you might have gone too far in the contrast as I see on my monitor which is a Mac and so its lighter than Window screens.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window