Print Page | Close Window

CHALLENGE 12/16/2013: An Alien Artefact

Printed From: Pixel Joint
Category: Pixel Art
Forum Name: Collaborations/Challenges
Forum Discription: Submit pixel art project ideas/templates or contribute to an existing pixel art collaboration.
URL: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17642
Printed Date: 25 August 2019 at 9:55pm

Topic: CHALLENGE 12/16/2013: An Alien Artefact
Posted By: administrator
Subject: CHALLENGE 12/16/2013: An Alien Artefact
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 12:02am

CHALLENGE: An Alien Artefact

Astronauts have just returned home to Earth from the planet Pyxl. The planet was deserted, but evidence was found of a long-gone civilization.

For this challenge, your goal is to depict an object that was found on planet Pyxl.

The astronauts noted that all objects they found on the planet were completely different to objects that exist on Earth.

Optional Bonus Challenge: Tell us about your object in the description - its uses, how it was created, who it was used by, etc...

Canvas size - Max 100 x 100.
Colours - Max 25.
Transparency - Required.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to /pixels/submit_icons.asp'>submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the /forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=8'>WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

/pixels/poll.asp?id=1376' name='vote' target='_blank'>Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The An Alien Artefact pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

/pixelart/82768.htm' target='_blank' class='winner1'>SDHD MkII by /p/43051.htm' target='_blank'>Muxaun
/pixelart/82820.htm' target='_blank' class='winner2'>What's this? by /p/45090.htm' target='_blank'>yaa
/pixelart/82716.htm' target='_blank' class='winner3'>Alien Artifact by /p/45351.htm' target='_blank'>Khook

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

/pixelart/82725.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>the eye by /p/43495.htm' target='_blank'>UndeadKnight
/pixelart/82806.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Nanosomething device by /p/44729.htm' target='_blank'>derSteiner
/pixelart/82728.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Chromatic Trinket by /p/41021.htm' target='_blank'>InsidiousSys
/pixelart/82818.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>OBJECT-255 by /p/42312.htm' target='_blank'>Emperor_Pixel
/pixelart/82805.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Teleporter Cristal Cube by /p/44216.htm' target='_blank'>D-jinn
/pixelart/82719.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>The runestone. by /p/35331.htm' target='_blank'>Whisper Heart
/pixelart/82791.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Mechanical Organical by /p/43565.htm' target='_blank'>phraktol
/pixelart/82797.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Amulet priest temple PIX by /p/35331.htm' target='_blank'>Whisper Heart
/pixelart/82738.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Misterious disk by /p/44942.htm' target='_blank'>Otto
/pixelart/82715.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pyxinite by /p/41268.htm' target='_blank'>Eggy
/pixelart/82769.htm' target='_blank' class='winnerx'>Pyxl-Pix231 by /p/36467.htm' target='_blank'>Nevercreature

Replies:
Posted By: Temessis
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 4:22am
Can I say that astronauts found strange statue and returned to home with photo of this?

//

Posted By: MikauKahn
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 7:53am
Don't forget that transparency is required.

Posted By: Whisper Heart
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 10:56am
Quickly made ​​a few artifacts... =)

Posted By: skittle
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 2:04pm
Pretty cool stuff Whisper Heart. The stone looks particularly interesting.

Posted By: jalonso
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Temessis

Can I say that astronauts found strange statue and returned to home with photo of this?

//

This challenge is looking for the alien object as an asset/sprite/piece not a scene, k.

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <•> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: AlexHW
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 2:34pm
What??
I don't see that being said anywhere in the challenge.
just saying..

Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 7:25pm
"an object that was found on planet Pyxl" plus transparency.
I may be wrong as its not my challenge but I read those two things to equal an asset :/

-------------
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9378&FID=6&PR=3 - PJs FAQ <•> http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=6 - Sticky Reads

Posted By: Daimoth
Date Posted: 16 December 2013 at 8:42pm
Nah, as long as it follows the rules and the theme, they'll take it. In fact I'm kind of looking forward to how people interpret this one, as it's kinda weird.

Posted By: Muxaun
Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 9:16am
It turned out to be much harder task than I expected.

My own interpretation of the task is:
to create something completely alien to all things existing on Earth. It must be an unimaginable thing. And still it should be a viable and useful thing for those who created it.

I found out that everything I could imagine is imaginable (how unfortunate!). So I decided to just start pixeling without using an imagination - just do random things and polish them.

I am defining a shape now. And it doesn't look the way I wanted (it looks like something that could be created by humans)

Maybe with more colors and details it will be better. Maybe an animation will help it to shine and prosper. I am totally unsure about what to do and how to get started.

UPDATE:
still doing random edits.
or

UPD:
started from scratch cuz that cauldron sucks.

V2:
added some color and shape.

Now to draw a gorgeous frame, the flame and polish every damn frame.
V3:

still a lot to do.
V4:

I want to decorate the frame a little bit more and fix the problem with perspective.
Maybe I'll add more moving parts.
It is hard to keep the image size down to 10Kb.

Posted By: Otto
Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 10:45am
I have made a long description to explain this image. It is supposed to be a disk with beveled sides, but I am not sure if it looks as it should...

Posted By: DatMuffinMan
Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 2:34pm
I liked the first one better, the second one looks more like a lean towards the stereotypical green alien.

Posted By: r1k
Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 3:43pm
otto thats pretty cool, but the person graphic on it makes it seem less alien.  Try changing the person in some way to look less human.

Posted By: kuznetsowski
Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 3:48pm
Ok, here it is my WIP:

I've worked on the middle part so far, but any guidance will be more than welcome, since I'm struggling with the colors. I understand reflections/color rules from Planet Earth are different than those found in planet Pyxl (how many suns do hit directly Pyxl's planet? are there any moons? that information would be useful :)

Also, making the thing look like nothing created by humankind is proving to be a real challenge...

In this case, this is some sort of device used for reproduction (that's right, kids :D). It is supposed to be attached to one extremity of the alien race and then it sprays spores which become liquid when coming in contact with Pyxl planet's atmosphere. That also explains why they got extinguished since they couldn't reproduce out of their planet.

Posted By: phraktol
Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 4:17pm
Here's my work in progress:

I'm still tweaking it, and messing with colors. this is my most detailed pixel piece ever, and only using 5 colors (not including the greys which will be removed)

I would love some feedback and thoughts on it :) I have a backstory I'm going to include in the final upload, but what do you guys think so far?

I'm scared to animate it since ive never done a pixel animation before and it's a bit daunting rofl

Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by kuznetsowski

Ok, here it is my WIP:

I've worked on the middle part so far, but any guidance will be more than welcome...

Focus on cleaner lineart and try whenever possible not to 'step' your lines unless that is being used everywhere as it looks sloppy.
The noobtorial thread has a bit on curves, look that over and try to fix the top curve.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 December 2013 at 11:44pm
Whoa phraktol! Those colors look totally cool and it does indeed look like something extraterrestrial. I already have a favorite for this challenge :D

@jalonso: yeah, I totally have to redo that part from the beginning - I'm not even sure I want curved lines over there.

Date Posted: 18 December 2013 at 6:54am
I was thinking for a while and then decided to stop working on the reproduction device because...well, for obvious reasons. Maybe I will work on it later, who knows.

I decided to do something else instead. It's an alien suit found on planet Pyxl but it doesn't really belong to Pyxl's civilization but a different civilization which was waging war against Pyxl planet. I was heavily inspired by baby gas masks developed during the 1920s (google them, they're kinda creepy).

Anyway, I think this one is much better from color perspective and I also  focused on line art first (just as jalonso suggested). However, I'm still not sure about the metal box in the middle. I just can't see a way to make it look better. Should the red reflections also hit that box directly? Maybe the shape or perspective of the box is messed up?

Posted By: Daimoth
Date Posted: 18 December 2013 at 10:14am
Question, does the name "Pixl" in any way indicate the type of civilization on the planet? Like, should the artifact look like something blocky and pixellated but in a 3d world?

Posted By: Jinn
Date Posted: 18 December 2013 at 10:43am
I think it's open for interpretation, Daimot.

Date Posted: 18 December 2013 at 11:20am

Whoa phraktol! Those colors look totally cool and it does indeed look like something extraterrestrial. I already have a favorite for this challenge :D

Thanks! I appreciate it :D I'm putting a lot of effort into this design so its good to hear some encouraging words!

Posted By: BottleGnomes
Date Posted: 18 December 2013 at 5:55pm

a WIP! -- sort of figuring out what I want to do as I go
Worked on textures - still very much figuring out what I want it to look like myself!
V4 - still not sure what it is really (such is the fate of an alien artifact, I suppose) - just playing around with textures at this point
V5 - it waves!  I don't think I'll be able to finish before tomorrow, but it was fun anyway!  Hopefully next time will turn out better!

Posted By: CELS
Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 3:09am
Originally posted by Muxaun

V3:

still a lot to do.
I wish there were more WIPs here.

So do I.

That last one is extremely cool though. You have my vote already. Looking forward to seeing how it looks with transparency.

I do think the dark blue stands out a bit too much where you've used it for shading. If it was intended to make the thing look like it glows, that might work. But right now it just looks sort of misplaced, in my eyes. Especially on the bottom bit. But on the top bit, it looks like it's a reflection of light, which is cool.

Originally posted by BottleGnomes

a WIP! -- sort of figuring out what I want to do as I go

I would clean it up a bit, work on readability. Right now, it's hard to make out what the shape is, and what kind of texture it is. Dithering is extra challenging when you're working at this tiny scale, with an unfamiliar object of alien origin.

I was thinking for a while and then decided to stop working on the
reproduction device because...well, for obvious reasons. Maybe I will
work on it later, who knows.I decided to do something else
instead. It's an alien suit found on planet Pyxl but it doesn't really
belong to Pyxl's civilization but a different civilization which was
waging war against Pyxl planet. I was heavily inspired by baby gas masks
developed during the 1920s (google them, they're kinda creepy).Anyway,
I think this one is much better from color perspective and I also 
focused on line art first (just as jalonso suggested). However, I'm
still not sure about the metal box in the middle. I just can't see a way
to make it look better. Should the red reflections also hit that box
directly? Maybe the shape or perspective of the box is messed up

Very nice idea, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

I don't really feel qualified to provide edits, but I've tried to do it here anyway. I feel that your piece needs more colour and more distinct shadow. The "mask" is nearly spherical, so you should shade it like a sphere, right? And your palette arrangement doesn't make sense to me, because the dark brown doesn't work as a base for the dark purple, nor have you used it together with the green or grey elements, as far as I can tell. By the way, a lot of people will tell you never to use plain grey without any colour in it. Instead, try a grey-ish blue, or yellow or green.

The tube isn't shaded very well in my edit, because I wasn't sure if the light came from behind or in front of the mask, so I just left it.

Posted By: wigglywoo83
Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 4:47am
W.I.P.  Fossilized Disc... or Oozing cow pie.. Im working towards Fossilized Disc

Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 6:29am
Originally posted by CELS

And your palette arrangement doesn't make sense to me, because the dark brown doesn't work as a base for the dark purple, nor have you used it together with the green or grey elements

Yeah, I had a feeling my Holy Cross Custom Palette had some issues...

Thanks for the comment, CELS! I'll work on this today evening and make some update trying to put into practice all of that useful info ^^

Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 11:22am

V3:

I love how this is turning out man, looking great so far

Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 12:04pm
I think this is gonna be my final version. Anyone have any thoughts or input on the design before I upload it? I'd love to hear your critiques!

Posted By: Muxaun
Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by phraktol

I think this is gonna be my final version. Anyone have any thoughts or input on the design before I upload it? I'd love to hear your critiques!

Very nice.
The only critique I can give is that it is hard to understand its shape. So it looks more like tracery.

It'd be amazing if you could animate it rotating around vertical axis.

Date Posted: 19 December 2013 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by phraktol

Very nice.
The only critique I can give is that it is hard to understand its shape. So it looks more like tracery.

It'd be amazing if you could animate it rotating around vertical axis.

I considered animating it spinning, actually, but i think that's a little bit beyond my current skills lol, honestly i dont even know where i would start... frame by frame animation scares the hell out of me haha, but maybe i'll bake on the idea and see if i can muster up the stones to give it a try :P
Thanks for your input!

Print Page | Close Window