Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 10/13/2008: Zombeh, Zombeh, Zom Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 10/13/2008: Zombeh, Zombeh, Zom
    Posted: 13 October 2008 at 12:02am

CHALLENGE: Zombeh, Zombeh, Zombeh!

Its that time of the year...
This week you are challenged to pixel a Zombeh scene.

Rules:
Canvas Size: Your choice
Colors : 16 colors max
Transparency : allowed
Animation : allowed

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Zombeh, Zombeh, Zombeh! pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
minipuck
Commander
Commander

Quote minipuck Replybullet Posted: 13 October 2008 at 7:55am
im in, already got an idea on what to make.

edit: very early wip

Edited by minipuck - 13 October 2008 at 9:25am
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 13 October 2008 at 10:18am

should i go for this or save myself for pixelween.

decisions decisions.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Mitsu
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mitsu Replybullet Posted: 13 October 2008 at 6:51pm
To submit our piece, do we just post it in this topic?

Edit - I figured it out.

Edited by Mitsu - 13 October 2008 at 6:54pm
IP IP Logged
DoomDoom
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DoomDoom Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 2:31am
Ok I want to submit challenge
My wip: "Zombeh & Ghoulie ->GIVE ME YOUR HAND"

IP IP Logged
Souly
Commander
Commander

Quote Souly Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 10:25am
Get rid of jaggies, fix her far foot perspective on it is wrong.
His waist is really weird.

Actually now that I look at it her whole far leg is f**ked up.

Edited by Souly - 14 October 2008 at 10:26am

I am the jesus of PJ.
IP IP Logged
Claes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Claes Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 12:05pm
Hoping to join this one, do have some really interesting ideas for it... If I can work within the time line that is :/

They are many kind of zombies in fiction out there today, what im really hoping to se from this challange is a vast range of diffrent kinds of them! :)

Anyhow, if i acully start on this, I shall try and post the WIP.

Also: DoomDoom on your wip, have to say i really dont like the colours you have used for this one. The reds feel very odd when you see that they are clearly very old corpses, and thus its strange that the blood still have that "redness" in it, just does not work with that old dead greenish skin.
If there so decayed the organs should also show more of that not just the skin. Also the texture cuality of the skin should be more torn and ruff in my opinion.

The pose of the left female zombie is alright, do have a problem with that piece of gut having out tho, or whatever organ it is, could be alot more dramatic and effective. The zombie (or Ghoul?) to the right however... really does not work! it feels extremly out of place, and makes the hole images alot less dramatic aswell as gives the hole thing this "cartoony" feeling, in a bad way (his hair feels like it came from some bad manga.. sorry for putting it that way). There feet also looks like smurf feet! just put on those white huge socks and we got two zombie smurfs :/ think a pair of more proportioned feet would suit the two alot better.

Aswell as the hole composition of the images is very.. borring to put it lightly, very much to strait forward for my tast, think you should really work on that to, put them in a situation maybe?.

Do think you can put alot more effort in this one!
Hope i was not to
harsh saying all this, and hope that you fond it constructive :) Looking foward to se the new wip!

My first go on the forums of PJ!

Edited by Claes - 14 October 2008 at 12:08pm
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 2:37pm
very very early WIP

my first weekly challenge entry
IP IP Logged
Jinn
Commander
Commander

Quote Jinn Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 3:13pm

I hope I finish in time...

IP IP Logged
withalligators
Seaman
Seaman

Quote withalligators Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:09pm
Still very early... The idea was originally "disco is Dead"
I'm going to change the background and enlarge the frame to include more but for now looking for CC on the zom-beh
IP IP Logged
Mr. Gimmick
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Mr. Gimmick Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:31pm
I guess I'll add some stuff to my NES zombie, more detail soon to follow...
(WIP) 

Edited by Mr. Gimmick - 14 October 2008 at 8:32pm
IP IP Logged
jimmydark
Seaman
Seaman

Quote jimmydark Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 8:48pm
Cool! 

I just started doing pixel art and this will give me a good challenge.
IP IP Logged
Claes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Claes Replybullet Posted: 14 October 2008 at 10:51pm
Seems alot of you do rather strait foward portraits or front views for some reson :/

To must WIP's here now I would recomend a composition that is more challangeing.
IP IP Logged
Sig~
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sig~ Replybullet Posted: 15 October 2008 at 1:38pm
im working in this xD

Not is really great
IP IP Logged
RoboBOT
Seaman
Seaman

Quote RoboBOT Replybullet Posted: 15 October 2008 at 9:33pm
What is it with bare breasts in this week's competition? Not that I really mind, it just seems to be a trend thus far.
As for me, I'm working on something (without breasts, I'm afraid), but I'll save it for my final entry.
IP IP Logged
zlajonja
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote zlajonja Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2008 at 5:38am

wip so far... uni has started.. on work they are pressing me... so I hope I'll just finish it in time. :P

Anyways, any C&C is very welcome thanx :)

And btw. Jinn - you never cease to amaze me with you skill. :)

Sig - interesting...
somnabularian insomniac
IP IP Logged
dro man jerr
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote dro man jerr Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2008 at 6:35am
holy sh*t
awesome tits and gore lol
but the pumpkin man is done quite well
looks finished now haha
IP IP Logged
Jinn
Commander
Commander

Quote Jinn Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2008 at 9:57am
Thanks a lot guys!

It still WIP, but it's more close to finish now.
IP IP Logged
withalligators
Seaman
Seaman

Quote withalligators Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:00pm
Jinn,  Your gal has a weird right arm.  Glancingly it seems fine.  But after looking at it, it seems like she has two elbows or something.  Colors and such are nice.
IP IP Logged
Jinn
Commander
Commander

Quote Jinn Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:42pm
Thanks for the tip, withalligators!
I'll try to fix this!
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 16 October 2008 at 4:37pm

I wont make it on time maybe I should give up it would be the worst entry anyway but help if you can
IP IP Logged
Official-NeoSoft
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Official-NeoSoft Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 6:17am

I was planning on making a sleeping dude with zombies in/near his room. Check it out:

Only thing left is coloring it further.. Do I need to make the zombies more blue ( cuz it's night, the guy is also blue )?
Help me improve :D

Edited by Official-NeoSoft - 17 October 2008 at 6:18am
IP IP Logged
Raytheon
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Raytheon Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 1:32pm
pillowed
IP IP Logged
Ricki
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ricki Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 2:56pm
Agree with Raytheon. It doesn't look well if it's pillow shaded/pillowed.I recommend you to fix it..really :)
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 6:27pm

should I remove the black outlines?I hope I will finish it on time
IP IP Logged
Biophantom
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Biophantom Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 6:52pm
Ehh... I have no clue whether i'll finish this before the deadline.

I know the hand is too human fleshy coloured. I couldn't get the right "zombie" hue, so, i figured i'd recolour after i got all the dithering/shading done. It's my first peice of large pixel art (i'm used to spriting). >__>" Any suggestions? I'm mostly unsure how to handle the vast dirt background... Thanks in advance!

Also, i see some pretty amazing works so far... I'm really impressed by the quality and talent of the member's art here.
IP IP Logged
DoomDoom
Seaman
Seaman

Quote DoomDoom Replybullet Posted: 17 October 2008 at 10:58pm
Thanks Souly & Claes for yours constructive Crits
The remod of this preview is now posted in PJ Gallery and i think is now better
IP IP Logged
fbepyon
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote fbepyon Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 12:36am
[ REMOVED PICTURE ]

The image was edited...

Sorry; I don't have any other programs other than mspaint right now.  But here is my first challenge piece...

Edited by fbepyon - 18 October 2008 at 10:09am
IP IP Logged
zlajonja
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote zlajonja Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 1:05am
bloody photobucket added white as a background.. but anyways... this is a current wip:

somnabularian insomniac
IP IP Logged
Claes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Claes Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 3:29am
Well, its not that much time left for the challange... But as some might need some critic on there work now, il just make it rather short to se if you have time to improve the works a bit. Its about learning stuff from these things thats important after all :)

Official-NeoSoft: Just becose its night does not meen that things become blue, it depends on the light of the moon, but even then, most of the time its not a blueish light. Try and rethink what is the lightsource in your piece. Dont think you need to consentrate that much on that the shadows are correct or so, but more importantly what kind of colours work. I would suggest to have a nightlight, so you can draw all the light from that point.
Second, It feels like you have been trying to
squeeze everything to fit the canvass, it makes everything look extremly staged and makes the room unrealistic, the door can be half outside the image, you dont need to show everything to make us understand what it is. Also a thing that makes the room feel odd: why is there a door and a window leading in to the bedroom on the same side? Its like its a one room house!
You also need alot more work on your perspectives, if you want to have a image with some deep perspective, you need to apply that to everything in one way or another, its not always needed, but in your case it really does not work right now. the zombies under the bed, I guess you have tryed to make them look as the are stretched
underneath it. But becose the bed does not have any of the same perspective, it just looks like the zombies asses are stuck to the bottom of the bed.
You need to use the elements in your images in a more effective way to make us understand how the room is made up. Look at more reference images, dont do everything from your mind when you dont really know how it works.

pipe: Looking at yours, I really think you should try something simpler. Make only a zombie face or something that you have the energy to finish, you can be ambitious, but do it when you know can handel the hole image, would be sad if you endup with nothing but a halfdone piece by the end of the timeline. Right now, not many things are right oe makes a lot of sense. The idea itself now, ok, its a classic, but if your not adding anything new, or do not have the skill at the moment to pull it through, it will endup boring. Look up more pixelart tutorials, they have very good liks to it here on PJ.

Biophantom: If i understand correctly, its a zombie hand comming up from the soil right? Ok, first, I must say that the image is very huge! I se a problem with this as I think a big charm with pixel art is that you can fit alot of detail on a very smal area. So, looking at the time, I dont know now much time you will have to make the details on this. Ofcoures, there is no specific way to make pixelart however, so if you can make this piece work without doing to many details, then al I can say is that im looking foward to se it.
For the soil/ground do think about what kind of quality it has, is it in a grave yard? is it a old gave? are there roots that have grown over it? is there gass ontop of it? is it dry soil or have it been raning? all this does effect on how you can make it. Do remember to add some kind of shadow for the hand on the soil, and also the shading on the hand, so we can easyer understand that its comming UP from the soil. otherwise, it might endup looking very flat.
Just a question aswell, what up with the rose? :P feels very out of place. Some one left it at the grave maybe? even so, does not work.

fbepyon: yours is my favorit of all the WIPs here :) a simpel, yet interesting portrait of a zombie. I like the colours, would say the reds are a little to strong, compared to the decaying green skin. Dont know if you need a background, but dont have a white one, very destracting. Maybe make it look like a painting? a portrait with a frame and everything! would be interesting ;) Otherwise, read up on how you make the white area transparent, they have guides for that if you only have access to mspaint.

zlajonja: The zombie to the right, the arms are odd, looks like ha got two arms on the same side. The hump does not help because it looks like its the right arms shoulder and makes it look even more wrong.
Im not very fond of all your black outlines, aswell as the forms of your bodys, the anotomy is very of. Does not always matter, but if you want to keep it, then work more on your shading and colouring. decide a lightsource, I would say the computre screen, and draw all the light from there, making everything the light from the screen does not touch, becomes very dark, there for creating alot more moody and scary image.
For the colours, just work on more light colors, all the ones you use always feels like the come "directly from the tube" aslo try and stay away from the perfect black, they are alot more effective way of making things dark.

There we go! hope some of you finds it usefull, and good luck! dont think I myself will have time to join this challange :/ but theres always a next one :)

Cheers. Also, I did not correct my spelling to much in this one, hope everyone can understand it :/

IP IP Logged
Elk
Commander
Commander

Quote Elk Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 5:04am
your criticms make my jaw drop
IP IP Logged
Official-NeoSoft
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Official-NeoSoft Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Claes

Well, its not that much time left for the challange... But as some might need some critic on there work now, il just make it rather short to se if you have time to improve the works a bit. Its about learning stuff from these things thats important after all :)

Official-NeoSoft: Just becose its night does not meen that things become blue, it depends on the light of the moon, but even then, most of the time its not a blueish light. Try and rethink what is the lightsource in your piece. Dont think you need to consentrate that much on that the shadows are correct or so, but more importantly what kind of colours work. I would suggest to have a nightlight, so you can draw all the light from that point.
Second, It feels like you have been trying to
squeeze everything to fit the canvass, it makes everything look extremly staged and makes the room unrealistic, the door can be half outside the image, you dont need to show everything to make us understand what it is. Also a thing that makes the room feel odd: why is there a door and a window leading in to the bedroom on the same side? Its like its a one room house!
You also need alot more work on your perspectives, if you want to have a image with some deep perspective, you need to apply that to everything in one way or another, its not always needed, but in your case it really does not work right now. the zombies under the bed, I guess you have tryed to make them look as the are stretched
underneath it. But becose the bed does not have any of the same perspective, it just looks like the zombies asses are stuck to the bottom of the bed.
You need to use the elements in your images in a more effective way to make us understand how the room is made up. Look at more reference images, dont do everything from your mind when you dont really know how it works.

I know, I already before you commented made a perspective version

The door was ment to be a closet

OOPS: the leg of the bed is on the zombie's arm

Edited by Official-NeoSoft - 18 October 2008 at 5:32am
IP IP Logged
Claes
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Claes Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 8:16am
Elk: Well, guess il take that as an compliment, thanks :) Just feel like if there is something i think can be improved i might aswell write it all. And for some reason it always endup very long :/

I shall try to make this short

Official-NeoSoft: You say that you have made it into a "perspective version" but I still dont se any of the changes that you need to make it work.
The perspective of this image, feels like it should be a one point perspective, but all the perspective lines does not make any sense for that. It does not work when you say you want some 3d perspective to the image, and the only thing you do is to add some volume to the objects in the room, without thinking about if the lines that make up that object is correct. There are rules to how things will look like when they are at the back compared to thing in front.
Ofcoures the rules goes for thing that you want to make in a realistic perspective. So it can be very interesting when one break the rules to create something extremly interesting that cant be seen in real life. But to be able to breake these rules about perspectives you need to know them first, otherwise what you endup with is a images that just have strange and disstored perspective, that you can feel are not thought through properly.

sorry for the
preaching there, but just so you get my point :)

Look at the lines of the bed and the lines on the closet, also the zombies under the bed. why I say they seem stuck under the bed is becose they do not folow the same perspectives as the bed, not the same lines so to speak. As the bed is infront, I would not think that its
width would go all the way up to the closet, and non of the lines on the bed shows this. Now, look at the zombies under the bed, there you can clearly see that there bodys goes all the way too the closet! and there for, the illustion of the perspectives breakes, and they look out of place.
For the bed more over, you can now only se two of the 4 legs of the bed, but looking at the view point of this images and how long the legs are, one should be able to se all 4! If this bed then only should have 2 legs, then the bed is extremly thin instead. just take a look at a table at home, and bend down a bit, you can clearly se that all 4 legs are shown, you dont even need to bend very much.

Take a look at those thing first, then look at the hole of the image agan, the reson why i also mentioned before that its problematic that everything put together so tightly is that its a lot harder to get the perspectives right, as you have less things to show the disstances in the image, with mostly just the flat floor and walls, you cant show anything of this.

And one last thing, isent the window very very smal? its a bedroom not a bathroom right? :P

Very basic stuff, but basics are always the most important, I hope you dont get
discourage by all this or anything, as im only trying to help :)

Do google "one point perspective" if you dont know what it is.

Cheers.
IP IP Logged
fbepyon
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote fbepyon Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 10:12am

Removed the white background and added in a transparent one..

There isn't much else I can do to it..  Also adjusted the red color to more of a off purple red..
IP IP Logged
withalligators
Seaman
Seaman

Quote withalligators Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:16am
pipe: you took out my favorite part!  I thought that dead guy with the smiley face was hilarious! 
claes and official neo: I lived in a one room house almost exactly like that exept the closet was the front door while I worked in yosemite nps.  they call them "cabins" .
Biophantom: claes is right, that soil needs some detail.  his hand also ought to me dirty.  I think a neat detail would be an earthworm either in the soil or better, coiled around his fingers, snakelike (ie it got caught up as the zombie pushed his hand through the soil).  plus that would help demonstrate that his hand was recently under the dirt and he was not simply buried with one hand sticking out. 
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:32am

I will try to finish it but this is what it should look like in the end

Edited by pipe - 18 October 2008 at 1:12pm
IP IP Logged
Christoballs
Commander
Commander

Quote Christoballs Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 1:24pm

Here's my WIP... I don't have that much time to do it!! =O
Anyway it's an undead "Tecktonik" (yeah anybody who's french should know
about these guys =P). I'll add gore and so on when I get further... for now I'm not entirely sure of the perspective and anatomy =/. Any C+C is very welcome

Edited by Christoballs - 18 October 2008 at 1:25pm
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 2:13pm
hey pipe, max colors allowed is 16. and you really have a lot of work improving those jaggy lines, colors, shading, and anatomy, in some cases.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Metaru

hey pipe, max colors allowed is 16.

Sorry I didnt know that I have more than 16
EDIT:

Now there are 16 cols (at least I think so) and fixed shading a little could you give me some example of jaggy lines on my picture?thanks

Edited by pipe - 18 October 2008 at 3:14pm
IP IP Logged
withalligators
Seaman
Seaman

Quote withalligators Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 4:59pm
pipe: put back the smiley face guy!

Edited by withalligators - 18 October 2008 at 4:59pm
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 18 October 2008 at 5:15pm
@withalligators:how about putting smile on that zombie head would that do the trick?
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 19 October 2008 at 12:17am
jaggy lines: the window at the right, the boots, the bench, the lines of the zombies. in general try to keep all lines under 1 pixel thickness.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 19 October 2008 at 4:15am

jaggy lines: the window at the right, the boots, the bench, the lines of the zombies. in general try to keep all lines under 1 pixel thickness.

OK I was going to redraw that window anyway but now I see what you mean.Too bad there is no your entry for the challenge.Dont have time?
IP IP Logged
Christoballs
Commander
Commander

Quote Christoballs Replybullet Posted: 19 October 2008 at 8:43am

Guys I desperately need help for the trousers =O
Please comment and give your opinion, it is needed urgently!! ^^"
Thanks in advance =). The comp is looking good!
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 19 October 2008 at 4:49pm

in fact this is my entry.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2008 at 12:12am
yeah nice entry but could someone explain how to submit?Its urgent!!!
EDIT:figured it out too late
Last version

Edited by pipe - 20 October 2008 at 1:15am
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 20 October 2008 at 5:45pm
no ofense, but somehow im happy half of the entries in this thread didnt made it to the challenge.

put more efort in your entry, rather than just being conformist and draw 1 green guy with red lines over him.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
pipe
Commander
Commander

Quote pipe Replybullet Posted: 21 October 2008 at 3:51am

no ofense, but somehow im happy half of the entries in this thread didnt made it to the challenge.

put more efort in your entry, rather than just being conformist and draw 1 green guy with red lines over him.

hey, there are 4 green guys on my picture
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version