Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 5/28/2007: Finding Unusual Beau Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Anlina S.
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote Anlina S. Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2007 at 5:50pm
So I can pretty much guarantee that this is not going to get finished for the challenge, but here's my WIP. Just in the planning stage so far, so C&C is welcome on the lines. The colours are really roughed in, without much attention to anatomy, just blocky lighting.

I think if/when I get to pixeling this I'll probably reduce the size by 25 - 50%....
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:50pm
Here is my WIP... Our boys defending our lazy American asses.

Still a ways from finishing, I'm adding another soldier and still have more detail work to do.

Edited by Noburo - 31 May 2007 at 9:50pm
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by wish04

Her face should be more even with her hair line, it looks like it's all combed and centered at about a 10 degree angle from the middle of her head.

Do you get what I'm saying?

But that aside, it's looking GREAT!
IP IP Logged
zlajonja
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote zlajonja Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 1:35am
I'll be posting laters mine WIP, but, wish04..i think you should fix her left arm too..its kinda missplaced...

otherwise great:)

I luv all your works guys :)

Im new here and hope to learn from all of you :)
somnabularian insomniac
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 1:52am

all done now...

@wish: that is shaping up well.  other than what has been said, i see no major flaws. 
ಠ_ಠ
There's a pubic hair on my keyboard. What the f**k?? I "mow the lawn" so it's not mine. Gross.
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:14pm
Got the last person in, now I just need to do some more detail work.

Also, I gave them muscular, manly, butts for those women out there that get sexually aroused by pixels.

Edited by Noburo - 01 June 2007 at 8:16pm
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:23pm
um, how does this fit in the the guidlines?  and no, the asses dont count
ಠ_ಠ
There's a pubic hair on my keyboard. What the f**k?? I "mow the lawn" so it's not mine. Gross.
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:06pm
If men laying down their lives protecting their country isn't beautiful, then what is?

I have several friends that has served in Iraq, and another going over there in a few weeks. I'm paying me respects to them and all the other soldiers protecting us, be it American or... everyone else. What they are doing out there, putting their lives on the line to guard their family, and friends is something truly beautiful.  

The asses were just extra.

Edited by Noburo - 01 June 2007 at 9:14pm
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:22pm
i served, and i find nothing beautiful about them getting shot at all.  showing someone what can happen to them isnt showing them respect in the slightest, i find it downright disrespectful actually
ಠ_ಠ
IP IP Logged
Noburo
Commander
Commander

Quote Noburo Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:34pm
Ok then, I won't submit it. Sorry for any disrespect I implied towards you, it wasn't my intentions.

Edited by Noburo - 01 June 2007 at 9:36pm
IP IP Logged
NuffinInMyMuffin
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote NuffinInMyMuffin Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:42pm
I have to side with Ens on this one. Showing your friends their possible fate is not respectful, nor beautiful. Noburo, something that might be better for the war, is the soldiers prevailing or something along the lines of success.
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2007 at 1:14am
deleted.    

Edited by Metaru - 02 June 2007 at 2:13am
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2007 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Metaru

I'm risking my ass with my entry.

yup
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2007 at 2:15am
you damn near got yourself a suspension, so yes
ಠ_ಠ
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2007 at 3:33am
it never happened
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote Hapiel Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2007 at 5:41am
what did never happen?? 
IP IP Logged
xFiruath
Seaman
Seaman

Troll

Quote xFiruath Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:11pm

Woah, hold the mustard there guys.

I must respectfully disagree with your point of view in regards to the picture of the soldiers, Ensellitis.  The artist who did that picture clearly (and logically, I might add) explained how his art met the critera by saying :

"If men laying down their lives protecting their country isn't beautiful, then what is?
I have several friends that has served in Iraq, and another going over there in a few weeks. I'm paying me respects to them and all the other soldiers protecting us, be it American or... everyone else. What they are doing out there, putting their lives on the line to guard their family, and friends is something truly beautiful.  
the asses were just extra."

It is obvious that he meant no disrespect, in fact he obviously holds the soldiers in Iraq in high regard.  The only thing that seems disrespectful are actually your comments, in which you state that the only way to honor the soldiers through art would be to show them being triumphant.  (EDIT: I just realized I was mixing Ensellitis' comments with those of NuffinInMyMuffin, sorry to both)  I don't mean to make this a personal attack against you, but that is just plain wrong.  The war in Iraq is NOT being won by the U.S. soldiers, and they ARE being shot and killed every day.  Stating the truth (or expressing the truth through art) isn't being disrespectful.  In my opionon, filtering the truth through rose colored glasses is.

I also feel that the threat of suspension was way over the top and completely unnecesary.  The artist should be allowed to continue his work here and even submit it as an entry in the challenge.  If people disagree with his interpretation, then fine, let them and let them state why, but the whole point of this challenge was to find beauty where it wouldn't normally be found, and of all the entries on this thread so far, this particular piece of art fit that description the best.

Edited by xFiruath - 03 June 2007 at 1:17pm
IP IP Logged
NuffinInMyMuffin
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote NuffinInMyMuffin Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:27pm
Firuath: You have basicly just restated his argument but with more words. To be honest, I don't think showing your friends their possible fate is respectful, nor beautiful. Do you think showing your friends death is beautiful? And about your mini-rant against me. I know troops are being killed, and I honor them for that. But you think that because we are losing the war, and people are being killed there, that we can honor them by showing everyone there death? I don't think that is very respectful.
"Tea?" - William Shakespeare
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by xFiruath

It is obvious that he meant no disrespect, in fact he obviously holds the soldiers in Iraq in high regard.  The only thing that seems disrespectful are actually your comments, in which you state that the only way to honor the soldiers through art would be to show them being triumphant.  I don't mean to make this a personal attack against you, but that is just plain wrong.  The war in Iraq is NOT being won by the U.S. soldiers, and they ARE being shot and killed every day.  Stating the truth (or expressing the truth through art) isn't being disrespectful.  In my opionon, filtering the truth through rose colored glasses is.

fine, i think for your mothers next birthday, i am going to paint a picture of her in a coffin, that wouldnt be disrespectful at all, would it?  "thanking" someone by showing them their possible death is far from respectful.  and this has NOTHING to do with the iraq war, dont be one of those people that makes everything about it, either, i have heard enough of the "... because iraq" argument. 

i said nothing about the only way of showing respect is to show them being triumphant. i said showing them being killed is disrespectful.  there are many different ways to do it.

he may have not meant it, but he did it.

"I also feel that the threat of suspension was way over the top and completely unnecesary.  The artist should be allowed to continue his work here and even submit it as an entry in the challenge.  If people disagree with his interpretation, then fine, let them and let them state why, but the whole point of this challenge was to find beauty where it wouldn't normally be found, and of all the entries on this thread so far, this particular piece of art fit that description the best."

did you see the piece?  did you deal with him resubmitting it when i revised it?  we have quality standards.  a transparent box with a 1px border does not meet those.  and he knows the rules here, his piece was revised, and he KNEW that it was going to be, and he not only submitted it, he resubmitted it right after i denied it.

Edited by Ensellitis - 03 June 2007 at 1:35pm
ಠ_ಠ
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Ensellitis

a transparent box with a 1px border does not meet those.  and he knows the rules here, his piece was revised, and he KNEW that it was going to be, and he not only submitted it, he resubmitted it right after i denied it.

sorry?
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:03pm
i was making a point to him
ಠ_ಠ
IP IP Logged
xFiruath
Seaman
Seaman

Troll

Quote xFiruath Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:07pm

What's with this "showing people how they can die" thing you two keep referencing?  The artist didn't show any soldiers anything, he submitted a piece of pixel art for a challenge.  The point of this challenge was to show beauty where it couldn't normally be found.  Would people dying normally be beatiful?  No!  Could people dying to protect others be considering beatiful?  Yes!  Therefore this is a perfect example of the challenge's conditions.

The analogy of my mother in a coffin has no bearing whatsoever on this discussion.  My mother is not fighting and dying for my freedom.  The soldier's in Iraq are.  And now that I think about it, if you wanted to add more to that picture and eleborate on it, a picture of my mother's coffin very well could be honoring her, possibly by showing a family around it and how they all came together after her passing to acknolwedge her good works.  Great idea, and I just might even pixel that one myself for this challenge!

Also, Ensillitis stated that this "has nothing to do with Iraq".  The artist in dispute right now specifically stated several posts up that this IS about Iraq, as the piece was inspired because he has friends serving in Iraq.

I guess the issue just boils down to the fact that I feel that this piece is not disrespectful, and others seem to disagree.  Even if it is disrespectful, why prevent it from being entered?  At the least it will cause discussion and debate about it, raising awareness about the issue, and that isn't a bad thing.  I also don't recall seeing any disclaimer stating that art submitted for challenges can't cause contreversy.
IP IP Logged
xFiruath
Seaman
Seaman

Troll

Quote xFiruath Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:08pm
Ensillitis, I think you missed my edit.  Go back and read my original post and you will see that I did reference that I mixed your comments with those of another.
IP IP Logged
Ensellitis
Commander
Commander

Quote Ensellitis Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 2:17pm
discussion closed.  metaru's piece isnt allowed because it didnt meet quality standards.

the other one because it isnt within the guidelines of the competition.

nothing more about this here.  if you have a problem with it, contact the other staff.

if you signed up for pj only to bust my balls, then i think its time you left
ಠ_ಠ
IP IP Logged
Art_Sempai
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Art_Sempai Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2007 at 8:44pm
Here's mine...

A big beautiful gal and heavy hitter on her team.
Makes amazing entrance by leaping from the drop ship and making a crater in front of her teammates.

"Somebody call for backup."she says.

Poem-spell of Decay:
"By what creeps, what crawls, by what does not,
Let all that grows recede and rot."
IP IP Logged
Metaru
Commander
Commander

Quote Metaru Replybullet Posted: 07 June 2007 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Metaru

Originally posted by Ensellitis

a transparent box with a 1px border does not meet those.  and he knows the rules here, his piece was revised, and he KNEW that it was going to be, and he not only submitted it, he resubmitted it right after i denied it.

sorry?
just to clarify that i did not resubmit anything Ens. that's all.
I ate leel's babies
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version