Pixel Joint Forum : The Lounge : Resources and Support
Message Icon Topic: New PJ FAQ draft Post Reply Post New Topic
Hapiel
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote Hapiel Replybullet Topic: New PJ FAQ draft
    Posted: Yesterday at 10:27am
As we're reviewing our submission guidelines, I'm also looking over the FAQ. Right now there are two separate ones, one in the forums and one on the gallery site, but both contain a lot of outdated and irrelevant information.

The new FAQ should be short and concise, point new members in the right directions, support the submission guidelines and of course answer common questions. Although for some questions I don't mind if they're asked from time to time, that stimulates an active community...

Anyone is welcome to post suggestions and comments on these below!

----
Welcome to Pixel Joint. This FAQ answers the following questions:

What is Pixel Joint?
What activities are going on?
How do I improve my pixel art?
Why was my piece rejected?
How can I help?
What are points and ranking?
Who are the moderators?
How can I hire a pixel artist?
I have another question!

What is Pixel Joint?

Pixel Joint is a pixel art gallery and community site. Artists from all over the world come here to showcase their work, watch and comment on the work of others, learn and grow as an artist, join in with challenges and collaborations, make new friends, and much more. Whether you’re a complete beginner or expert artist, you're very welcome to join!

What activities are going on?

We highly encourage everyone to join our weekly challenges. Because of the suggested restrictions they are a great tool for beginner and advanced artists to sharpen their pixel skills.
We also host collaborations and special competitions in the forums, and occasionally, members organize events there as well. Keep an eye on the front page news - information on new events will always be posted there!

How do I improve my pixel art?

A great place to start is the Pixel Art Tutorial. If you're stuck, need extra guidance, or nearly finished and want a fresh pair of eyes to have a look at your work, you can post in the WIP forums, and we'll try to help you. Once you're sure your work is done, you can upload your work to the gallery and write in the description that you enjoy critique, which you can gather up and apply on future works.

If you're looking for pixel art software have a look at the software thread.

Why was my piece rejected?

All submissions are individually approved or rejected by our moderators. In order for your piece to get accepted, it must adhere with the submission guidelines and receive positive votes in the queue.

Our moderators approve or reject pieces based on a certain quality and technical level. We don’t accept hybrid pixel art that utilizes tools that distort the palette or the pixel clusters such as glows, gradients, etc.. This standard was created in the early days of Pixel Joint to separate the site from unmoderated galleries. We’ve held the same principles since.

If you’d like to check for palette issues or a high color count to find similar colors and clean up your piece, you can do so in your graphics editor or use the PJ Image Specs tool.

On top of requiring your work to be pixel art, it also must have a certain artistic quality. If you are a beginner at making art we recommend this general art tutorial which happens to be written by an expert pixel artist. Since all art judgement is incredibly subjective, we base our decision to reject or approve in part on votes in the queue from regular members.

If you believe we have mistakenly rejected your artwork, or you have questions about why it was rejected, you can post in the support forum where a moderator will respond to your issue.

How can I help?

Thanks for asking! This community is completely by members for members; without your input it could not exist.

Please rate the artworks you view - this is what generates the weekly and monthly top and helps us feature the best artwork on Pixel Joint! If you want to be nice to the artist, you could leave them a comment. Two sentences about what you like about their work can mean the world to the person who submitted it!

If you have some more time, the WIP forum always requires extra helping hands. Look for topics, especially those with few replies, and share your expertise or insights either through making detailed explanations or by drawing visual examples and edits.

If you know about some pixel art related news you can submit it here. We're also always interested in hosting original articles or interviews.

If you're feeling generous, Pixel Joint accepts donations, which go towards hosting costs.

What are points and ranking?

Points are accumulated by rating, commenting, submitting artwork, and receiving awards. They are meant to encourage users to engage and participate in the site events, mostly (bragging rights are important too). Your rank will increase after a certain amount of points -  you can read more about this in the Ranking faq.

To post in the forums you need at least 6 points.

To vote in the public queue you need to be at least level 2.

Who are the moderators?

You can find us on the about page. We're all volunteers, and happy to help and answer questions!

How can I hire a pixel artist?

You can post in the jobs forum and browse through the portfolio forum. In order to post you need at least 6 points, you can get those by rating 6 artworks or posting 2 comments.

I have another question!

Perhaps we’ve answered your question here in the old PJ FAQ. Otherwise, you can post your question in the forums, in the chatterbox, or use our contact form.

IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Online Status: Offline
Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 4:36pm
In "What are points and ranking", you may want to emphasise that rating pieces and commenting is a good way to accumulate enough points to use the forum. It seems like a lot of people submit things that aren't ready for the gallery because they want to post in the WIP forum, are unable to, and don't realize that they don't have to submit pixel art to get points.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version