WIP (Work In Progress)
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : WIP (Work In Progress)
Message Icon Topic: Character Sprite Post Reply Post New Topic
Andrade
Midshipman
Midshipman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Andrade Replybullet Topic: Character Sprite
    Posted: 30 April 2017 at 11:20am
So I had a little pet sprite for a long time now, about 16px high, and I used it at the latest lundum dare. So I think it's time for me to make a new one, and I'm doubling the resolution to 32px.

I am having a bit of trouble in making a good looking body and head, thats why the shades I could not make good eyes, at that size, I am not much for chibi stuff normally. I might increase the size but first i want to give a honest try at 32px.

So my current pickle is...

Friends asked me about giving her calves which i had tested and found the curve back to be too much and look a little too muscular. They did not liked it either, but now i kinda like it, i don't mind a bit muscular, specially after dicussing with a friend how muscular legs would make sense on a plataformer protagonist.

Opinions ?
IP IP Logged
eishiya
Commander
Commander

Quote eishiya Replybullet Posted: 30 April 2017 at 3:22pm
It's easier to do a pixel-over if you don't pre-zoom your art when you post it.

Since you want something that's less than a full pixel wider, you'll need to play with the pixel colours to create the illusion that the calves are wider than the ankles. Here's an edit attempting this, reads best on a midtone/dark background:

Higher contrast from background = illusion of greater thickness.
In addition to lightening the calves, I darkened the ankle on the front leg so that it looks "thinner" and so that the calf can look even "thicker" in comparison.
IP IP Logged
Andrade
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Andrade Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:06am
My bad, i have a small monitor and sh*tty vision, so i tend to preview pixel art at 2x but I had forgotten the boards here have good zoom support. Btw i am in a fresh install of windows and their default image viewer thing can't handle zoom without interpolation, if some one have a good sugestion for a lightweight image viewer i would apreciate.

Einshiya thanks for the reminder that I should not slack on my sub pixeling, but I was more worried about the siluette, I do intend on using this on a engine and I can't rely much on the background color.

Also wanted some general opinions too since upon presenting the first version to a few friends the response was "Need calves!" followed by "Ohh god take them off!". But then I got into the calves look.

Here is it so far...

Figure out the face, kinda. Went for shorter hair since i got problems in the past with long har obscuring body animation, like ladder climbing.

IP IP Logged
RebeaLeion
Commander
Commander

Quote RebeaLeion Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2017 at 2:07pm
It looks like if her knees are on the opposite side and wrongly placed too. I wouldn't add such muscle details to such small sprites. (your first left sprite has better legs imo - in the first post) But it's just my opinion, pixelart dont have to be realistic.
IP IP Logged
Andrade
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Andrade Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2017 at 6:06pm
Thanks for the feedback RebeaLeion but, inverted knees?.. is it that bad ?

Made a little test to see if i could have more dinamic poses for animation on this proportions, I am happy with the energy of the pose, gotta touch up that back leg and other details but its just a test for now.
IP IP Logged
Andrade
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Andrade Replybullet Posted: Yesterday at 7:57pm
Hope this is not considered necro posting... so after a year I picked up this sprite again to play with.

Mainly because i bought Asesprite and I like it a lot, very chill to animate on it. I made her hair a brighter color cause I wanted the eyelashes to pop a bit more so her eyes
dont't just blend in with the hair, still gotta rework all the colors at some point.

Maybe this time I make that run cycle... or maybe next year, who knows?

Cheers!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version