Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 5/18/2015: Deep Sleeper Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 5/18/2015: Deep Sleeper
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: Deep Sleeper

Show a character sleeping or napping while some sort of activity/event unfolds around them. It could be anything from a cat knocking over furniture to an alien invasion.

Canvas Size - 200 x 200.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Deep Sleeper pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

Edited by skamocore - 18 May 2015 at 12:01am
IP IP Logged
clefairykid
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote clefairykid Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:20pm
no time to do much yet but I wanted to sort out a composition and idea to come back to once homework is done XD

(colours are just rough and subject to change, as is pretty much all of the texture and shading, just don't want to forgot my idea XD )

going to add those texta scribbles on it's face and maybe a little naughts and crosses on the stomach at the end too XD if I were better with animation I wanted to do a close up and show it actually drawing the faces but that's a bit beyond me :P
IP IP Logged
cmmrc
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote cmmrc Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2015 at 11:18am

This is going to be an homage to Goya's "The sleep of reason creates monsters" if I get to finish it, starring some of the creatures I remember from some old nightmares of my own. Haven't done much yet, obviously.

Update:

Update 2:

Edited by cmmrc - 22 May 2015 at 11:11am
IP IP Logged
dyluck
Commander
Commander

Quote dyluck Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 1:01am
Here's a tiny wip, from a scene of RPG Panic. Any suggestion for fitting the pallete with a night scene would be great.
:S

Edit: I just noticed that the canvas should be 200x200, (not at max) so the scene it's just out of weekly challenge. I was thinking of animating the Shoggoth going out from under the bed.

Edited by dyluck - 21 May 2015 at 1:18am
IP IP Logged
cmmrc
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote cmmrc Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:42am
Reminds me more of a Ythian or Starspawn than a Shoggoth to be nitpicky; I doubt an entire Shoggoth would fit under a standart human house, yet alone bed. ;)
I also assumed he came in from outside, feels conflicting with him poking out from, well, under the bed. Maybe either close the window or maybe make him get in from outside?

IP IP Logged
dyluck
Commander
Commander

Quote dyluck Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:57am
Yep, a Shoggoth should literally be the size of a railway carriage, the explanation of the scene is that is not yet out entirely of a supposed portal under the bed. :P
But who I am to  argue against a master?! I've seen some of your Lovecraft stuff and it all really rocks! ;)

Edited by dyluck - 21 May 2015 at 8:59am
IP IP Logged
clefairykid
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote clefairykid Replybullet Posted: 22 May 2015 at 6:39am
spent all day on it and then realised I didnt like what I did with it... x- x but now I think I'm making a little progress... less is more sometimes I guess XD

edit: so the trouble was that I pixelled the whole ground texture seperately to keep a tight control on the colours, but then realised it was a realistic sort of ground, and not the over light, bleached type of ground you see in the series, so I went back to my old one but initially I'd only really defined the top half of that ground and left the bottom unworked planning to crop it not realising we had to stay this size. Then I had the idea to put a text box from that era in, which perfectly hides that area, although, if I can get time to fix the bottom, I'd like to learn to animate the text box appearing in a smooth manner and maybe the text (I know the text animation, but would like a better transition for the box than just "boom appear").

going to redo the tree/bushy area with an extra green so its not so sparse and considering maybe the last colour being a dark navy blue to help define the snorlax more (realised that jigglypuff is simple and outlined like in the games, almost as if it's a moving part in the picture, but the snorlax is not).

last, adding texta scribbles and some textas on the ground beside it.

have attempted to add highlight and shadow shading to snorlax but having so trouble with that, especially the highligt, I know what colours to use and they suit but the positioning is annoying and I dont think dithering really helps him to stand out as a pokemon figure, but he's quite large so... hmm

Edited by clefairykid - 22 May 2015 at 3:53pm
IP IP Logged
GUNINANRUNIN
Seaman
Seaman

Quote GUNINANRUNIN Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:05am
It's looking pretty good so far! Just keep tweaking things. Add a little shading to that flat part of the tree bushes on the right. The tree trunks are also looking pretty flat. A little AA would probably go a long way on Snorlax's body. You should probably be able to see one of his feet also, since if you look at a picture you can see that his legs are almost on the side of his body.

Keep it up!
IP IP Logged
andylittle
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote andylittle Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:47pm
Too late started to work, but tomorrow I`ll try to polish it..

Update (№5):

Edited by andylittle - 24 May 2015 at 2:34am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version