Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 5/26/2014: Towel Day Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 5/26/2014: Towel Day
    Posted: 26 May 2014 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: Towel Day

To celebrate Towel Day, depict a character/creature holding, wearing, or otherwise using a towel.

optional bonus challenge:
depict someone using towel for survival or violence.

Canvas Size - Max 128 x 128.
Colours - Max 25.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Towel Day pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
Sprayah
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sprayah Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:58am
Hi Pixel freaks! I just discovered this site today and thought I would enter a challenge.

This is Zaphod Beeblebrox whipping some ass! (with a towel)

This is just an early mockup. I'm going to go to town on his movement, with a breath/ bounce cycle and some secondary animation of the hair and back arm.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Sprayah

...just discovered this site today and thought I would enter a challenge...

Before you get going review these
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5692
IP IP Logged
Sprayah
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sprayah Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2014 at 6:19am
Thanks Jalonso! Very helpful of you.
IP IP Logged
JaredOnYT
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JaredOnYT Replybullet Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:00pm

the actual size is 100X100, I just enlarged it for you kiddies. Any thoughts?
IP IP Logged
Sprayah
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sprayah Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:54am

Zaphod version 2.0. I'm just mucking about trying to find a pleasing colour scheme. Knocking the hue of his right head back a bit to his main head forwards. I Added a 1.5px stroke of dark brown then painted in his inner outlines in photoshop.
IP IP Logged
JaredOnYT
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JaredOnYT Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2014 at 8:12am
That's awesome!
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by JaredOnYT

the actual size is 100X100, I just enlarged it for you kiddies. Any thoughts?

Nice. Clever idea :)

- No need to enlarge it. Doing so only complicates things for people who want to help you with an edit.
- I would like to see both the phone booth and the doctor a bit closer to the center, with more air around them.
IP IP Logged
TrojanMonkey
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote TrojanMonkey Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:40pm

Zaphod version 2.0. I'm just mucking about trying to find a pleasing colour scheme. Knocking the hue of his right head back a bit to his main head forwards. I Added a 1.5px stroke of dark brown then painted in his inner outlines in photoshop.

Still not pixel-art..Looks more like Oekaki.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2014 at 11:14pm
Looks cleaner than most of your work. And if we're to go by your reasoning, then maybe we should remove your entire gallery?
IP IP Logged
Limes
Commander
Commander

Quote Limes Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2014 at 11:51pm

The nose on the red headed person seems odd to me. I am also unsure if you are allowed to use the automated tools because they are uncontrolled you have to manually make the outlines. But that's just my understanding. It has some great potential. Depending on the animation quality it could be top 3 material. Depends how many pixel art legends are entering this one XD.
IP IP Logged
MrBeast
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote MrBeast Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 2:05am
Oh, boy, stop judging. There is nothing in that picture that would suggest that the artist didn't have control about what he is doing. It just looks a bit unusual because it is anti aliasing against a implied white background which most people don't do, but that's hardly reprehensible.
IP IP Logged
Sprayah
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sprayah Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 3:14am
JaredOnYT : I reduced your pic down to 100px and sorry to say it doesn’t really work at the moment.

Fortunately there are some simple fixes such as CELS suggests. Basically I would make the Dr(or the tardis) bigger at least twice the size and move away from the border to give yourself a clear point of interest.

Here is a tutorial which helped me with a similar problem, where to put my figures in a composition:

http://youtu.be/CgXboIrbKec?t=46m47s

Hope this helps :-)

IP IP Logged
Sprayah
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sprayah Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 3:23am
Hey guys.

Glad that you are discussing my piece. I am learning new many new things such as oeakai.

As for the definition of what qualifies as “pixel art” I will leave that to others. My understanding is that if it has been worked on down on the pixel level then its pixel art, which I have done on his inner outlines such as under his middle arm, and will do more of this "pixel pushing" for his face and hair.

Currently I am working in Illustrator down at 128px size, I plan to output vectors to animate them in flash, then output as PNGs to touch up areas for each frame up in photoshop. That’s my workflow at the moment, I would love to learn more about yours.

Now Limes asks an interesting question over weather applying an outer stroke is “uncontrolled” and therefore not pixel art. I could paint in the outlines by hand and achieve the same effect only I would probably spend an extra half hour per frame. This is not how people work in the commercial world, where a client on a whim will often say: “That’s great, but could we make the outlines thicker/ thinner please?” There goes another half hour per frame with no guarantees that it will be correct. Right now the same task would take me about two minutes total to create a photoshop automation to handle how ever many frames.

From my perspective any tool you use which increases your output whilst creating the look you envisaged is valid. I encourage you to work smarter, not harder...
IP IP Logged
MrHai
Commander
Commander

Quote MrHai Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 3:51am
Man, "what is art"-type discussions are scary, seems a very touchy subject for many. Some have a hard time separating critique of the piece and the person, both in those who give and those who take.

It boils down to your definition of pixel art, though. I'm still a newcomer here, but as far as I've understood, if you use tools that automatically place pixels (and choose colors) for you, taking away pixel-level control, it is not considered pixel art.

There was a discussion about this not long ago: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18633
"Work is more fun than fun"
-John Cale
IP IP Logged
MrBeast
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote MrBeast Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:07am
if you use tools that automatically place pixels (and choose colors) for you, taking away pixel-level control, it is not considered pixel art.
The question is not what the tools do, but what the result is, for example the "Cloud" filter, it creates tons of uncontrolled pixels.

Now what happens if you use a "Threshold" filter afterwards? It reduces all the colors created by the Cloud filter to 2 again, which is quite controllable.
IP IP Logged
MrHai
Commander
Commander

Quote MrHai Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:12am
That's a good point.
"Work is more fun than fun"
-John Cale
IP IP Logged
JaredOnYT
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JaredOnYT Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:38am
Thanks, everyone! I'll work on it after school! You guys have inspired me! (That doesn't sound cheesy or anything):P
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 10:12am
Originally posted by MrHai

Man, "what is art"-type discussions are scary, seems a very touchy subject for many. Some have a hard time separating critique of the piece and the person, both in those who give and those who take.

Yeah, it's tricky, but it's absolutely necessary for a website like this, otherwise it just ends up as DeviantArt or something.

In regards to software-generated outlines with AA, my personal opinion is that if you can't tell the difference between manually drawn and software-generated, then it should be allowed. Because, thinking practically, there's no way to enforce a rule if interrogation and confession is the only way to know if someone has broken it.

I worry more about low quality pixel art, rather than good artists taking a few shortcuts to accomplish something they could have done manually anyway. As long as it looks like pixel art, it's usually fine by me.

I know that no one really requested my opinion on the matter, but I just wanted to explain my view, to make it clear to new members that not everyone here demands all pixel art to be made on an IBM 80386 computer with Windows 3.0.

Edited by CELS - 28 May 2014 at 10:13am
IP IP Logged
JaredOnYT
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JaredOnYT Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 12:16pm
Alrighty, Spent about 75 minutes on this. Still needs work (a lot of work) but I took your guys's advice about centering the point of interest. I also added some more detail, and I added a palm tree because palm tress.

*Edit
Trees.

Also this piece currently has the max of 25 colors

Edited by JaredOnYT - 28 May 2014 at 12:17pm
IP IP Logged
buprettyinpink
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote buprettyinpink Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 2:13pm
oh yay, towel day :)

IP IP Logged
Slerpy
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Slerpy Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2014 at 12:06am
Very new to pixel art but wanted to try anyway, also all these entries look fantastic! :D

IP IP Logged
JesusOrly
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JesusOrly Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:27pm
Quick question for the challenges in general:
Can I submit more than 1 art per challenge?
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by JesusOrly

Quick question for the challenges in general:
Can I submit more than 1 art per challenge?

Yes, multiple entries are fine.
Just remember that quality is better than quantity, k.

Edited by jalonso - 29 May 2014 at 6:02pm
IP IP Logged
TrojanMonkey
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote TrojanMonkey Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 3:46am
Originally posted by JaredOnYT

Alrighty, Spent about 75 minutes on this. Still needs work (a lot of work) but I took your guys's advice about centering the point of interest. I also added some more detail, and I added a palm tree because palm tress.

I think your style will benefit a lot from a more simplistic shading, or the general lack of it. Something Superbrothers-esque.

Ergo, I suggest you remove most of the shading on the tree and on the Tardis, and move those extra colours around...Or better yet, just use the same palette for all of the components to truly tie them together, just in variance in intensity and saturation.

Imo, the beauty in minimalism, not just in pixel-art, is to combine very plain and boring components on their own; only to be put together to make a gorgeous whole. The same can be said about anime, really.
(Try to solely judge how a character's head looks like without the rest of the body to accommodate it. Most of the time, it'll look like shiat as a single component.)

Edited by TrojanMonkey - 30 May 2014 at 3:50am
IP IP Logged
Zamaj
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Zamaj Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 12:16pm
Mine's a bit dark... both literally and figuratively.

I'm going to continue to refine it, and work on the bathtub area a lot more, but is there anything that stands out as needing to be fixed?
IP IP Logged
JesusOrly
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JesusOrly Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2014 at 12:18pm
I guessed that, just asking in the case that in a distant future I have more than 1 idea. I just recently started doing some pixel things, but I'm still pretty bad at it xD
IP IP Logged
Skoby
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Skoby Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 3:27am
It's been a really long time since I last did a pixel, but I've been meaning to get back into pixelling and this challenge really appealed to me (love Hitchiker's guide) not 100% done but mostly there. I've mostly done this on my lunch breaks using my phone (note 3, stylus is really handy for this. Unfortunately the contrast and colours are slightly off on my laptop compared to my phone, so will be doing a bit of tweaking before submitting.

IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 9:35am
Zamaj: I really like its atmosphere! Good luck at fleshing it out. Though, maybe you could make the highlight tones just a tad bit brighter after all?
I am also loving the Doctor Who and Game of Thrones ones :)

I couldn't pass up a tribute to Hitchhiker that has such a potential for drawing female butts at the same time, so this is what I will be trying to go for:
IP IP Logged
Whisper Heart
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Whisper Heart Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 10:21am
criticism please
IP IP Logged
JaredOnYT
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JaredOnYT Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 1:19pm
Not sure what it is, but I love it! I'm sure I'm just an idiot, but I honestly don't know what it is.

HOWEVER...

In terms of the composition itself, I'm very pleased. The flame actually gives the viewer a sense of warmth, and the table is proportioned very nicely. Maybe make the towel a more vibrant (unless it's supposed to be that way because it's a reference to something. Remember, I'm a dumb)

Anyways, very cool! Thanks for sharing!

EDIT:

Yep, I'm stupid. I'm an Orthodox Christian, so I should have NO excuse for not knowing what that is. Therefore, seeing that it is an icon makes me love it even more!

Edited by JaredOnYT - 31 May 2014 at 1:20pm
IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 3:10pm
Whisper Heart: Nice composition indeed! Maybe you could add some shading to the white parts of the towel as well and show some hints of the table leg? Making the candle of different colour than the flame would be great too. Though I really like that flame itself, it looks lively!

Meanwhile an update

I am trying to make the body look less static before moving onto her right arm, but not sure how could I do that without spending endless boring hours on it.. I think I will try to do something with the shoulders and shoulder blades.
IP IP Logged
JackBread
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JackBread Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2014 at 3:54pm
Might as well start posting this here:
Just need to finish the background and make the hair.

Originally posted by SoraAkihiru

Meanwhile an update

I am trying to make the body look less static before moving onto her right arm, but not sure how could I do that without spending endless boring hours on it.. I think I will try to do something with the shoulders and shoulder blades.

I like it! I like how you made her skin textured like that. For less static, maybe you can have her hips move, as if she were shifting her weight?
Also, there's a frame where the towel pops in front of her arm for no reason.
IP IP Logged
Whisper Heart
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Whisper Heart Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2014 at 2:42am
JaredOnYT: Yes, with a towel was difficult, it is the only option that I accept. Glad you liked it, thank you!
SoraAkihiru: Thanks, I tried to make a blackout, but I was not satisfied:(
IP IP Logged
Sprayah
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Sprayah Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2014 at 4:43am
Here is my final entry:

I'm having a problem logging on to the main site so I may not be able to post this to the finals, which is a shame.

Some great entries here, good luck everyone!
IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2014 at 8:24am
Jackbread: Since you have already uploaded a finished piece I guess a critique is pointless. Still, the movement is amazingly fluid! And thank you for pointing out the arm issue :)

Sprayah: The final result looks great :) I hope that you will be able to post it afterall, would be a shame not to join after working so much on it!

I am almost done myself, all thats left is the arm and endless small edits animation-wise... Sigh, animation is my weakest point, such a tedious work.
IP IP Logged
Pringles
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Pringles Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2014 at 9:19pm
I just started with only a few hours to go. Will see if I can finish.

IP IP Logged
Pringles
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Pringles Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2014 at 11:38pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version