Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 2/24/2014: Dangerous Mix Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 2/24/2014: Dangerous Mix
    Posted: 24 February 2014 at 12:01am

CHALLENGE: Dangerous Mix

This week, multiple challenge winner, Muxaun wants you to create a scene featuring a potion (or potions) or the process of potion creation.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 15. You have to use both colors from at least one of these three color pairs:

Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Dangerous Mix pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2014 at 2:04am
My current idea draft, may change a bit!

I'm thinking going with pair 2, but I'm not so sure yet.
Should I make the flask smaller?

EDIT: Just getting the colours down

Edited by vrine - 24 February 2014 at 9:34pm
IP IP Logged
Baianinho
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Baianinho Replybullet Posted: 24 February 2014 at 6:26am
Very good Vrine! I wanna see it finished! my beginning is not as good as your but if anyone can help me welcome aid
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2014 at 2:15am
Crude sketch done in MS Paint at school. To be honest, I myself think that the anatomy is a little weird and that the arms seem too short
IP IP Logged
Pringles
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Pringles Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2014 at 12:36pm
You could call the short arms just a funky style choice....   The fingers remind me of the grinch.
IP IP Logged
Lusque
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Lusque Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2014 at 1:16pm
I will make thus :

:

Edited by Lusque - 25 February 2014 at 6:56pm
IP IP Logged
kaleidos
Seaman
Seaman

Quote kaleidos Replybullet Posted: 25 February 2014 at 6:02pm
The potion more evil will emit something like coronal line. It is floating on the volcano or something harder. And heated them because of the high temperature. In the bottle/tube, the potion is rolling.

This is what I want to draw.How to show the coronal line or the rolling potion?It is very thankful to give me any advice.

I put the potion on a box. This box has some death information.
v2

v3

Edited by kaleidos - 01 March 2014 at 6:03am
IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 2:46am
@Baianinho
Thanks, I can't wait to see yours done too!

@Eggy
I like where that's going, looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

I think I'm done. Any tips or crits are really appreciated! I had a hard time making the streams look good, so any tips with them would be fantastic. I also have a few colours I could add, so if anyone thinks I should add extra anywhere please let me know.

IP IP Logged
Muxaun
Commander
Commander

Quote Muxaun Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 4:58am
@vrine: Oh please don't leave it like that.
The top is good, but the bottom part is oversimplified. You can add some detail to the retort (make it look like real glass), add some details to the background (maybe some simple pattern).

And please make the streams more shiny like this:

currently they are looking like folded cloth.

I really care about this piece because it is a very good one.
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 6:39am
Nice stuff as always, vrine. Don't know if this helps, but:

- The contrast between blue and cyan is way too harsh in my eyes, so I think you need another colour there.
- The liquids look luminiscent, which I guess is why the potion bottle has no dark side. I have no frickin idea how to draw a bottle containing a glowing liquid, so I can't help with that. But the funnel needs a bit of light from the glowing liquids below, I think. I assume the foam doesn't glow (because... something), so I didn't add any light to the top rim.
- I assume the tiny heart inside the potion is left on purpose, but perhaps it could be a bit smoother and discreet? Actually, the whole potion needs to have smoother transitions between yellow and blue, in my eyes. I get that you don't want the two colours to mix into green, so maybe look at how different oils behave when mixed in water.

So what's with your passion of yellow and blue, anyway?

Edited by CELS - 26 February 2014 at 8:33am
IP IP Logged
Gecimen
Admiral
Admiral

Quote Gecimen Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 6:51am
@Vrine; if you want the liquid seem to be pouring instead of being thrown up, just lower the pouring point inside the mouth, i.e. get them closer to the tongues. Right now it seems like it's getting out with a projectile power.
IP IP Logged
JiJi_Vincent
Seaman
Seaman

Quote JiJi_Vincent Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 8:26am
I started on this today; not sure where to take it.. more colors? Ideas?

IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 9:28am
Glad to see some positive feedback :)
Anyways, I have made progress.

I sketched a tail in (since it was missing, and I though I didn't have enough room for it while at school), and did a little change to the left (our right) arm. Also, the potion was originally going to be cyan but it ended up being magenta instead since I'd be using less colors instead, so a crucial color is being used on the eyes only... again. Also, I feel the shading is a little off and don't know what to do with it; just in case you need to know, the potion itself is the defined light source.
Fact: I first drew it on paper, and then sketched it in MS Paint by heart (meaning I didn't scan it) at school.
Fact 2: I can't think of an appropriate title. Seriously, I can't, so I need some help. I have "Wizard rip-off" as a placeholder title since I can't think of a better one, and would like some help on figuring out a better title.
Looking forward to finishing this!
IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 10:16am
I still need to find a way to incorporate the challenge colors into it, it's not 100% done btw and I REALLY need to tone down on my colors, the count is too high :(

Cure has been my biggest inspiration so far (here's the piece http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/58765.htm)

My main idea is that it's going to be a "Potion of Life", basically the tree with waves inside of a bottle of some sort. I'm going to try to make the bottle more "potiony" instead of a wine bottle.

I'm also using this piece by Noet for help with the waves http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/51593.htm

I'm going to switch the waves colors in the end so don't worry about that ;)

@Eggy
The one thing that looks a bit weird is the colors on the face imo. I think that you should use the two challenge colors for the potion only and use separate colors for the face (maybe a blue color like this guy http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130803100425/samuraijack/images/4/40/Short_Mischievous_Scientist.png)

Edited by ADrawingMan - 26 February 2014 at 10:25am
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 12:09pm
ADrawingMan@ I'd gladly take your advice, but I just feel it's fine the way it is, and from my own perception of your post, taking your advice would mean adding up to the challenge (since I'd have to use entirely different colors for the character) and probably the color palette, and I don't see what's wrong with using the required colors outside of the potion. I may be wrong, but that's just my point of view for personal reasons. Thanks anyway, your advice still does help a little even though I can't actually take the advice.
Some more progress:

Ech. I figured out how to put cyan in the potion; I added fizz to the potion, and it seems to be working out. But I wonder if it's going to be enough?
EDIT: More progress:

Edited by Eggy - 26 February 2014 at 12:38pm
IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 4:53pm
@Muxaun
Thank you so much for your advice, that definitely makes the stream look less cloth like! I've incorporated your advice into a newer version, so hopefully it looks a bit less simple now. Thanks once again!

@CELS
Thanks for your advice too! I've tried smoothing out the light blue on the dears face, I actually forgot I had a colour in my palette already that was capable of doing that. I've also taken your advice and added a bit of glow to the flask, hopefully it looks a bit better now!

@Gecimen
Thank you! I'm actually going for a more projectile-vomit like stream, so it's good to know that's how it appears.

@Eggy
I agree with ADrawingMan, having the character the same colour as the potion kind of takes away from the main focus (which I'm assuming is the potion). It's coming along nicely though!

@ADrawingMan
That's beautiful, I'm absolutely loving that so far.

Here's my updated version, hopefully it's improved a bit!

IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 26 February 2014 at 9:29pm
@vrine
aw man, your's is coming along beautifully! The animals are realllllly well done!

@eggy
It's starting to look awesome with more of the body taking shape ;)

Okiedoke, here it is so far.

Basic outline, then a bit of color (inspiration taken from gas13's bottle piece), and finally a more simplistic approach.

The two challenge colors aren't really "dominant" throughout the piece so I'm not sure if that's cheating a bit :P.
I managed to keep to the constraint though, using only 15 colors (huzzah), I'm pretty sure I'm close to calling it done, maybe just a little bit of tweaks here and there?

I really wanna try to give it a backround too..
Oh yeah, it's gonna be called Essence of Eden :)

EDIT:
I think it looks better with a dark backround

Edited by ADrawingMan - 26 February 2014 at 9:34pm
IP IP Logged
Mr.Fahrenheit
Commander
Commander

Quote Mr.Fahrenheit Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:43am
Please dont dither the glass reflections :c
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 5:55am
@vrine: looks much better

@ADrawingMan: Very nice idea and good execution. I think it would be even better if you just extended the bottom of the bottle a little bit, so we could se some of the liquid's depth. Right now, we're only seeing the surface of the liquid, we're not seeing anything from the sides, which makes it look painted on. It doesn't look so much like the bottle actually has any real liquid in it. Does that make sense?

Will you be adding some shadow beneath the tree?
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 7:24am
The character isn't the same color as the potion; the character is black, and the reason the lighting is purple is because the potion is purple and, since it's a glowing potion (therefore it's the light source), it emits a purple glow which reflects onto the character, which results in what you see. Pointing it out just in case you didn't know ;) Dunno if that makes a difference though.
Also, cool to hear some more positive feedback :3
More progress:

Will probably have to do something with the shading. I though of refining the shading at the tail, but at the body... the rest of the body is hide/skin and I dunno what to do to make it look nicer. Any tips on that?
IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 7:32am
@Eggy
Isn't the character missing a left elbow? Otherwise it has great facial expression, looking forward to how it will evolve.

@vrine
Woah! What a beautiful piece! Amazing shading of waves and leaves. I also love the idea and composition! But wouldn't you like to add some details to the grass as well? Or maybe the bottle?

@ADrawingMan
Beautiful fur textures, those characters look so realistic! Though when I bring down my gaze from the characters, the potion itself looks bit blank. If you played with the shadows some more there as well, the piece would be perfect.

Here is the concept of what I have decided to draw. Though I still have no idea what will be the source of the backlight.
IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 8:10am
@Mr.Fahrenheit
Alrighty, so I took up your suggestion. I do think that the dithered does look good on the background color that I was using but since I'm probably going to use transparency making it non-dithered is probably a good idea. So yeah, I made a comparison for the two C:

@CELS
Yup, that makes sense. I made two variations of the water being extended, I think that the first one looks better than the third one imo but I'm not 100% sure (maybe the third variation needs a bit more touching up and then it'll look better?).
I managed to take out a color and replace it with a dark green shade for the grass. I'm not sure if I replaced the wrong color or not though (maybe I should take out a different color?). The color that I did take out though wasn't being used a lot, it was only used for a few highlights on the tree.

I also extended the neck of the bottle up a tad. And perhaps I should make the shadow on the grass a bit darker? And also, it doesn't look so good on PJ default backround :L

@SoraAkihiru
I think you swapped our names :D. But yeah, I'm definitely going to try to add details to the bottle itself (at least, that's the plan).
But yours is looking fantastic even though it's just the start! Great design you got going!

@eggy
I think he needs a bit of texture maybe? Here's just an idea of what the texture could look like http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/82038.htm
Almost like a scaly/bumpy type skin?
And I think that the tail shouldn't have so many highlights, since it's behind him the light should be hitting it a lot, and the dithering looks a bit wierd imo since it's only on the eye. It is coming along wayyy better from the start though.

Edited by ADrawingMan - 27 February 2014 at 8:42am
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 9:06am
I have no idea what I'm doing, but I had too much fun not to share.

Obviously, I did a lot of stuff. But I think it was important to create more room, more empty space to show the way the character is standing. And I made him look directly at the bottle, because that will guide the eye of the viewer to the focal point of your art. In this case, I guess the potion itself is the main focal point. Not the tiny, tiny bubbles coming out of the bottle.

EDIT:

ADrawingMan, this is what I meant:

Edited by CELS - 27 February 2014 at 9:29am
IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 10:11am
I see here many cool ideas!

This is what  I have done so far. I am using this image as a reference http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4976519725386782&pid=15.1 (I know, its not very original, but I liked that picture).

Edited by Otto - 27 February 2014 at 10:23am
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 11:06am
Fact: The character is female. I knew people would mistake her for a male :P Anyways, I think your edit does look better than the original... except the character herself doesn't actually have a beak, accessories, the feather texture and the depicted kind of ear on the head in my mind.
As for the texture thingy... I'm looking for the sphere-smooth type. I don't really see any other texture as fitting. :(
Progress:

Moved the arm and the potion, as well as the eye pupil. Removed highlights on the tail. Also changed the outline of the bottle. There was some cleaning up along the way as well. I don't know if I should move the tail too. Will deal with shading later on.
I also have at least one drawing of her, if you don't mind me linking to it so I can show what's she supposed to look like (although that one drawing only shows the upper part/torso like my current piece).
EDIT:

Decided to re-do the shading, but for some reason I'm still not fully satisfied.

Edited by Eggy - 27 February 2014 at 11:44am
IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 11:40am
@ADrawingMan
Oh! Sorry about that :) And thank you! As for the grass, it looks way better now! Though I would recommend making that shadow colour tad bit more contrasting.

@Otto
Nice reference picture, if you will manage to capture it's atmosphere your picutre will be really cool regardless of the originality. You are off with a steady start so good luck with that!

Managed to add some details to my girl meanwhile and got rid of the backlight since I couldn't come up with a reasonable source.

Edited by SoraAkihiru - 27 February 2014 at 11:41am
IP IP Logged
Baianinho
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Baianinho Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 11:42am

my entry is about a scientist who attempts to create a long time the potion of invisibility. he had unsuccessfully tested everything, and thought? what about saliva?
he asked his son spit and ... Eureka!
Could help me with some background that I can put behind?
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Eggy

Fact: The character is female. I knew people would mistake her for a male :P

Well, to be fair, I had no idea what "she" was, so in my mind the creature was fairly asexual. I might as well have called her "it".

Originally posted by Eggy

I also have at least one drawing of her, if you don't mind me linking to it so I can show what's she supposed to look like (although that one drawing only shows the upper part/torso like my current piece).

If you have a clear idea of what you want this to look like, then you should always post any drawing and reference that can help others give you advice. I just took a shot in the dark since you didn't post a reference or anything, so I figured you weren't working towards anything in particular.

The challenge with the shading is that you're dealing with a very unusually shaped creature and with a very peculiar light source. I don't recall seeing any creature or character with a head like that, for example. Even if you've just imagined a new creature from scratch, I still think you should look at other examples for the proportions. For one thing, her left arm is much, much bigger than the other, along with its hand. And the lighting on the skull doesn't resemble any kind of human or animal cranium, because it's hard to see any kind of cheek bone certain other normal structural features (nose ridge, eye sockets).

Hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:14pm
@Sora
That's really beautiful, I love it! And thank you for the advice on the potion, I'll see what I can do!
IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:15pm
Slowly working on the picture. I think the face looks horrible,  I am not sure how to finish it. On the other hand the shadows on the lower part of the body look strange to me...

Edited by Otto - 27 February 2014 at 3:19pm
IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 3:28pm
@Otto
For the face, try putting some highlights on the nose!

I added some different shades to the potion, hopefully it looks a bit more lively now!

Anything else I should change before I upload?
IP IP Logged
Muxaun
Commander
Commander

Quote Muxaun Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 10:48pm
@vrine:
1)review the retort. You can just search for "retort" in google to see how the glass looks. Glass is reflective - yes, but it is not all white. Understand your light sources and the positions of the brightest objects and draw their reflections on the glass. Or you can at least just copy reflections from another picture of retort or similar object.

I am not good in specifying reflections, but I would reduce amount of white on the retort. (see a harsh example down here)

2) the funnel sits tight in the retort. It means no air can come out and the fluid cannot go into the retort because of air pressure. You could use some something like buchner flask to prevent this problem. :)

IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 27 February 2014 at 11:48pm
@Muxuan
Thanks once again for your critique! I tried super hard to darken the retort, but I really struggled to bring myself to do it! I removed some of the white, but like your edit, I think I could've removed more. I'm definitely going to have to practice glass after this challenge, because I had trouble placing the reflections as well. And you're definitely right with the need for air release, so I tried turning it into a Buchner flask like you suggested! Hopefully it's improved a bit, but I do feel I've let myself down with the flask. Thank you so much once again!

IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 3:17am
I have added a few touches in the face (those green eyes are supposed to be reflecting the light coming from the potion), more dithering in the clothes and a fancy frame. I have a spare colour, but I am not sure which/where it would be more useful.
IP IP Logged
vrine
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote vrine Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 4:32am
@Otto
The face looks better! I think you should be able to see her ear a little bit though, maybe try adding it in subtly?
IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 4:47am
@vrine
It looks awesome! I do think that the sheen on the blue and orange liquid spurt should be more white but other than that I think it's great!

@otto
Everything is looks great! My only suggestion would be to do something about the hands, they looks weird for me (it's probably just me), particularly right hand.

@Baianinho
I think maybe if you made a two color background featuring a lab of some sort (vials, desks and weird machines).

@SoraAkihiru
Aw man, that looks so awesome! The concept and her pose is fantastic, I can't wait to see how it progresses!

@Cels
Ah, I see... I'll try to post an update using that edit.

Edited by ADrawingMan - 28 February 2014 at 4:52am
IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 6:48am
Added the ear, did some small changes in the hand and on the robe. I added another colour (a shade of brown) to use the 15.

I think this is more or less finished.

IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 6:51am
@vrine
Your picture looks great, but I think the bottle could be improved, I have seen these images (http://pictures2.todocoleccion.net/tc/2008/10/12/Botella%20heineken..JPG    and     http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/85/02/46/8502466fe8b613b74e9e2273f8868bbf.jpg), perhaps the edges of the bottle should be darker. It is just an idea, hope it helps!
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 8:10am
I had no idea I should've posted a reference, but now I know. Thanks :)
Ok, I have a few drawings/sketches here, but just a little note, you'll have to copypaste since I don't seem to be able to link .jpg images for some reason. Also, they may look a little faulty; I haven't mastered the art of drawing fully yet, and I do have issues with anatomy and stuff.
Original sketch of my entry piece: http://i.imgur.com/OZj65z8.jpg
"Portrait": http://i.imgur.com/MyNCdMt.jpg
Random sketch (I find this to be a throwaway though): http://i.imgur.com/fwVwDw2.jpg

I'm more into the cartoony style, so I'm not really aiming to make it look too realistic or something. I hope you find my references useful :)
Progress:

Decided to try to take shading to the next level. I hope I'm done by the time the deadline steps up.
EDIT:

Figured out I can do stylized/textured dithering, so I did a little of it. Used this as a little reference.

Edited by Eggy - 28 February 2014 at 9:18am
IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 8:17am
@Otto
The frame is really neat! Though, isn't the character missing a right shoulder? And the sleeve around the left arm shouldn't be so round, think about gravitation.

I could really use some more colours since I can't really make the bottles look as lively as I would like to with what I have in disposition :( Going to work on background now.

Edited by SoraAkihiru - 28 February 2014 at 10:04am
IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 9:17am
Did some glass texture. This bottle looks so much better on this background color but I'll probably need to get rid of it in the end D:

I also made the shadow of the tree on the grass stick out more from Sora's suggestion

@CELS
I think I managed to do what you did in your edit a bit. It still looks a bit rough so I'll need to tweak it, but does it look better than the previous water?

@eggy
Sweet texture you got going there!

Edited by ADrawingMan - 28 February 2014 at 9:39am
IP IP Logged
Baianinho
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Baianinho Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 9:49am

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/84353.htm
IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 10:16am
@ADrawingMan
The grass looks great now :)! Also per the new addition of the deeper water, I would suggest you to make the place where the water touches the glass of a bottle lighter. You can see what I mean here - http://welovemagic.wikispaces.com/file/view/Pixel_Potions_set_2_by_LinaIvelle.png/159601959/Pixel_Potions_set_2_by_LinaIvelle.png It will help making the water seem like its actually contained inside the bottle.
IP IP Logged
Eggy
Commander
Commander

Quote Eggy Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 10:18am
Thank you. :) I'm really liking your piece too.
More progress:

There's still a lot to do. And once I'm done with this I'll remove the background and sketch beneath. Noting that since I see the transparency rule as optional, but everyone seems to be using a background, which confuses me a little.
EDIT:

I'm almost done, I just need to texture all of the shading. I think it's coming out pretty good.

Edited by Eggy - 28 February 2014 at 11:26am
IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 12:33pm

I fixed the sleeve and did some touches here and there. I think this is more or less finished.

IP IP Logged
SoraAkihiru
Seaman
Seaman

Quote SoraAkihiru Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 1:55pm
@Otto Way better now :)
@Eggy Woah, nice improvement! Good luck with the rest.

Alright, gave mine a vague background. Any suggestions what to improve before I call it finished?
IP IP Logged
Otto
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Otto Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 2:05pm
@SoraAkihiru
That background is the icing on the cake!
IP IP Logged
skittle
Commander
Commander

Quote skittle Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 3:49pm
@SoraAkihiru
Yikes, that is realllly awesome! My only crit (and perhaps this is more of a personal opinion) would be to change the lighting on the left arm.
Here, I made a small edit

Once again, this is probably just me. The piece still is bloody amazing! And I totally agree with Otto, that background adds so much.

Edited by ADrawingMan - 28 February 2014 at 3:50pm
IP IP Logged
CELS
Commander
Commander

Quote CELS Replybullet Posted: 28 February 2014 at 4:01pm
@ADrawingMan: It definitely reads more like a potion now, and less like a painted bottle.

Just google 'potion' and look at how people paint the edge of the liquid's surface, where it touches the glass. Or look at how this appears in real photos. There should be a clear, sharp edge, which is missing right now, I think.
IP IP Logged
PCecile
Seaman
Seaman

Quote PCecile Replybullet Posted: 01 March 2014 at 1:50am
Hello! As I'm on pixejoint since yesterday, I've decided to add my (very) little entry to the current challenge. (wip)

The flying potion! Hard to get, but allows you to fly when drank.
I'm thinking about making a background instead transparency but I don't know yet.

Edited by PCecile - 01 March 2014 at 1:55am
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version