Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 12/19/2011: Two Colour Game Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 12/19/2011: Two Colour Game
    Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Two Colour Game

Create a mockup of an original two colour game. You may use any two colours except pure black or white.

Canvas Size - Max 160 (width) x 120 (height).
Colours - Exactly 2.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Two Colour Game pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
Chibiwing
Commander
Commander

Quote Chibiwing Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 4:03am
Wip for ...Orun Juleus...
IP IP Logged
ingl0rius
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ingl0rius Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 4:49am
How about this for a rough concept?

The aim is to drop the presents into the correct houses, would use sort of a worms style aiming system

Thoughts?
IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 5:19am
WIP:

Sorry, this is off topic,
In the Challenge Prizes section of the original posts on challenge threads, there's the line:

"Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet"

How do mods actually contact you, or what have you.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 5:44am
I needed a break on my game so made this quick little thing.

BOOM!

I was going to go for a greenish colour, but my twin said it would look cool with the pink. Kinda reminds me of flash punk colours.
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 6:05am
Originally posted by ingl0rius

Thoughts?

Hey, this looks like a game that actually could work. I'd play with the colours, perhaps change the white to red. The colour red already plays well with santas red theme and rooftops tiles are generally brown-ish colours(where I live at least)so red would make sense. I'd make the blue darker to really make the red really stand out or if you keep the white that would stand out more to.

Also try thinking of this image as 3 dimensional, make use of dither and other techniques to convey shapes with shodows etc.
IP IP Logged
ingl0rius
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ingl0rius Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Jim16

Originally posted by ingl0rius

Thoughts?

Hey, this looks like a game that actually could work. I'd play with the colours, perhaps change the white to red. The colour red already plays well with santas red theme and rooftops tiles are generally brown-ish colours(where I live at least)so red would make sense. I'd make the blue darker to really make the red really stand out or if you keep the white that would stand out more to.

Also try thinking of this image as 3 dimensional, make use of dither and other techniques to convey shapes with shodows etc.

Thanks very much for the advice, I will give those ideas a try
IP IP Logged
randomboy2007
Seaman
Seaman

Quote randomboy2007 Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 6:28am

I'm a beginner at pixel art, so can you do title screens or does that not count as a mockup?

IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 8:57am
Originally posted by randomboy2007

<FONT style=": #eeeeee">I'm a beginner at pixel art, so can you do title screens or does that not count as a mockup?

title screen is the part of a game, not the game itself.

edt: my wip:

based on: http://www.gamesbrasil.com.br/admin/upload_imagens/minecraft2004.jpg

Edited by philippejugnet - 19 December 2011 at 9:51am
IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:22am
How does that answer his question?
Any part of the game we're gonna pixel will be part of a game, and not the game itself. The challenge isn't to create a game.
I don't have a definitive answer, but I assume it's fine, just have something that makes it obviously a title screen and not a logo, like START with a flashing triangle or something.
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:35am
@CPearson: Title screen is NOT part of the game. Let me give you a exemple ok? Lets say you go to a website's home and in the menu is a browser game... The menu and the homepage are not part of the game, they are just a guide to the game.
IP IP Logged
Mhyre
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Mhyre Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:46am
Here's my WIP :)

IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:49am
Hey guys, any suggestions?

IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:55am
philippejugnet, well thats debatable. What separates your example from a game is that the title screen is programmed with the game in mind, where as a website represents the path to the game. A game designer would also argue that the title screens holds as much importance as the gameplay as it can be used to portray certain aspects of the game. For one the name of the game, perhaps the main playable character(s), as well as options to enhance the performance of the game and many other features.

But in terms of the competition thats for administrators to decide upon.

oh and read the rules:
Create a mockup of an original two colour game.

I have a question too. Are we allowed to have multiple mockups in one challenge submission i.e. The title screen, two or three screens of gameplay, a game over screen, menu navigation screens, level select screen.

Edited by Jim16 - 19 December 2011 at 9:57am
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Jim16

philippejugnet, well thats debatable. What separates your example from a game is that the title screen is programmed with the game in mind, where as a website represents the path to the game. A game designer would also argue that the title screens holds as much importance as the gameplay as it can be used to portray certain aspects of the game. For one the name of the game, perhaps the main playable character(s), as well as options to enhance the performance of the game and many other features.

But in terms of the competition thats for administrators to decide upon.

I have a question too. Are we allowed to have multiple mockups in one challenge submission i.e. The title screen, two or three screens of gameplay, a game over screen, menu navigation screens, level select screen.

The competition is not about game title screen it is about the game itself. I think the title screen is a mixture of a hook to the game and a game menu.
IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:00am
That analogy is rather poor, but this isn't really something worth arguing about.

However, consider this, you have a SNES cartridge, you put it in your SNES, you get a few screens about copyright and stuff, which is present in all games, then you get a title screen which is exclusive to the game, it's interactive, with options such as: new game, continue game etc. etc.

For example, here's the title screen from super mario world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6b7IUiHh4

I can't see how you decide that this isn't part of a game.

>The competition is not about game title screen it is about the game itself. I think the title screen is a mixture of a hook to the game and a game menu.

There is no meaningful distinction between a game menu and a game level when it comes to being a game or not. If I load up basically any game, the first thing that happens, is that a title screen loads. a mockup just shows some part of a proposed game, a title screen is as valid as anything else, in my opinion at least. I think it's nonsensical to deny an entry on those grounds, but I suppose it's up to the admins, as previously stated.

Edited by CPearson - 19 December 2011 at 10:05am
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by CPearson

That analogy is rather poor, but this isn't really something worth arguing about.However, consider this, you have a SNEScartridge, you put it in your SNES, you get a few screens about copyright and stuff, which is present in all games, then you get a title screen which is exclusive to the game, it's interactive, with options such as: new game, continue game etc. etc. For example, here's the title screen from super mario world:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6b7IUiHh4I can't see how you decide that this isn't part of a game.

it is part of the concept of the game... but the competition is about the game not to create a title screen for the game... 2 completely different things ( on competition ).

For exemple: if they announce a competition to create title screen for a game, you would not do the game screen itself right? as here they are posting a competition for PJointers to create a game screen, you would not create a title screen.

Edited by philippejugnet - 19 December 2011 at 10:05am
IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:09am
A title screen is part of the game, you seem to have the notion that they are mutually exclusive, but I can see no reason why this should logically be so. The challenge does not say "Create a level screen", it doesn't say "don't create a title screen".

A title screen is part of a game, it depicts the theme of the game, and is as important as anything else, seeing as it;s the first thing people see, it's as simple as that.

(This is getting pedantic, but when it comes down to it, if you insist that the guy can't make his mockup, which I think would be totally valid, that's discouraging someone from trying to be creative, not a good thing to do in my opinion)

Edit: Can anyone fill me in about the thing I asked in my first post in this thread, seeing as my piece won the Collosal Cave Anniversary Challenge, and I'm not sure how the challenge theme suggestion is made (sorry again for offtopic).

Edited by CPearson - 19 December 2011 at 10:16am
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:16am

A title screen is part of the game, you seem to have the notion that they are mutually exclusive, but I can see no reason why this should logically be so. The challenge does not say "Create a level screen", it doesn't say "don't create a title screen". A title screen is part of a game, it depicts the theme of the game, and is as important as anything else, seeing as it;s the first thing people see, it's as simple as that.(This is getting pedantic, but when it comes down to it, if you insist that the guy can't make his mockup, which I think would be totally valid, that's discouraging someone from trying to be creative, not a good thing to do in my opinion)

is also does not say create a portrait of yourself... The title screen is part of the game but in this competiton tey are completely different...

Ok so let him loose his time doing something that is not going to be valid... I lost more time here then I used my time to do my pic... There is nothing to be decided by the admins. JUST READ THIS OK?

IF THE COMPETITION WAS ABOUT CREATING A TITLE SCREEN YOU WOULD NOT DESIGN A GAME LEVEL RIGHT? AS THE COMPETITION IS TO DESIGN A GAME YOU WILL NOT DESIGN A TITLE SCREEN, OR THE WEBSITE DESIGN, OR THE DOWNLOAD ICON ( THEY ARE ALL PART OF THE GAME ).
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:21am
CPearson, Have a word with Jeremy or any other admin and I'm sure they'll be more than eager to sort a future challenge for you.
IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:23am
I don't think you understand my arguments, and you're being rather uncivil with all the capslock and stuff.
A title screen is a valid subject for a mockup, now unless tons of people on this site disagree with me, I have absolutely no reason to think it isn't.
Consider these premises:
1)A mockup is a demonstration.
2)A game mockup is a demonstration of some part of a game.
3) A title screen is part of a game.
Conclusion: A title screen is a valid entry.
It's a simple syllogism, I see no fault with it.

A download button is not part of a game, nor is a website. When you load the software for the game, whatever is in there is a valid subject for a mock up.

Perhaps I'm an idiot, but your argument isn't convincing me at all.

Edit: Thanks Jim, just didn't know how to go about it, my gratitude.

Edited by CPearson - 19 December 2011 at 10:24am
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:36am
"A title screen is the initial screen of a computer, video, or arcade game after the credits and logos are displayed of the game developer and game publisher. Earlier title screens often included all the game options available (single player, multiplayer, configuration of controls, etc.) while modern games have opted for the title screen to serve as a splash page. The reason for this can be attributed to the use of the title screen as a loading screen, in which to cache all the graphical elements of the main menu. Older computer and video games had relatively simple menu screens, that often featured pre-rendered artwork. In arcade games, the title screen is shown as part of the attract mode loop, usually after a game demonstration is played. The title screen, as well as the high score list, urges potential players to insert coins. In video games, especially if the screen is not merged with the main menu, the screen urges the player to press start. Similarly, in computer games, the message "Hit any key" is often displayed. With the lack of an actual "Start" button, the Nintendo Wii uses a different prompt, usually pressing the "A" button and the "B" trigger simultaneously, as in Wii Sports or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Fan-made games often parody the style of basis of the creation.
The information listed on a title screen includes:
Game developer
Game publisher
Release date
Registered trademarks
Game logo
Additional pre-rendered artwork
Miscellaneous licensing information.
"

-Wikipedia

as the book cover is to attract you, the title screen is also. If I tell you to write a book, you will not do just the cover, and if I tell you to do a cover, you will not write a book. Right?

thats what I mean, this is not about if the title screen is part of the game or it not, it is about doing the game ( book ) not title screen ( cover ). And sorry for my eager it is because you are messing things up.
IP IP Logged
Mhyre
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Mhyre Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:40am
I have to agree with CPearson here. To me, a mockup is simply a representation of the game's screen, no matter what is displayed. Now it sure sounds better to represent ingame elements, but as long as there are enough elements FROM THE GAME on the screen, a titlescreen sounds valid to me.

I'll take the exemple of Zelda II. You have the titlescreen and the name of the game, but around it you still have a valid representation of ingame elements:

Admins, feel free to correct me and CPearson. All artists have different visions anyway, and I wouldn't feel ashamed to be wrong.
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:43am
"
The information listed on a title screen includes:
Game developer
Game publisher
Release date
Registered trademarks
Game logo
Additional pre-rendered artwork
Miscellaneous licensing information. "
-Wikipedia

I don't think that's what they wan't,do you?
IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:44am
I'm getting sick of this, every post has a logical fallacy, just forget it.
I say let the guy do it, if the admins say it's not valid (They almost certainly wont) Then so be it, I'm still willing to give him constructive criticism on whatever he posts in this thread.

(As a further clarification, the challenge is not analogous to writing a book, as we are not being asked to make a video game, merely a demonstration of some part therein. if this were a forum for book illustrations and there was a challenge to create a book mockup, that would be centred around a book cover, this is a pixel art forum, in a game, there's many avenues in which pixel art is used, a title screen is one of them, and is fitting as a subject for a mockup.)

Edit:
>I don't think that's what they wan't,do you

Considering that list includes the words "game logo" and "pre rendered art work", yes, I absolutely do think so.

Edited by CPearson - 19 December 2011 at 10:46am
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:45am
philippejugnet, We both get what your getting to. We've both chosen to disagree with you while listing to your opinion. Nobody is saying your wrong or that we are right.

My suggestion is to agree to disagree and allow administrators to make a sensible edit to the rules to justify as what could be a vague challenge description. No harm done and we all will know what is allowed and whats not shortly.
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 10:52am
I know you understood, but I think CPearson is using lol argments like :"As a further clarification, the challenge is not analogous to writing a book" Have you ever heard of figures of speech?

"The challenge does not say "Create a level screen", it doesn't say "don't create a title screen"." But sure it says create a game, and it does not say create a title screen.

A game is a game by itself, a title screen is not a title screen by itself, if you want to submit a entry for a title screen, make sure you do something like this: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/67119.htm?sec=date
IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:05am
Cpearsons arguments are logical to me and his figures of speech, grammar and vocabulary don't matter and are a lot better than yours. But thats beside the point, your being rude now.

The challenge rules do not dictate any of what you say. If there are people who want to show their creativity by showing their own interpretations of the rules, then who are you to say its wrong. That alone falls to administration, and if you continue to feed a fire I will report you.

Leave it be.

Edited by Jim16 - 19 December 2011 at 11:08am
IP IP Logged
KittenMaster
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote KittenMaster Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:18am
Hey guys I decided to make a sort a Space Invaders clone.

IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:21am
What are the oblong shapes in the bottom left and right?
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:30am
Finished!

IP IP Logged
Damian
Commander
Commander

Quote Damian Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:38am
Create a mockup of an original two colour game.
IP IP Logged
Kravvon Nar'roth
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Kravvon Nar'roth Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:52am
Ho hum. Still plenty left to do, but I've got a whole week to perfect it.
IP IP Logged
randomboy2007
Seaman
Seaman

Quote randomboy2007 Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 11:54am
WIP Paper Cowboy
Improvments?
IP IP Logged
Mhyre
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Mhyre Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:01pm
I have NO IDEA where I'm going with this. Perspective is screwed anyway =P

IP IP Logged
CPearson
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote CPearson Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:09pm
Anyone care to help me with a running animation for my guy?

Edited by CPearson - 19 December 2011 at 12:09pm
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:12pm

I think this will help
IP IP Logged
Mhyre
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Mhyre Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:12pm

The little guy reminds me of Bit.Trip.Runner

Edited by Mhyre - 19 December 2011 at 12:12pm
IP IP Logged
TGK
Seaman
Seaman

Quote TGK Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:22pm
I did a little something, I'll try to finish it soon, please tell me what I should improve.
IP IP Logged
randomboy2007
Seaman
Seaman

Quote randomboy2007 Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 12:26pm
Maybe give it a background, but it's your decision, it looks cool anyway!
IP IP Logged
randomboy2007
Seaman
Seaman

Quote randomboy2007 Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 1:32pm
WIP Paper Cowboy
Improvement? Is it better with the ammo, heart and enemy timer?(See earlier posts for the first image)
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 1:33pm
I was thinking on a animation, what do you think?

Edited by philippejugnet - 19 December 2011 at 1:54pm
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 1:35pm
Looks nice man, what about adding some dithering?
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:48pm
A challenge mockup usually does not include the title screen. Possible exception is when you're allowed to do more than one screen (Looking back, the only challenge which allowed a title screen made them compulsory)

philippejugnet did not invent Minecraft for this challenge.

IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 2:59pm
nooo I am not finished...

more frames added:

More frames!

Edited by philippejugnet - 19 December 2011 at 4:48pm
IP IP Logged
philippejugnet
Commander
Commander

Quote philippejugnet Replybullet Posted: 19 December 2011 at 5:37pm
Last pic

Maybe I will add some frames this week
IP IP Logged
randomboy2007
Seaman
Seaman

Quote randomboy2007 Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2011 at 2:27am
Update on Paper Cowboy
Improvements?
IP IP Logged
randomboy2007
Seaman
Seaman

Quote randomboy2007 Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2011 at 4:01am

Another Update on Paper Cowboy:

Any Improvements?
IP IP Logged
ingl0rius
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote ingl0rius Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2011 at 4:09am

How about this? I made a few tweaks

I might make the tiles on the roof bigger so I can shade them - what do you think?

Edited by ingl0rius - 20 December 2011 at 4:14am
IP IP Logged
Mrmo Tarius
Commander
Commander

Quote Mrmo Tarius Replybullet Posted: 20 December 2011 at 5:19am
I'm making a shootemup. A tile based one, similar to what I did with the squidfish crusade thing, only vertical and 2 color and scrolling and stuff. Inspired by Fleet, the last level of Tyrian :)

Here's an early preview:

Edited by Mrmo Tarius - 20 December 2011 at 5:25am
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version