Collaborations/Challenges
 Pixel Joint Forum : Pixel Art : Collaborations/Challenges
Message Icon Topic: CHALLENGE 5/31/2010: Out in the Cold Post Reply Post New Topic
administrator
Admiral
Admiral

Online Status: Offline
Quote administrator Replybullet Topic: CHALLENGE 5/31/2010: Out in the Cold
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:00am

CHALLENGE: Out in the Cold

Depending on where you live, it's the start of winter this week. So for this challenge you are asked to create an icy or snow-covered scene. You may include characters and/or creatures too if you so wish.

Optional Bonus Challenge: Can you do it without using any white?

Canvas Size - Exactly 160 (width) x 90 (height).
Colours - Max 25.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

CHALLENGE RULES

• Participants have until this upcoming Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) to submit their entry (strict). Don't forget to check the 'Submit to weekly challenge' checkbox.
  • Only new pixels allowed.
  • Open to all members.
  • Posting WIPs in this thread or in new threads in the WIP section is highly encouraged, but ONLY SUBMIT YOUR FINAL ART.

CHALLENGE JUDGING

• Every Sunday at midnight (12AM Pacific) the previous week's entries are judged.
  • Every week a new voting poll will be posted for previous week's entries.
  • Winner announced the following week.

CHALLENGE PRIZES/GOODIES

• Top three finishers will receive an award displayed in your PJ gallery profile for all to see and envy.
  • Top finisher gets to call the following week's challenge...sweet.
  • 'Participation' ribbons will be given for all who enter.
  • No matter what happens you get challenged :)

CHALLENGE VOTING

Vote now for your favorite pixelart in this week's challenge!

CHALLENGE AWARDS

The Out in the Cold pixel art challenge is complete and we have three new champions. This week's challenge awards go to the following pieces:

Thanks so much to all who took the time to vote and participate in the challenge!

IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:30am
With/without face?

(Massive Ref)
IP IP Logged
skamocore
Admiral
Admiral

Quote skamocore Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:02am
With face is good, but maybe his location within the image needs to be reconsidered. It's as if someone was taking some nice nature photography and then some random dude popped in front of the camera.

Perhaps an idea is to have someone else there with him. That might make it more clear that he's intended to be there.

Edited by skamocore - 31 May 2010 at 2:02am
IP IP Logged
Manjaman
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Manjaman Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 6:08am
Definitly without imo
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:55am
As is, the face doesn't make much sense and tells no story.
Something should be added if you keep it. I don't quite read 'snow'. Also perhaps something like buloght did with this BG can help the scene take some shape. The snowfalling kinda blur action going on....brrrrrrrrr

@ all, the no use of 'white' bonus in the challenge post is represented well in this buloght piece very well. Reads white but no whites used.

Edited by jalonso - 31 May 2010 at 7:58am
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:30am
Its going to be winter here now. But no snow. Can't I make a landscape of the Brazilian winter? :P
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:32am
Please nothing Brazilian, World Cup starts in a week and EVERYTHING will be Brazilian for a month. 
IP IP Logged
ellie-is
Commander
Commander

Quote ellie-is Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:43pm
Hahaha. Sadly, yes. I really don't like soccer, but for a few months I will have to pretend I do, or otherwise be burned alive.
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:48pm
very rough little idea

IP IP Logged
Adcrusher
Commander
Commander

Quote Adcrusher Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:19pm

very sloppy right now. I'm also going to have some tracks the leopard is sniffing and a monster kind of thing jumping off the ledge of the cave.
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2010 at 2:14pm
update, think it is done unless anyone has any suggestions

IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 01 June 2010 at 9:57pm
@Ivy00, try to take some time to work on the ice a bit more. It kinda looks wet and not frozen over. Sometimes with snow and ice is what you don't pixel that works. I think if the ice area was clean of pixelling and the tree was reflected on it it would be more icy looking. Add a tiny bit of texture to the ice blades and I think it would be more attractive.
I think your scene is character driven therefore the tree is commanding far too much attention. Perhaps the tree can be toned down (kinda like that buloght piece up there does).
One last thingy and this may just be my take and is totally subjective. On the first piece you uploaded without any details at all I see way more personality than in the detailed one. I think this is because the bunny is looking at the viewer for no apparent reason and not telling any story whatsoever.
Anyhoo, you've got a few days more. Sit back, step out of yourself and c+c your own piece.

EDIT: @ all. yes! all my comments this week will refer to buloght's piece

Edited by jalonso - 01 June 2010 at 9:59pm
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2010 at 3:22am
Thanks jalonso :)  great crit

I think you hit most of the points I was not sure of myself.  The ice I did want to look a bit snowy, but was afraid it looked more like waves.  I kept going back and forth from solid color to present stage.  Glad you hit that point.

Also so glad you hit the tree point, I will have to grey that down to drop it back for depth.

My bunny ha ha, yeah having some problems conveying him, I thought if he looked at the viewer he would be showing off a bit.  I will for sure play with him more.

Thanks a LOT for the great crit, I do have lots of time to play and adjust colors.  So back to the pixels for me :D
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2010 at 3:25am
Thanks for the advice guise :)

WIP snow/ice texture on lower right.
IP IP Logged
Antlia
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Antlia Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2010 at 8:03am

Hello, first time poster here. I have read and looked this site for some time, but haven't registered until now. The picture above is the current version of my competition artwork and I'd like to hear your opinions about it because I'm very new and untalented pixel artist. Done whit MS Paint default palette.

Edited by Antlia - 02 June 2010 at 8:03am
IP IP Logged
StepDragon
Commander
Commander

Quote StepDragon Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2010 at 12:49pm
Antlia, welcome to pixeljoint!

I just want to point out its a 'challenge', the reason i bring this up is, although you're going to be judged against others for a top prize, you are challenging yourself. To improve yourself and others through friendly competition!

as for your work, its not bad, but a little hard to read. could you explain it out in some detail. i'm not sure how to critique it if i don't know exactly what it should be.

Cheers!
IP IP Logged
Ambient
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ambient Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2010 at 4:14pm
Jeremy, I think that your ice should have some cracks in it, especially along the edges. Also I don't think the dithering of the ice should be limited to along the glacier, but should be spaced throughout the mountain.
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8329/mountian.jpg
Here is a photo from the Rockies (central US), at about 11,000 ft altitude (~2 miles). I took this in the summer time, but I hope it can help you. Sorry about it being a jpg and blurry, but the png was 11mb.

Edited by Ambient - 02 June 2010 at 4:16pm
IP IP Logged
Antlia
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Antlia Replybullet Posted: 02 June 2010 at 10:23pm
:D Yes, it's definitely a bit monotone and hard to understand. It tries to represent a commando whose buried himself in snow for disguise.
IP IP Logged
C-IV
Seaman
Seaman

Quote C-IV Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Antlia

Hello, first time poster here. I have read and looked this site for some time, but haven't registered until now. The picture above is the current version of my competition artwork and I'd like to hear your opinions about it because I'm very new and untalented pixel artist. Done whit MS Paint default palette.

Hey Antlia, and welcome! I was looking at your posted image and it's very well done so far. I'm not sure how you're looking at him being buried, but from what I can tell the head looks more like a guy buried standing up rather than laying flat. Perhaps moving the perspective away from the snowdrift in front of and to the right of his head and creating a "hill" of sorts to represent his shoulders and back/backpack to the left would create the flow of a person buried in the snow a little better.

For details, and to show how long hes been out there you might add something simple like the footprints of a small animal such a rabbit going by. This will also give the image some scale.

Hope the critique helps a bit and welcome again!
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 7:14am

hmmm, I didn't see an actual person but a wierd snow formation that looks like a person...
...anyhoo, consider Buloght's piece as a ref
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 8:02am
welcome Antila :)  I think it looks like some kind of snow formation also, maybe build on that and let your imagination go

I like the soft colors on yours Jeremy

Another update on mine

well crud hold on , image troubles here, image host did some funky thing...and gah

ok one more time

Edited by Ivy00 - 03 June 2010 at 8:12am
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 9:00am
Ivy00, the addition of the fishy has created a story and is therefore far better for that alone. I think the tree is still demanding far too much attention. Perhaps you can play with the tree and BG so that its there but de-emphasized. Some curvature on the horizon will only add interest too.
As far as storyline, the bunny now makes more sense since he has a 'wtf' kinda look. The fish is 'out of water' therefore a more freaking out facial expression and action lines would further add story and interest.
This is just for your consideration and not demands, k.
Something like this:

ps: Watch out for your colors, you have several very similar shades and some totally unrequired, like the single dark red on the bunny's leg. Your BG colors have several pixels in one shade but hard to see. Use the image specs link in my siggy to double check your colors if your painting program can't.

pss: see buloght ref
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 9:44am
ha ha Jalonso that tree a thorn in my side.  I think  I will blow it up.  Once I finish this I may have to credit you for it ha ha.   I will work on the fish expression and background and adjust colors.

Thank you so much :)
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 10:47am
c+c (mine and other's) only requires that you learn from it. An improved piece that takes any c+c into considertaion is credit enough, at least for me.
IP IP Logged
dpixel
Commander
Commander

Quote dpixel Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 1:52pm
Jalonso has great style and knowledge.  I've always take notice of his edits.
hehe (ಠ_ಠ ) o_- :p
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 03 June 2010 at 11:53pm
Jalonso also is very talented pixel artist and willing to share the knowledge.  Something I value highly in an artistic community.

I have no problem when I digital paint or traditional paint with depth and haze.  I like this challenge because it is something that calls for depth and creating depth with pixels is a big challenge for me.  Mostly because I can't use any color I want to create it as with digital painting.  It makes me do as much as I can with very little, if that makes sense.  The end result is that I learn more , learning is good :D

I have to figure out now what kind of expression to put on my fishy and what to use in the background to create that depth.  *goes off to play
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:52am
another update, still have to work on a few things, but I think it is finally getting there.

IP IP Logged
Cherna
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Cherna Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2010 at 12:47pm
Hi, it's first time I take part in challenge.
Could you give some advice or critic for this piece?

and bg just in case

IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:33pm
Hi Cherna :)

I like the version with the owl, it gives it something to focus on.  If you do use the version with the owl, then the colors behind him are to intense.  They need to be less saturated to drop the background back, to give it that sense of distance.  See image that Jalonso posted earlier (mammoths) and also the crits he gave on my piece for good examples.
IP IP Logged
jalonso
Admiral
Admiral

Quote jalonso Replybullet Posted: 04 June 2010 at 9:40pm
Ivy00, you did a nice job. Take what you learn to the next piece.

Cherna, The owl just doesn't stand out enough. Darken the owl or soften the background. The BG doesn't need that much outlining of the buildings and the smoke is far to bright against the sky (and coming out of the owl's head).

This is my own work and surely there are better refs out there that show the BG lightened up and the foreground darker and more emphasized.
IP IP Logged
Pragz
Commander
Commander

Quote Pragz Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2010 at 1:31am
Here's a quick edit for you, Cherna:

Though my color changes wound up making the owl look mangy. >.<
Hello - I'm new here. :)
IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2010 at 2:10am
@Cherna: That wire has some serious banding! Owl looks nice, some AA wouldn't go amiss though ;)
IP IP Logged
Cherna
Seaman
Seaman

Quote Cherna Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2010 at 5:41am
Thank you, guys!

Background was softened, fixed some parts, and sky was remade.
Is it ok now?)
IP IP Logged
Ivy00
Midshipman
Midshipman

Quote Ivy00 Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2010 at 3:54pm
looking much better Cherna :)  You may even want to take some of the darkest colors in your palette and emphasize where some shadows would hit on the owl to give him a bit more contrast and really bring him into the foreground.  Something to play around with and see if it works.

Jalonso, thanks , though now that I look at the beautiful entries of the landscape scenes I almost wish I had went all serious on this one  ha ha.

IP IP Logged
jeremy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Quote jeremy Replybullet Posted: 05 June 2010 at 10:02pm
Finished :D

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version