Reddit's /r/PixelArt has surpassed 100,000 subscribers!

Reddit allows users to create their own communities, and the main subreddit for pixel art has reached this huge milestone. Who even knew that many people were into pixel art?

skeddles aka Sam Keddy have also taken over as the head moderator of the subreddit. I hope to see some positive changes in the sub going forward, and have lots of ideas.

In celebration (in addition to reddit soon to be releasing a big update), we have several contests going on.

Read the full news post on reddit

Posted by skeddles @ 3/13/2018 10:50  |    20

lukenlow (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/28/2018 05:20

Thank you, as always, please with your works! You have a great talent 192.168.1.1

eishiya (Level 5 Detective) @ 3/16/2018 13:24

My knee-jerk reaction to this post and the Carter challenge earlier was "how is this relevant to PJ?" but after reading the comment thread here, I think it's great that PJ isn't being isolationist and is celebrating the wider pixel art community. More communities should collaborate instead of competing.

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 3/15/2018 15:42

mmm pizza

CritiqueMyWork (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 3/15/2018 12:06

Sorry, it was a bad thread to express my impressions.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/15/2018 10:16

Think for a moment about the context. This is a news post specifically about r/PixelArt and the membership milestone it has recently reached. This community is moderated by one of our own, and the tone of the announcment is celebratory. Now enters a member who says "their art sux", jumps off topic to list suggestions for PixelJoint updates, then brags about how PJ is the best. For what purpose?

CritiqueMyWork (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 3/15/2018 09:55

I don't agree with you at all, and it only takes a quick glance to the weekly top of websites that are not pixeljoint to understand my position.

I do think identifying which places feature the best pixel art is helpful both for the person that wants to enjoy them and learn from them. If I had an enemy and i wanted to mislead him I'd tell any place is perfectly valid to enjoy pixel art.

Also I think it affects how others perceive pixel art. "Pixelshit" is sadly a term coined after the poor quality of the art featured in many videogames.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/15/2018 09:42

There's really no need to make this a PJ vs. r/pixelart thing, (or suggest updates to PJ, or to focus on PJ at all really), especially since there are plenty of artists who are active in both communities. "That place has horrible pixel art" "Pixeljoint is the pinnacle"- these are not helpful statements.

r/pixelart is fine, posts unrelated to pixelart are downvoted pretty quickly and the top posts are predominantly works that would fit in PJ's gallery. There are tons of noobs there, but that's inevitable since it's not a moderated gallery. Fanart etc. can get more attention than more proficient pixel art, but that's the nature of Reddit's democratic system.

If you want to think of the online pixel art community as a body and PJ as the head (or the face, we all know Pixelation is the brain), that's fine, but think about these other satellite communities as appendages of that same body (like arms and legs, tsk), not something to disparage or that is in opposition to us.

CritiqueMyWork (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 3/15/2018 04:11

Pixeljoint is literally the pinnacle of pixelart communities. I'm happy it lends itself to promote the best of what has been submitted instead of hidding it.

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 3/14/2018 18:03

I don't like reddit.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/14/2018 17:09

Obviously not everyone, have you read all the excited comments below? This news item gets more appraise than  most on our front page!

BlueSheep123 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/14/2018 16:39

Is everyone here all uptight and think other pixel art sites are bad?

JerryPie (Level 11 Godfather) @ 3/14/2018 14:46

Hey sked this is awesome! I'll post some of my stuff over there, (I'm not a pro artist but maybe it can encourage ppl to check out PJ if i include links)  i didnt ever think to check Reddit for pixelart

CritiqueMyWork (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 3/14/2018 11:48

That's probably the best idea. Crossposting art regularly.

onilink_ (Level 8 Marshal) @ 3/14/2018 07:56

But this subreddit doesn't understand what is pixel art so...

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 3/14/2018 04:27

@foxturtle You are free to make suggestions for changes.

@critiquemywork Yeah there's lots of newbie artists, but i think its good that lots of people are only just discovering it. But I would l like more experienced artists to post, or people to oost more art that they find

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 3/14/2018 04:10

What i thought it died 😱

CritiqueMyWork (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 3/14/2018 01:53

God, that place has horrible pixel art. But yet again, anything that is not pixeljoint is more likely to have horrible pixel art. This place need to be more usable, other than that I like how it priorize actual good pixel art.

I think both the forum and submission queue should distinguish between newcomers that need good advice and veterans who know their craft. You see a lot of art standing on the queue for people who would probably need a hand more than being featured on the frontpage.

I hope this is taking into consideration for the next PJ version.

FoxTurtle (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 3/13/2018 18:28

Awesome! While I do not agree with some of the subreddit's trends and policies, it is good that pixel art is getting some noteriety.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 3/13/2018 17:41

Yeah, definitely reassuring

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/13/2018 16:33

Cool, pixel art is alive ;).

Walrus Emoticons icon/pixelartWerewolf Boss icon/pixelartWolf icon/pixelartTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtle icon/pixelart