Pixeljoint history

In this article/showcase PJ member Retronator writes a bit about the pixeljoint's past.
Retronator mentions a part 2 is coming in the future too!

Posted by Hapiel @ 7/15/2015 18:07  |    14

Retronator (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 7/19/2015 06:03

Well, relative to the things I sometimes see in the public queue it's pretty decent. :)

king_bobston (Level 10 Capo) @ 7/18/2015 08:52

I like it, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I'm part of this amazing community

tuaarita (Level 4 Mercenary) @ 7/17/2015 13:28

@jalonso Pft, noob.

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 7/17/2015 11:13

I can reveal some insider scandals about jal's racist quips aimed at Canadians if it'll help increase the readership.

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 7/17/2015 08:07

"only decent entries now see the eyes of most visitors" ...

Retronator (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 7/17/2015 02:12

And Part 2 is now live!

Hope it does this place justice.

Retronator (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 7/16/2015 21:18

Sweet! I'd love to hear any stories you could share about those times.

I knew only about Gas13 when I started with pixel art in 2005. I was a game reviewer for a computer magazine, and I wrote an article about pixel art (and contributed a cover to the magazine). I remember putting Gas's work in the article as I appreciated his ZX Spectrum pieces. I also knew of Pixelfreak and had a huge crush on eBoy. After that I studied computer science so I didn't do any art until I graduated in 2011. So my history of pixel art has a gapping hole in those years.

From my research it seemed there were a few communities back then, but it seems only PixelJoint and Pixelation remain until today. And whoever stayed around on deviantART.

We had a DA-like community in my home country (Slovenia), but it shared that 2nd outcome, it died when servers/domains went defunct. A facebook group tried to replace it, but it's nothing like it. Although another, a local game dev community, now lives stronger than ever as a FB group. I guess a lot of community has also just moved to things like Twitter (Pixel_Dailies) and Tumblr (that's where I come from).

Anyway, I'm rambling when I should be finishing part 2. I opened the page to do some research and then got lost in the comments. :]

eigenbom (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/16/2015 19:51

Nice to see some of the great images in this big article format :D

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/16/2015 17:57

There are many members here from the very beginning of the site.
The 2 eldest members who are active since day one are Gas13 and Blueberry Pie.
I came in activey about a year into the site.

Retronator (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 7/16/2015 16:48

8 Bit Dreams: Yes, site's current offering will be focus of part 2. Hopefully tonight.

Eishiya: I wish there was more info about the site's beginnings too. I wasn't there for the early days and I don't have nearly enough resources to do interviews and back and forth, talking to early members. I mainly based everything on a couple hours of research (=heavy use of archive.org).

But in general, yeah, Retronator Magazine is heavily geared towards images with just a sprinkle of flavor text.

However, if anyone can write more about the history/beginnings, you can post it as a response to the article and it will appear at the bottom as an addendum. That'd be pretty cool to be honest, to get some memoirs from memebers active in 2000s.

eishiya (Level 6 SWAT) @ 7/16/2015 16:32

This. I don't think it will get into the site's history more though. The article says part 2 will be about more recent artwork, and the two articles are intended as showcases of artwork rather than articles about PJ itself.

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 7/16/2015 14:16

I quite enjoyed looking through this.

Well done, can't wait for part 2.

AKA_Mathieu (Level 2 Peon) @ 7/16/2015 12:05

It started as a nice tale... I loved it.

Please tell me more about that "golden era" :D

8 Bit Dreams (Level 10 President) @ 7/16/2015 10:21

I wish there was more written about the site itself... Hopefully the next installments get into the history.

Crying Deer icon/pixelartnightchief ninja icon/pixelartgurlfren icon/pixelartFire Flower icon/pixelart