Budgeting the Art costs of an RPG Parts 1 & 2 of 3


icon

Shadows of Adam art director Doppleganger, recently made some blog posts detailing his experience on the project.

The game features beautiful pixel art, and represents some of the talent in this community and our sister community Pixelation. If you are interested in what goes into the art production process of a larger project, or how to properly grow a project's look organically please check out these articles. 

Budgeting the Art Costs of an RPG Part 1
Budgeting the Art Costs of an RPG Part 2

The third and final entry in this series will be posted around a month from now.



Posted by Doppleganger @ 5/19/2015 18:25  |    5

Discussion

If you would like to comment you will need to be logged in. Register now. It only takes a moment and it's free.


user
fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/29/2015 06:15

Interesting stuff.


user
Doppleganger (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/25/2015 13:53

Ah yeah, looks like the news title is no longer misleading.

B.O.B has got the right idea on the main theme for the article series. I struggled with what to call it, and I think the series has deviated a little bit from my original plan where I intended to deal more with the financial side of things.
Also, this game started without a budget, so finances weren't really a point of discussion early on.

In the final article I will go more into the actual monetary costs of the project, and how we plan to keep it manageable in regards to standards set by the art we've received and the outstanding work that is best handled through our contracted artists based on time restraints and those standards.

I'd love to present number specific information, but I think it might be a bit too heavy for the spirit of the articles. Additionally, I don't want discuss or reveal our specific artists, their rates, or work ethics, as I don't think that is very professional. 

  edit:
@hapiel in regards to the spread of costs, around 80% of our budget has been dedicated to art costs, and the remaining 20% spread across software and platform licenses and advertising. Our engineers, writer, and musician are all inhouse and have the skills to assist in other areas of development. 


user
Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/25/2015 09:23

aaahh :), that is another way how you can read the (full) title :)


user
The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/25/2015 09:20

I think that's because the actual article on the site it links to is called, " Budgeting the Art Costs of an RPG Part1/2", whereas the poster here at Pixeljoint.com left out the word 'art' from the headline. ie, they didn't mean it as cost in money, but a figurative cost in art style from begininning and end to the game project.


user
Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/25/2015 08:02

Nice article about the progress, but it says little about the actual budgets, or the spreading of the costs!


This Week's Pixel Art

Syaoran Li icon/pixelartCubism Gal icon/pixelartSelf Portrait icon/pixelartFantasy Creature icon/pixelart
Play party games with QuizBash app
Play party games with QuizBash app

Recent News

Donate

Want to give some dough back to all those amazing pixel artists? Donations provide prize money for contests, help cover hosting costs and support new initiatives.