16 Color Winner - 'DBsFUN16'

Announcing the winners of the 16 color palette contest.
First Place -  DawnBringer
Second Place - Crimso
Third Place - Night
Honorable Mention - atpalicis - Super17 - FlyGuy - [thUg] - Drazile - pavanz - Naji & Froste

DawnBringer

Crimso

Night

Congratulations to all who contributed a palette. Excellent and deserving good palettes by all. Anyone using a palette for their work remember its nice to credit the creator.

Winners were chosen by your Mod staff and invited PJers Mandrill, neota and r1k by ballot, most palettes were tested. The most votes moved to Round 2 for points based on all judges 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices.

Thanks to everyone for submitting such great palettes (65), we were honestly very surprised at the overall quality of the palettes and as such it was incredibly difficult to select a winner.

Honorable mentions and palettes in no particular order are:
atpalicis (Entry #1)

Super17 (Entry #1)

FlyGuy (Entry #2)

[thUg] (Entry #3)

Drazile (Entry #3)

pavanz

Naji (Entry #2)

Froste

This comp was to pick the palette for the next PJ forum iso collaboration, which will be posted in a few days.

Posted by jalonso @ 5/17/2015 04:37  |    38

Froste (Level 1 Private) @ 5/29/2015 15:00

Nice, wasn't even expecting a mention.

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/23/2015 12:35

Hmm, true ¯\_()_/¯

Finlal (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 5/23/2015 09:49

But the contest was started to make a palette for collab.
So choosing palette by overall quality may harm the collab itself, which would make no sence.

keeling00 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/22/2015 04:51

This may sound like a broken record, but I hope the new collab has equilateral triangular tiling, would be cool to see how this would work.

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/22/2015 04:47

I guess, I just feel that the winner of a palette contest should be the best palette overall, not just the palette that suits the theme the best.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/22/2015 04:36

The point for those who enter is to concentrate on balance, harmony and color choices that work well together.
Not knowing the theme is the challenge and winning palettes are not any better than those that did not. Some entries are great and hopefully used by others.

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/22/2015 04:22

Well, that makes it kinda hard to make an entry, doesn't it? If we don't know what you're looking for, how would we know what to put in our entry?

Asmodeusss (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/22/2015 01:18

But OBVIOUSLY DB would win. Cmon, that's his thing. really great, guys.

ParkerBabyDiaperCompany (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 5/21/2015 16:40

Not insinuating anything, but are the palettes separate from their usernames during the judging? I feel like that is the normal protocol.

SpeedyCube (Level 1 Depressed) @ 5/21/2015 16:26

Wow am I ignorant xD

I need some einstein to hurry up and invent a way to show sarcasm over the internet

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/21/2015 15:23

Palettes were chosen geared to the theme of the next iso collab mostly.
If it were just general good palettes this would have been impossible, tho having a well balanced and attractive entry always helps.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/21/2015 11:46

My joke

^

Your head :)

SpeedyCube (Level 1 Depressed) @ 5/21/2015 11:42

From what I've heard judging was based on how well the palette would work with the next collab, on top of quality and originality.

SpeedyCube (Level 1 Depressed) @ 5/21/2015 11:19

That would be totally unfair, imagine just you being banned just because you were good at making colors. It's not like DB has some unfair advantage, he practiced and became a master, just as everyone else can.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/21/2015 07:40

Yeah, this is the best part of these compos: Trough the compos we are challenged to level up!

Motrox (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 5/20/2015 15:22

I think submissions where the judges don't know the names would be better than just banning a particular user for winning.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 5/20/2015 12:23

Was the comp based upon the next collab or just in general?

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/20/2015 05:01

I propose banning DB from further contests in the interest of fair play and even chances.

Alternatively, everybody else could work thrice as hard and beat him square. An idea.

Finlal (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 5/20/2015 04:46

I think the overall quality increase is DB's work again. His toolbox is really someting.

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/20/2015 02:10

Definitely the overall quality increased a lot.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 5/20/2015 00:59

Thanx guys and congrats to all winners (esp. [thUg] who now has three thumbs!!). I'm quite happy with this palette and very curious to see what ppl can do with it.

It's my perception that the quality of palettes has increased with each of these compos, but there's still a refreshing amount of creativity among the entries.

Finlal (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 5/19/2015 16:44

Only saw this post (chatterbox draws too much attention to itself). Congrats everybody, can't wait for the collab to begin.

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 5/19/2015 14:24

Thanks for honorable mention and congrats to the winners and others who got mentioned!

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/19/2015 14:11

Congratulations everyone :D

pavanz (Level 4 Murderer) @ 5/19/2015 12:27

Congrats everyone :)

andrae (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/19/2015 12:16

Can't wait to see DB's palette in the collab. Congrats everyone.

atprises (Level 6 Commander) @ 5/19/2015 12:01

omg! thank you so much! this is such a surprise!

and congrats to all winners! : )

Night (Level 6 SWAT) @ 5/19/2015 10:25

Congratulations DawnBringer and Crimso, and everyone in the honourable mentions section! Excellent palettes for sure. :)

taterman88 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/19/2015 10:24

Wow I thought both of Jinn's entries were brilliant and he didn't even get an honorable mention.  The winners are still well deserved.

Mandrill (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/19/2015 10:07

Congratulations to DB and everybody else!

It's like jal said, the quality of the submissions was extremely high. It took a lot of time and testing to determine the winners.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/19/2015 10:03

That is unfair to us all :(
All palettes were judged on their own and against each other very fairly. Most went thru some sort of manual tryout and DB winning has nothing to do with it being DB...he's good at palettes.
The difference between 1,2,3 was marginal and for all practical purposes all honorouble mentions are tied.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/19/2015 09:22

Congrats, DB!

I should give it a spin next time, even though I'm pretty terrible at this palette thing :P

Eggy (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/19/2015 08:27

Finally the winners have arrived :3 Yeah, I wasn't very confident in my palette anyways and I even forgot about it. Maybe next time I'll do much better, once I understand color theory some more and practice devising palettes.

Daimoth (Level 1 Depressed) @ 5/19/2015 07:20

Either Dawnbringer is some sort of genius colorist or people voted for DB because they already knew he has a strong grasp on color. I don't have the deepest understanding of color theory myself, so I couldn't tell you which is the case.

Bitslap (Level 6 Manager) @ 5/19/2015 06:45

Great!

I do promote DB16 in my talks about pixel art for game jams. I will try the new FUN16 and possibly include that one!

Good job everyone and congrats to the winners. Night looks tasty :D

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/19/2015 05:33

Btw, the top 3 was extremely close call.

feiss (Level 5 Detective) @ 5/19/2015 05:21
 Congrats DawnBringer! amazing palette that one, I'd love to use it in the iso

Congrats to everyone too!  terrific palettes :)

Drink this! icon/pixelartMarching dwarf icon/pixelartPirate Ship icon/pixelartRichard Pryor icon/pixelart