Pixel Art Challenge: A r c h i p e l a g o

Create an image showing an archipelago.

To make this challenge a little more interesting, you can also create a metaphorical archipelago - a space filled with a cluster of items. For example, a buffet table could count.

Canvas Size - Max 256 x 256.
Colours - Max 16.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by jeremy @ 5/11/2015 01:03  |    19

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/14/2015 15:31

I've personally found the restricted colour things in the last few challenges interesting and fun to wrestle with. So I guess from that perspective they're doing a pretty good job. But hey ho, I can see why other people don't agree. That said I'm not opposed to more unrestricted palettes in the coming challenges. And I agree that in most surcumstances the piece should dictate the palette and not the other way around.

" over 100 colors."

How dare you. Next time I see a rainbow disapear from the sky I'm going to assume you took it.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/14/2015 10:58

I agree that "pixel art" as a digital -medium- has its roots in "a dead era of gaming", but I don't think it's restricted to just that, it has certainly evolved since then. "Pixel art" as a -method- of creating art goes beyond the digital medium and has earlier analogs in cross-stitching, 19th century dyed wood inlays, beadwork, etc. Admittedly, these artforms tend to have a limited amount of colors, but this is again due to the practical limitations of the media.

I agree that there is value in palette control, but less value in palette restriction. There is benefit in controling color usage in artwork, for both large and small palettes, but imposing painfully low color counts seems to me unnecessary and limiting. There's no need to use redundant colors, but one should use as many colors as they see fit to accomplish their goals.

"And also, if you use a large palette i'll come round your house and beat you with a big stick"

I have several works in my gallery that use over 100 colors. COME AT ME BRO

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/14/2015 10:27

I see where you're coming from, but I never actually said what the sprit of the medium was. Yes, the colour restrictions do harken back to a dead era of gaming, but so does pixelart itself. And there's more value in colour restrictions than simple nostalgia, it forces you to think more about it's usage, which at the very least is challenging, which it's supposed to be.

clefairykid (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/13/2015 22:11

Yes I know, but you never actually referred directly to the entry with a yes or a no, so I couldn't actually tell whether you were referring to me or not. Thank you for being clearer.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 5/13/2015 20:34

I posted an explanation in the forum thread, but I don't think your entry fits the challenge. The buffet table example is talking about plates as islands; it's important for [metaphorical] islands to have empty space around them because otherwise they aren't islands. You could add some lilypads in an anrchipelago-type way on the water in your first piece to make it work maybe?

here's another example of a metaphorical archipelago

clefairykid (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/13/2015 18:40

Really well worded cure! Sorry, sort of random for me to butt in here but I had to acknowledge how much I agree with what you said.

Also, is there a way to get a definitive "yes" or "no" on whether my first entry idea counts? In my opinion, it is a literal depiction of a "cluster of objects in a space" (and possibly even a reference to showing a piece of an archipelago environment itself due to the tropical look of it) but I get the feeling most people don't feel it's in the "spirit" of the challenge. I'd just like to know where it stands, so I know whether to keep going with it or channel all my time into a second, more literal representation of an actual archipelago.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/13/2015 17:50

Yes, but color restrictions existed out of necessity, due to hardward limitations. The spirit of the medium (generally speaking) was still to push that limit rather impose unnecessary restrictions.

My own assumption for the focus on low color counts in PJ challenges is that PixelJoint is a community inspired by that era of gaming, so we tend to uphold that aesthetic as the gold standard. That's fine if your goal is primarily to invoke nostalgia, but if we're going to treat pixel art as a medium unto itself (and not just a shadow of the past) then we should worry less about adhering to arbitrary restrictions that only exist to emulate old hardware.

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/13/2015 15:25

I'm not saying that it's what pixel art is about, or that it's even necessary. But colour restrictions existed everywhere in early video games and are part of what defined the style. I assumed that's why challenges even have them in the first place.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/13/2015 09:06

I disagree that color restriction is the spirit of the medium. Palettes should be controlled, but arbitrary restirictions are needless limitations. Use the colors you need to reach your goal.

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/12/2015 04:29

I can see what you mean, but then again half the point of the weekly challenges, as far as I'm aware, is to overcome come some kind of uncomfortable restriction.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/12/2015 04:16

Ultimately, all I'm asking for is a little variety. Looking at the front page, the last 3 challenges are all 22 colors or less.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/12/2015 04:15

Check my gallery, you'll se what can be done with 4 colors!

I'm simply tired of so many challenges having such strict color limits. Doing sprites in 16 colors is fine, but landscapes and scenes suffer heavily from low color counts. Personally, I find hardly any pleasure in working on large canvases with so few shades or the outcome satisfactory.

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/12/2015 04:09

The colour restriction is half the fun, plus it's in the spirit of the medium. You'd be surprised what can be done with 8 colours let alone 16.

Crimso (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/12/2015 01:57

But that's spaced, not scattered...

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/12/2015 01:09

Why so few colors? Every time I consider a challenge, I run into the wall of the sub-32 colors limit.

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/12/2015 00:18

Make a scattered group of something.

Crimso (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/11/2015 22:42

I don't get it.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 5/11/2015 18:23

Clever title.

Beer icon/pixelartPC PIXEL icon/pixelarthd retro gaming icon/pixelartmistake maker puffy charms icon/pixelart