Super Mario 64 Fan Remake (NPA)

Super Mario 64 fans are remaking the game in HD for PC!

Super Mario 64 Fan Remake is an open project that anyone can contribute to. It was started by Aryoksini Sixtyfour when he started working on a Mario model last year. Eventually others joined in and it became a full-on remake.

This is awesome news for the gaming and art communities. Super Mario 64 was considered by many to be one of the greatest games of all time, as a pioneer into the world of 3D art.

The game doesn't use pixel art, but it's very pretty. If you want to support development or even contribute to the project, don't hesitate to check out the development board and Facebook wall.

Posted by SpeedyCube @ 3/15/2015 18:24  |    17

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 3/30/2015 19:11

Do you get my point though?

SpeedyCube (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/30/2015 17:57

Zizka, "Feel free to post anything related to pixel art, video games, comic books, entertainment, technology or anything else that might be of interest."

News doesn't have to be pixel art.

Friend (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 3/23/2015 14:28

well what are some games/characters do you like?

kuso (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/23/2015 14:10

I don't think it's the first time you guys got NPA related news.

It's ok. I know. I was talking about everyone bashing SM64.

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 3/23/2015 13:57

Yeah, I saw. I don't see the connexion to pixel joint is all seeing the game or the remake is not pixel art. Must be that damn jalonso again *shakes fist in the air*.

I don't hate you or anything, c'mon now, it's just some news.

kuso (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/23/2015 13:36

A lot of hate and ignorance in here, I see!

@zizka It's written NPA (Non-pixelart) in the title.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/23/2015 10:01

I had Banjo Kazooie but it didn't do much for me at all.  Found it quite a tedious game and the characters very unlikable.

Friend (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 3/22/2015 18:55

as a video game, it does posess very impressively refined mechanics.  A noob can have fun with it, but pros can squeeze a lot out of the freedom of the mechanics.  The kind of freedom that is not seen often today in games.

From an artistic standpoint it also has its merits.  To a subjective mind that overlooks the flaws and is able to indulge in the pseudo world, it has many many enrapturing details.  The hub room with the sun on the floor.  the stars on the door.  the muffled laugh as you try to ascend an endless red staircase.  A hidden wall inside an aquarium room.  Swimming inside a giant bottle.  Trekking through the castles bleak walls to chase a bunny.  jumping through the paintings.  Teleporting by standing inside flowers....It goes on; it is all very imaginative and magical.

Though I admit that it does have many flaws artistically.  My beef with it is it often looks too much like some unfinished obstacle course with all of the very obvious square platforms floating in air and such.  The obstacle coarse isn't always dressed up enough.

I think Banjo Kazooie would be an incredible game to get this treatment.  It has this same kind of magic and imagination that reminds me of hand drawn disney...This effect is much better on an old crt.  I played it the other day on my crt, and was blown away how it just didn't look like games today, and I don't mean low polygon count.  It just had a magic aura to it like classic disney films when played on the intended screen.  But BK also is prettty technically excellent.  The mansion level is spine-tinglingly immersive.  The levels are not only perfectly designed with wonderful verticality, but practicality suck you right into them with atmosphere

taterman88 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 3/22/2015 08:54

I personally think Smash Bros. or one of the Zelda's or even an SNES game would be much more fun to remake.

SpeedyCube (Level 1 Depressed) @ 3/22/2015 05:36
I guess we all have opinions, the graphics were bad but this was the first game of its kind for many people. The gameplay was great and the music was pretty good on some stages.

I don't think there ever will be an official remake, they already had one for DS. (even if it's almost 10 years old now)

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/22/2015 04:03

Also wondering how long before Nintendo close it down and announce their own Super Mario 64 HD remake for Wii U or something.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 3/22/2015 04:02

Not a fan of the game myself.  As soon as that dumb Mario head popped up when I turned the N64 on and he speaks in that godawful irritating voice I knew my love of all things Nintendo was coming to an end.  However I at least credit the game for doing third person control well (unlike things like Tomb Raider where you had tediously rotate around before you could start walking in the right direction).  Oh and that piece of musc from the water level thingy is real nice too.   For me the best Mario game is still a tie between Mario 3, Mario World and Yoshi's Island (if truly count that last one as Mario World 2)

4red (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 3/22/2015 03:34

I agree that Mario 64 is nothing special. Maybe would impress kids when it first came out.

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 3/21/2015 11:58

How is this related to pixel art? Is it because the first game was in pixel?

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 3/20/2015 16:07

Sure, the graphics weren't that great, but the gameplay was solid.

After all, a HD remake is meant to fix poor graphics, isn't it?

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 3/20/2015 15:01

Super mario 64 was for many people the first 3d game, especially with a large explorable area... I guess the memory of this first experience creates this strong nostalgia...

CELS (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 3/20/2015 14:36

I really don't understand why people are so nostalgic about Super Mario 64. Super Mario World on SNES was full of beautiful pixel art, but Super Mario 64 was entirely devoid of life. It was like Super Mario World got drunk and had a one night stand with Quake 1.

A sad, sad day for the Super Mario bros franchise. Sorry if I've offended anyone. This just isn't my cup of tea.

Self Portait icon/pixelartCastle by the river icon/pixelartUlisees icon/pixelartExplode and Refill icon/pixelart