Americana Dawn on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight

Americana Dawn, a game that I've (Jinn) been helping with just launched a kickstarter campaign today and entered Steam Greenlight recently.

It's a role playing game which explores over two centuries of early American history using a new tradition of folklore and tall tales inspired by Genso Suikoden and Mark Twain. Throughout its story, we follow Foster, the spirit of the sea, a gentle and innocent being who arrives in America with no apparent heritage or home. Lost to the wilderness of Shenandoah Valley, he lives in complete isolation for a hundred years until he is found and recruited in the provincial militia. Thus begins his strange journey, spanning across three wars and the entire eastern seaboard of North America: from the French and Indian War to the American Revolution, from the colony of Georgia to Quebec City.

Foster witnesses once loyal English become American rebels. He fights against dear friends turned foe, watch mortal companions blossom and wither, bears witness to the chain of events that would create the United States, and is left with revelations both inspiring and woeful.

"This is not a story about a man who changes the world, but a world that changes a man."

Please consider supporting it and/or sharing with your friends:

Posted by Jinn @ 11/18/2014 12:40  |    22

Marina (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 11/25/2014 08:56

In that case (Elite game) is normal that people get angry. If they promise an offline mode and they don't add it in the final version of the game, they are cheating people.

But, when someone change the game to improve it and adapt the whole style to the new team I think it's fine as long as they are realistic during the development to finish it -> not too far from their limits and the estimated budget. The problem here is that without money, the game development can't go further. It would be worse to cancel the game, and honestly, in the first kickstarter they request a misery (2k) and they get still a misery (4k). It's understandable that they start a new crowdfunding asking for a reasonable budget.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 11/23/2014 04:59

'Games change a lot from their original concept'

Bit of that in the news recently regarding the decision to not have an offline mode in the new Elite game thereby pissing off many of the people who backed it who were counting on it having the offline mode.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/22/2014 12:51

Please discuss things with maturity.
Some matters are worth a discussion between artists and all are making valid points.

However, No Personal Attacks!!!

Logoth (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/22/2014 10:21

Hahaha, "passive aggressive lady"? If anyone here is being passive agressive it's you and your "warnings" about this kickstarter and while we're on the subject, what exactly are you "warning" people about?

That this is the second kickstarter? We know that already.

That the author made mistakes? She's explained that already.

That the author changed the game? Games change a lot from their original concept, if you'd like ONE example; take a look at Left 4 Dead's original concepts.

That she helped a friend circumvent regional restrictions? "A violation of the terms of use"? Give me a break.

It comes off petty when you attack a former employer who isn't actively trying to harm, or rip people off. It comes off petty when you mention; over and over again, "dim financial prospects" for a job that you willingly took and accepted payment for. It's pettiness poorly guised as a warning and now I'm really curious as to why you're going to such lengths to disparage this campaign. Come on, I really though you were better than this =/

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 11/22/2014 09:50

Double post. Sorry!

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 11/22/2014 09:45

Double post. Sorry!

Marina (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 11/22/2014 05:54

Your comment it's a nonsense. Now when someone help a friend to set something in one website, is a bad person and it's responsable of other's mistakes. Don't make me laugh.

In other side, if I where jealous of somebody, I would be jealous of Bill gates, not of people who get funded on kickstarter. And we did get funded on kickstarter, I can't be jealous but thankful, because I'm "no one" in the industry, and we can work in something that we like and eat everyday. The "jealous excuse" is used often by fanboys and trolls.

I won't argue with you, you're pointless in everything. Also its funny that you come here to attack this kickstarter when you where working on it (but yes, you abandon de project and this show your lack or responsability, so, you're not the right one to judge other people. You got paid, so I don't know why you care that much about the autor's decisions as long as you get the money).

Sunjammer (Level 1 Seaman) @ 11/21/2014 17:38

happy thanksgiving everybody!!!

Logoth (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/21/2014 15:55

Mistakes were made, and lessons were surely learned; there's nothing particularly wrong with this as her intent is earnest. Further, she's done little to twist the truth in any way as to what transpired. She's decided to grow the game further, and for that she needs help. She's also pledged and is (proovably) still working on the rewards for her previous backers. Please do explain what about this people need to be warned about; and while you're at it, please explain your reasoning as to how she's "partially responsible" for the rainfall debacle when all she did was help a former friend in need set up a kickstarter account?

I don't know man, you always seemed like a cool guy back at GW, but the stuff I'm reading here paints you as a petty, greedy man.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 11/21/2014 13:36

Double post. Sorry!

Marina (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 11/21/2014 06:14

First at all. The first Kickstarter was 2 years ago, not 5 years ago. If she will take 5 years in total, is because she changed the whole game for it to be better and also because the old team-mates aren't working on it (you are one of those who dissapear, for example). There are lot of famous people that is late already for 2 years, and no one complain because it's NORMAL. It's hard to develop a game, then is harder to develop a big game.

She asked only 2k and she got 4k. It's not enought to made such a game that big, and this means that when we haven't experience developing games, we can be wrong when we put an estimation to finish it. And she's not the only one who mistake doing estimations, even veterans with 20 years of experience where wrong with their estimations as well.

It's also important to know that the game is Freeware, she is asking for money just to be able to develop the game working full time, and also to pay her team (you included when you did something for the game, or you did it for free?). Doesn't matter if people paid or not, they will have the game still. The problem here is time and budget, and I think that's why she is asking for money, because she want to be able to finish this game and give it to people who supported her during this time. In my opinion, is still a bit less what she ask now. It's an rpg, not an angry birds.

Another thing, the first kickstarter project was made on RPG Maker. Now she's working in a own engine, with a new and bigger team. She advanced a lot, and she didn't quit the game since the first kickstarter.

And she also make clear that people who paid the first kickstarter, did/will get the rewards that belongs to them anyway. So...

What's the problem here? that she's not famous?

Come on... I see how people is throwing the wallet on the screen when they see a game with 2 sketches and nothing else. She got a trailer with real content.

She deserves to have a chance, I think is really fair. If she cancel the game (thing that i doubt) I will go to you and I will give you the whole reason of what you said. And to be realistic, even if I dont believe she will quit it, I think she will take a bit longer to finish it.

But doesn't matter to me as long as she will finish it.

EDIT: I just read your first comment... wtf. Don't lie. Seltaire was not the responsable of Rainfall at all. She just helped the autor of that game with some stuff. Seems like you got something personal against her, so you lost credibility in my opinion.

hypocider (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/20/2014 12:34

Hey DE, I'm not going to try to change your opinion, but I do want to clarify that you are listed in credits within the game. You weren't listed on the page as an active team member as you are no longer with us.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 11/20/2014 07:01

Double post. Sorry!

Joltmasta (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/20/2014 06:52

DE if you'd actually looked at the page you'd see she was completely transparent about the first kickstarter and explained the need for a second. Also yes, all rewards that could be met not involving a complete game WERE sent to all backers, thank you for your concern.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 11/20/2014 06:46

It's shaping up to be a great game!

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 11/20/2014 04:48

Was the first KS funded or not?

Yeah, I actually helped with the game too but never got recognition. Oh well, you know what they say about giving without expecting anything in return.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 11/20/2014 00:14

It's shaping up to be a great game!

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/19/2014 19:27

Oh, it's not RPG Maker anymore, the game uses a custom engine built from scratch. It was a big step forward since the RPG Maker engine wouldn't really provide what we needed.

Zizka (Level 10 Operative) @ 11/19/2014 17:38

Isn't that the game from yummy drumsticks from rpgmaker.net?

Edit: yup, it is.

It's done with rpg maker (well it was last time I checked). She's put a lot of work into this for sure. I think she'll get funded. She deserves it to be honest.

Blackbeltdude (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 11/19/2014 14:01

I think I saw a news story about this game last week on the web.

Looks great! Best of luck you guys! :)

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 11/19/2014 13:32

"I can also math and science really well, but I'm still learning to English better.", that made me laugh.

Good looking game, although some of the scenes look very RPG Maker-y, I'm thinking that's because of a lack of cast shadows, and strange object usage where they don't fit in with the rest of the scene, palette-wise.

Unique and pretty interesting story/setting.

antiques icon/pixelartEriri icon/pixelartZelda BotW 2 icon/pixelartFrancis icon/pixelart