Pixel Art Challenge: Music Pixelizer

Create an abstract representation of a specific piece of music (don't forget to mention what it is!).

As the challenge calls for an abstract piece, avoid identifiable physical objects (no living beings, household items, eggplants, etc...). Try to capture the feelings the music provokes when listening to it; think in terms of patterns; shapes; colours; and, of course, pixel clusters.

Keep in mind that abstract should not be taken to mean excessively simple minimalism. You should put as much effort into this challenge as you would with any other.

For some inspiration: An abstract music visualizer for iTunes.

Optional Bonus Challenge: Create an animated piece that is in time with the music.

Canvas Size - Exactly 128 x 72. Either horizontal or vertical.
Colours - Max 12.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 7/21/2014 00:05  |    19

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/23/2014 12:18

They're technically abstract as they are purely conceptual, but they are pretty concrete, perhaps more so than images, and it would defeat the purpose of the challenge imo. Try to convey what the word conveys using abstract visual language

Kosvid (Level 4 Button Man) @ 7/23/2014 11:56

Okay, I give up :D

Mr.Fahrenheit (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 7/23/2014 08:36

Are words considered identifiable physical objects?

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/23/2014 07:25

Abstract and representational art require the same basic skills, and these foundations (color, line, composition, etc.) are in themselves abstract principles. The play of light and color are important to both abstract and representational works, just look at JMW Turner, who rode the line between abstract and representational. Pixeljoint is dedicated to pixelart, nothing more or less. I think you need a broader view of abstract art, maybe you think it's all drip paintings or something (not hating on Pollock at all).

Skoby (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/23/2014 05:54

@Agent00X the same could be said about sprites, mockups and cartoony/stylised pieces, they don't conform to standard physics and make up a large proportion of the work on here. Personally I'm finding this challenge harder than normal because I have no references or anything to refer to.

Otto (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 7/23/2014 03:22

An abstract image can be very complex in terms of drawing. For example, most arabic decoration is abstract, yet is is technically very complex: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7413/9659136998_e136c2f00a_z.jpg

Kosvid (Level 4 Button Man) @ 7/23/2014 01:32

I am under the impression that abstract art requires absolutely different skill - the skill of conveying emotions through colours/shapes/asf. But isn`t Pixeljoint dedicated to the skill of drawing (in the specific way)? =)
Drawing real objects demands understanding of physics (of light and colour change, for example) at least, and drawing abstract things does not. This is the skill I was talking about.

redstone_pii (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 7/22/2014 10:01

Darude - Sandstorm

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/22/2014 09:26

@Agent00X if you are under the impression that abstract art does not require skill, I'm going to challege your definitions of both terms.

Ratings have always been a bit of a concession, so I agree on that part.

Kosvid (Level 4 Button Man) @ 7/22/2014 02:40

Nice challenge as a challenge itself, but I think that it`s quite silly to rate someone`s impressions, especially abstract ones, and when there is no skill needed...

Anyway, it`s quite interesting what participants will come up with.

Joseki (Level 5 Detective) @ 7/21/2014 08:30

Very inspiring! I made my try with Tool - Lateralus. I posted a preview in the challenge thread :)

Mr.Fahrenheit (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 7/21/2014 07:25

Hmm this sounds interesting

Petruszka (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/21/2014 03:29

Too bad it has to be an abstract motive. For example when I listen to my favourite Mage's apprentice, I fancy ... well .. mage. Not much into abstract art.

Skoby (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/21/2014 00:55

Ah that makes sense now, it's too early for me to think about ratios

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/21/2014 00:53

I wanted to it to be a 16:9 ratio, but also reasonably small.

Skoby (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/21/2014 00:49

I would love to do an animation but I doubt I'd have time to finish it and get it synced. What is going on with the canvas size? Seems totally arbitrary to me, or am I missing something?

CraftyPixeI (Level 1 Intern) @ 7/21/2014 00:47

- Ohhh this will be fun : D -

Drazile (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 7/21/2014 00:07

This sure looks like a challenging challenge.

gurlfren icon/pixelartThree-eyed angel icon/pixelartCR7 icon/pixelartMore unused SOS stuff icon/pixelart