Pixel Art Is Here To Stay

Yesterday The Verge published an article shedding light on pixel art being used in recent computer games. Not big news to you maybe, but nonetheless a nice and motivating read on one of our favorite subjects.

Link: www.theverge.com/2014/7/3/5865849/pixel-art-is-here-to-stay

Posted by Imagician @ 7/4/2014 10:00  |    9

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 7/6/2014 14:21

Well, not shitty. I still think they're attractive looking - but - the examples they give do not show the variety and diversity in style that pixel art has. It seems as if when people think of "pixel art", they are thinking of that over-used modern simplistic style. However, lots of people commenting on that article are ignorant. Obviousily they do not understand indie game development and have adjusted to the modern consoles/game graphics, and have no idea what a budget is.

Regardless, I do not really care what the public says and whether pixel art really lasts. Still gonna be pushin em.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 7/6/2014 08:54

ugh...

7even (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/6/2014 07:25

I think Super Time Force, Sworcery and Girl on Fire are super sexy :) I think they just used examples from who they interviewed, though.

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 7/5/2014 18:35

It's a decent article. The examples shown were kinda shitty, though. It's lame to hear how the comments include "certainly not one for 20+ year old graphics that take literally no effort to do nowadays. You don’t even need to be an artist". There are plenty of sexy ass games done with pixel art.

skittle (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/5/2014 16:23

Oh, I missed that bit :(

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/5/2014 13:55

They don't reciprocate.

"I really think most pixel art is boring. I get tired when I hear that term."

CELS (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 7/5/2014 13:40

Pixel art is here to stay... for another few decades, at least. I get all the rational arguments about why pixel art is appealing, with or without nostalgia. But ultimately, I do get the feeling that it's just rationalisation and I don't think my grandchildren will share my love of pixel art.

It's ok though. Trying to learn a dying art form is kind of boss.

Naraxis (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/5/2014 00:19

Nicely written article. Support!

skittle (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/4/2014 15:20

So much respect for eBoy, it's awesome to see people able to go through life able to make pixel art that generates income to support them.

Banished Alchemist icon/pixelartAno and Noa Pt. 1 icon/pixelartThe Long (...) Night icon/pixelartStealth Shot? icon/pixelart