A.N.N.E on Kickstarter

The pixelart looks pretty good, and the gameplay looks interesting. I'm not sure who the artist is or if we would know of them in this community, though.

Posted by Drazelic @ 4/28/2013 16:18  |    13

Drazelic (Level 8 Partner) @ 5/16/2013 12:26

Don't mind Carnivac, he doesn't like it 80% of the time and grudgingly accepts it the other 20% :P

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/16/2013 10:10

Yeah I get it, I just couldn't see the point of it.  Even the incredibly blocky graphics of an Atari 2600 generally tried to shape a enjoyable character sprite to play.  I found the way it tried so desperately to force characterisation on rectangles with an annoying voiceover horribly obnoxious, pretentious and even lazy.  Basically the entire game felt like they'd remade the code and gameplay to Lost Vikings and then couldn't be assed making any sprites.  And if that's 'stylistic' then I really cannot be bothered to continue trying to play that godawful eyesore...

7heSama (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/15/2013 17:35

"I was playing 'Thomas Was Alone' the other day as it was free on PS+ and they didn't even bother, it's just rectangles and I got very bored very quickly" Good job totally missing the point of that game. :I I haven't even played it but jesus does the phrase "stylistic choice" mean anything to you?

_Connor (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 5/11/2013 18:32

The more pixel art in the indie gaming community the better. It sure as hell beats vector art / flash art.

DragonMarx (Level 2 Peon) @ 5/11/2013 13:41

I'd like to drop in and comment on this particular interaction :> Hopefully Mo will check back here and read this. I agree with Carnivac in some aspects.. Games with "8-bit/ 16-bit!" styles usually go the wrong way.. The character shapes aren't really what lack imo, it's the colors. The way theyre shaded reminds me of what I would do in elementary school, and it's not really my cup of tea. Your game looks great, but it's really just a hybrid of pixel art. There are way too many gradients to actually pull it off. This isn't bad perse but it does irk me sometimes haha.  With this aside, I wish you the best of luck, and I myself have a Kickstarter on the way (another ixel game mind you, though with more traditional pixeling). I'm a bit concerned about all the new pixel Kickstarters such as ANNE Chasm and C-wars, but hopefully it it unique enough in its own charm and style for people to notice it :)

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/11/2013 00:41

Yeah I didn't mean to offend or anything. It's just several things annoy me about modern 2D games claiming to be retro and bringing back the feeling of the 8 or 16 bit era and then do things that totally break that 'illusion' for me.  Am bit of a purist that way.  I don't mind a bit of zoomed in pixelation (the extremely large blocky explosions in Cybernator still felt fun enough to make happen).  And I like character sprites that attempt to make the most out of their size whether they're large beat 'em up sprites or little 16x16 platfomer types especially when they use pixel placement and colour well to convey the appearance of shape and detail seemingly beyond what the space should allow.  I just get no enjoyment playing a game with incredibly simple character sprites (though at least you've tried to give them some character in their appearance... I was playing 'Thomas Was Alone' the other day as it was free on PS+ and they didn't even bother, it's just rectangles and I got very bored very quickly) but it's your project and if you enjoy what you're doing then great.  It looks to be a popular game and as I said before, good luck with it and I hope it's a success.

mobroots (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/10/2013 22:13

What's up guys! I'm Mo and I am making this game. I've been coming here on and off for a few years now. Respect all of you guys work a lot. @Carnivac you're a beast man. This is my first pixel art game and the style is not something that was randomly generated. It's well planned. If I take some of your sprites and throw them in my game you would probably cry. Because when the camera zooms in, the resolution gets really low. So going from 720P to a quarter of that, full screen on a tv, it gets pixely very fast and the aliasing gets nasty. For this reason i have developped a style that is very boxy. In order to make it interesting I gave it a certain volume. But that said! It is my first Pixel art game, ho actually second one sort of 2 years ago (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oSKi63u6HXw/UITHeqQlwPI/AAAAAAAAAFI/oKyfdYeeeRc/s1600/06_04_Boss_fight_01.jpg). Regardless Im a newb at Pixel art. But I really like what I've done so far with the style. I am not trying to change your minds, but since I respect everyone here I wanted to come forward and say it like it is! Real talk! Cheers guys!

ve

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/9/2013 23:28

Characters look like bum rubbish, but the environments look okay. The platformer/shmup/adventure is one of the games on my list-of-games-I-will-never-actually-make.

skittle (Level 9 Nidan) @ 5/9/2013 14:17

Cute art (though I must agree with Connor on the gameplay). I like how his feet turn into wheels when he dashes.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/9/2013 04:40

Hm, can't say I like the look of it.  Characters look too basic to be even considered 8-bit, and they claim it's SNES-like in appearance (and in which case why does it seemingly use alpha transparent effects and heavy gradients...something that often bugs me in 'retro' games).  Still good luck to them.

_Connor (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 5/9/2013 02:53

The art looks absolutely stunning, the gameplay looks a bit generic.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 5/8/2013 14:11

Lovely.

CraftyPixel (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/8/2013 13:39

- I LOVE IT!!! -

SwordswomanMaid icon/pixelartBlind Monster icon/pixelartPulse icon/pixelartSprite God icon/pixelart