Pixel Art Challenge: When The Wind Changed

Create a portrait of a human character pulling a face. Inspired by the book of the same name.

Canvas Size - Exactly 80 x 80.
Colours - Max 16.
Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by jeremy @ 1/14/2013   |    20

|||| (Level 8 Marshal) @ 1/19/2013 18:17

Haiy! I think this is the perfect ref:

www.youtube.com/watch

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 1/15/2013 23:53

$250 for that book brand new...must be rare!

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 1/15/2013 20:00

Grown men making faces in the mirror? I'm tempted

Edit: something like this? XD

Nikonani (Level 1 Seaman) @ 1/15/2013 14:12

Tape + hair = ouch ouch ouch :(

Hoping to enter this week's contest; I say that every week, but some busywork always pops up in school soon after I starting working on an entry...

|||| (Level 8 Marshal) @ 1/15/2013 14:09

Maybe these could be used for ref as well:theorange.co/blog/2012/12/27/scotch-tape-portraits-by-wes-naman.html I saw these recently but don't remember from what source, there are a lot more too. It might have even been linked here before; I just can't remember.

MashPotato (Level 7 Underboss) @ 1/15/2013 08:42

I do that all the time ;) I'll be painting, then I realize that I'm looking angry/sad/etc.

This challenge sounds like a fun one!

Joseki (Level 5 Detective) @ 1/15/2013 04:12

Good reference! +1 because i love Calvin & Hobbes.

Am I the only one around here who makes facial expressions himself while drawing them because it helps visualizing them?

Argyle (Level 6 Manager) @ 1/15/2013 03:51

For inspiration, look to this Calvin & Hobbes comic strip.

I'll always remember Bill Waterson's commentary, from one of the C&H anthologies that I read while I was just a fledgling wanna-be artist, regarding the faces in each panel and how he had to keep holding contorted face poses while looking at himself in a mirror to use as reference for Calvin's expressions for each of these panels. Aside from making me laugh picturing a grown man making these faces for the sake of anatomical reference, it was the first time I ever thought to use a mirror to use your own face as a drawing reference for various poses. Right after that I remember making scratchy drawings of mouth positions for every phonetical sound I could think of, and it honestly did help me years later with doing lip sync animations for Flash projects immensely.

TLDR: Har har, click link for good examples of what the challenge is about - Portraits of human photobombing their own picture.

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 1/15/2013 03:23

I think it's clear and english is not my first language. We have an obvious example...

@Opacus. -  Yes! But they must be human... :P

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 1/15/2013 02:21

Ah, a portrait challenge. Love me one of these :D

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 1/15/2013 02:17

Can I draw a pixel art of a guy pulling another guy's face of?

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 1/14/2013 18:29

Strange or exaggerated facial expression, or if you want to take it literally, someone actually grabbing and pulling the skin of a face. :P

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 1/14/2013 15:26

Yeah, English is my native language, and I still don't really understand what that sentence means XD

CrimsonPixel (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 1/14/2013 13:52

At first I thought it was literally a human defacing itself or something... but that's mostly due to my sick mind.

Adcrusher (Level 6 Major) @ 1/14/2013 13:20

I feel like the discription might confuse some members, especially people who are not native to english. Possibly rephrase the sentence to be more clear?

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 1/14/2013 04:28

(I have to admit that I have laughed ...)

Then... What happens if I'm not a human?  Could I draw a portrait of myself if I'm not a person?

It doesn't matter... I am a human... (...or that's what I think...)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 1/14/2013 03:04

Yes, you can do a self-portrait if you want :P

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 1/14/2013 02:47

What about an ugly human?

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 1/14/2013 00:28

Human human only. I think it defeats the purpose of showing human facial expressions if you're creating something non-human.

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 1/14/2013 00:24

I can see a massive participation...

Could it be a "humanoid" instead a human? (for example a demon . Maybe a human character possessed, a mutant human... these are still humans... aren't they?)

Maruko and Sakiko icon/pixelartMood:Wavey icon/pixelartWoman and Blue Damask icon/pixelartTransference icon/pixelart