Pixel Art Challenge: Isoamerican

This week, in order to celebrate the upcoming 13th B'ak'tun; you are challenged to create an isometric piece which depicts a Mesoamerican pyramid, or a pyramid inspired by actual Mesoamerican pyramids.

This page should be helpful.

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 21.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

Posted by jeremy @ 12/17/2012   |    16

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 12/23/2012 22:44

Well, I was trying to see if I could do a piece in the four hours I had before work, however, my inexperience with iso made it rather irritating and there ain't no chance I'm finishing in half an hour before work.

I also cannot use my photobucket, so I can't even show a WIP. =(

Nevercreature (Level 9 Vice President) @ 12/18/2012 07:15

I'm not going to do anything. The world will end next friday.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 12/18/2012 04:38

I wish I would be able to see the outcome of this challenge... Can't we start the voting already tomorrow maybe?

Losm (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 12/17/2012 20:09

"Colours - Max 21."

I see what you did there.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/17/2012 19:10

>I don't think I've encountered nonstandard iso either irl or in pixel.

IRL = 30 degrees ("Isometric" itself means 30-degree lines; we've just expanded it to include any useful dimetric projection.)  15-degree dimetric (shallow view) and 30-60 (pseudo-oblique) are also popular for product design.

Pixel-art dimetric = 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1 (among others).  Boktai is a very popular 1:1 isometric game.  Many games on c64 and amiga used 3:1 and 4:1; shallower angles became less popular as days want by though.

Live a little bro!

EDIT : sticking to 2:1 for the challenge is fine.  just pointing out there's lots of other systems!

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/17/2012 15:29

I see your point, but stick to the standard 2:1 / 22.6 degree lines. I can just see this opening a can of worms in future challenges and collabs :/

And honestly, I don't think I've encountered nonstandard iso either irl or in pixel.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/17/2012 15:09

not line angles, but rather compression ratio (camera pitch)

^ the trouble with any of these middle pitches is that the steps butt into each other.  A view that is closer to side-on or top-down (while remaining dimetric) allows you to show the plan or the profile better (for this particular shape).

Adcrusher (Level 6 Major) @ 12/17/2012 14:23

Whats the point we'll all be dead in a few days!!

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/17/2012 13:27

Are you talking about the angle of the sides of the pyramid? There's no need to stick to 2:1 there (outside of beiing anal about nice lines I guess). These mesoamerican ones tend to be step pyramids anyway.

Voltali obscur (Level 9 Boss) @ 12/17/2012 12:21

Iso challenge... unusual but why not give a try? :D

>AoBaka< (Level 1 Depressed) @ 12/17/2012 11:35

And i thougth i would have problems with this XD <---- noob

SturmgewehrKreuz (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 12/17/2012 09:53

maybe the ratio will be based on our own preference?i used 2:1 for the angled parts; they served me nicely.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 12/17/2012 09:37

Does Isometric require that it be 2:1, or can we use another ratio?  (Pyramids are notoriously nondescript in standard videogame isometric - a steeper or shallower angle is preferable).

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 12/17/2012 00:24

End of the world challenge? :D

Dyl (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 12/17/2012 00:24

iso -> non-iso

>AoBaka< (Level 1 Depressed) @ 12/17/2012 00:21

well okay than...isometric?---meaning blocky and in shape right?  i still mess up with knowing icometric from non isometric,and basicly we need to draw a pyramid and add some stairs to it and windows?

Fire Flower icon/pixelartThe Enchantress icon/pixelartAmiga Top-down Dungeon icon/pixelartPet 03a - Lion Baby icon/pixelart