Animaki 2 Released

Oekaki.nl, a Dutch website, has a browser-based pixel art animation program called "Animaki". Don't dismiss it for being "just" an HTML5 app, because it's surprisingly complete - even more so now that version 2 is out.

• The usual tools (pencil, eraser, flood fill, etc)
  • Selections which can also be used as a mask
  • Editable palettes, which can also contain semi-transparent colours
  • Onion skin
  • A unique "skeleton mode" with which one can quickly design motions
  • Several high level palettes included including Dawnbringer's 16 color super palette.

A demo can be found here: www.oekaki.nl/animakidemo.html (no installation or plugins required, works in most browsers except IE).

The demo starts with a 64x64 canvas. If you need a different size, you can go here and use the form (in Dutch).

Posted by Roel.Senile @ 11/2/2012 01:46  |    12

r1k (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/11/2012 00:52

oh okay thanks, that makes things alot better.  The only other thing I would want is the ability to load a gif into the program to continue working on it if it cant already do that.  Great program though, I will probably do my animating with this in the future.  The skeleton feature, and onion skinning is very helpful; normally I just draw a sprite sheet and upload it into gamemaker periodically to see how it looks when its actually animated... needless to say this program is much better

Roel.Senile (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 11/10/2012 22:49

@r1k: Yes. Upload it to the server, and on the next page click the download button (the arrow pointing down). The server can convert your animation to various file types (gif, png, apng).

r1k (Level 1 Rookie) @ 11/10/2012 20:23

is there a way to save my animation to my hardrive?

Roel.Senile (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 11/4/2012 23:03

@surt: The problem with the space bar in Chrome is now fixed.

Right-clicking bringing up the context menu is not a bug. There are more important things to do first.

The selection problem is now solved.

@A.B. Lazer: Not yet, but there will be in a future update.

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/4/2012 12:33

I'm using Chrome on 64-bit Linux (now) and Firefox on 64-bit Windows 8 (earlier).

I've tried pressing and releasing space at various times but it always toggles the animation window. Ideally it would be a separate key so there's no ambiguity. Middle mouse-button pan would go nicely with the mouse wheel scroll.

Alt-left-click is working fine for me in Chrome/Linux but alt-right-click (EDIT: make that just right-clicking) always brings up the context menu.

Also in Chrome/Linux (haven't tried Firefox/Windows) the double-click event isn't being consumed so if I accidently double-click the canvas it selects the Palette-panel's title text and drags that around when I next stroke and screws with the stroke handling.

A.B. Lazer (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 11/4/2012 12:24

Is there a way to add a layer?

Roel.Senile (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 11/4/2012

@surt: The program should only toggle animation if you didn't drag the canvas before releasing the space bar. If that didn't work for you, could you please tell me which browser and OS you're on?

If alt is not working for you, you can also hold the ~ button to sample colours.

Chaning the canvas size will probably be supported in a future version.

Saving locally is possible in theory, but it's challenging. Most browser's security policies will try to prevent this. It would be easy enough to save the animation in the program's native format (*.aki), but that's probably not much use to you and animated gif/png would be a very different story.

Mousewheel zooming is now supported!

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 11/3/2012 14:39

Space-to-pan toggles the full-window animation screen for me.

Alt-colour-pick is pretty awkward. Frequently flashing up the context-menu or the window-menu. I'm pretty sure consuming all alt-key events has worked for me in the past for the window-menu problem.

Indexed-like colour editing is very nice.

It would be nice to be able to set image size and save locally without having to go server-side.

Mouse-wheel zoom would be nice too.

Kyata (Level 3 Stalker) @ 11/3/2012 14:03

I use alt all the time, no problem. But only annoying if you want to switch between frames after it with the arrow keys.

Roel.Senile (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 11/3/2012 14:00

It does support alt+click to sample colours. Unfortunately pressing alt will often select the browser's menu, which can be a bit annoying at times. The [ and ] keys work to change the brush size, which is also similar to Photoshop. :)

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 11/3/2012 13:48

It's pretty fast which is awesome, performs better than photoshop. but it doesn't have the photoshop shortcuts, which is why I use it, such at alt+click to pick up a color, and alt+rightclick+drag to resize brush. If it had those I would use it.

RileyFiery (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 11/3/2012 09:28

It's actually pretty impressive.

Samurai Girl icon/pixelartPAC-GAL icon/pixelartPiggies icon/pixelartRobbin icon/pixelart