Personal-Challenge Activity

In light of the recent server issues, there won't be a proper challenge this week. Instead, we are going to ask you guys to take on your own personal challenge - it can be whatever you like!

Some possible ideas to consider:

• Take the first piece in your gallery and remake it.
  • Pick an old challenge you missed and create something using those restrictions.
  • Pick a form of pixel art that is outside of your comfort zone (eg. if you mainly create scenery, try making an animated sprite).
  • Make something using techniques that you have not mastered - or - avoid using techniques that you use often (eg. if you frequently dither, try creating a piece without any dithering whatsoever).
  • Use a style that you have never considered using before.
  • Create a piece that uses colours that you absolutely HATE.
  • Or maybe pixel something in celebration of Pixeljoint's 11th anniversary - which just happens to be today (well, at very least, it's been 11 years since sedgemonkey created his account.)

Keep in mind, this is NOT a weekly challenge, your work will not be voted on, nor does it need to comply with any specific requirements. These are just some suggestions for you to consider.

However, just like a regular challenge, there will be a thread where you can post WIPs etc...

Posted by skamocore @ 8/8/2012 05:26  |    31

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 8/14/2012 04:07

Not to them? Sorry, but the way you said that could basically justify any act. If a murderer doesn't think he's wrong, he doesn't need to be stopped? (Extreme example, I know. Just trying to make a point.) This site was created for the purpose of having fun making and improving pixel art, not about winning awards. Nearly all people on this site make pixel art with that attitude. So sure he can go on in his selfish ways, but the more he carries on with it, the more people here will start to dislike him. Those people also happen to be the ones who vote for his work and they will take his attitude into the equation when judging his work. So in the end, his attitude will not only hamper his improvement and make creating pixel art less fun, but it'll also make sure he won't win the awards he so clearly desires. The best way to win awards is to simply have fun, enjoy making and improving your work. Eventually it will pay off. And hey, help some other people like they helped you and you might even make some friends along the way. Simple fact is: if you try to make art for the sole purpose of winning awards, you'll never truly make art.

MikauKahn (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 8/12/2012 01:28

Not ignoring the war below...

To the people who don't like that philippejugnet is upset that he wasn't able to win anything:
Not everyone does things for the same reason. You might draw for fun or for the pride of a finished picture, but some people draw to pass time away, others draw to be better than other people.

Just because someone does something for a different reason than you doesn't make them wrong. Yes, the way they do it might seem immoral to you, but not to them.

MikauKahn (Level 4 Team Leader) @ 8/12/2012 01:20

Ignoring the lil' war on respect below...

I think I'm going to rework my Minimalist pic. I'm going to redraw the characters, but in my own full way. I find that the minimalist style is a two edged sword: If you use it correctly, you get a picture full of life. If you don't, your picture's emotion dies.

JuninFC (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 8/11/2012 10:57

então você é estranho de nascença mesmo

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/11/2012 07:56

It's all I do all the time.

JuninFC (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 8/10/2012 18:36

Lol phili , estou começando a notar que você é estranho vei . Voce é um bom artita , sei disso , mas voce é estranho ... Muda esse seu jeito de ser ai , sei lá , vai pra um lugar e fca sozinho pensando na vida por algum tempo

Sergiotron (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 8/10/2012 17:24

I'll try to come up with something. Tonight is gonna be a loooooong night.

Graindolium (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 8/10/2012 16:55

failureboy (Level 7 Assassin) @ 8/10/2012 14:16

Wish this site had a *squelch* option.

Or does it?

Whisper Heart (Level 1 Gangster) @ 8/10/2012 13:13

And all these problems started because of technical problems on the site ...

What can I say looking at all of what is written below?
Wistfulness. Sadness.

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 8/10/2012 10:55

Alert: Distorted things in your very post found.

(This is going nowhere, I'll stop here. If you are "social" enough to complain about nonsense things right here, I'm sure you'll also be to discuss it somewhere else.)

Nikonani (Level 1 Seaman) @ 8/10/2012 10:54

...

If that's what you think of the community and its artists, I really feel bad for you.

I've seen most of your threads, the C+C on your submission, etc., and I can't see anyone out to get you.  No one.  Yet, you seem to think all the "worst artists" are, in fact, planning your humiliation.  I've seen you overreact to C+C and comments by those you see as artists inferior to you -- and concluded that you're a bit full of yourself, honestly.  Especially after saying these people "suck at life and are just a failure at everything".  Demeaning others because you didn't like the harmless things they said -- I'd be embarrassed for even thinking that, if I were in your shoes!

That whole relation to "society" was really a stretch, I barely understand it's implications.

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/10/2012 08:37

I am antisocial. I am different from everybody, if I were a common kid I woudn't be doing art right now. As you can see here the worst artist are the ones judging others and trying to be "the leader". "see I humiliated you, now I am feeling good!". They do this because they really suck at life and they are just a failure in everything, so they try to humiliate others to feel better. As you can see, when I talked to some of those people they just said I was crap blablabla they distorted things to CREATE  a point and try to make me feel better. When I talked to good artists such as elk, fool, tarius, a3um  they helped me instead. You see, this is society! and that's why I am antiSOCIETY.

Christoballs (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 8/10/2012 05:47

Are you sure? It's... I don't know? Art is an integral part of society, how can you say this? At some point you'll realise that this pseudo-romantic view on creating art is fallacious. PM me if you want to discuss this, I have better things to do than to strut my stuff on Internet.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 8/9/2012 18:56

What does that even mean?

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/9/2012 17:29

Art for me is a lack of social skills.

edit: graindolium why you deleted your comment?

Graindolium (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 8/9/2012 16:26

you are a child

Mikebissle (Level 3 Stalker) @ 8/9/2012 15:35

I' ll try to make time for this; I have plenty of old crap I' d love to take a stab at remaking and post. My schedule has been bonkers this month. o.O

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/9/2012 15:31

guys I said it's all fine now.

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 8/9/2012 13:03

I think you are too pretentious. I mean, ok, winning awards must be really good for self motivation. But when it becomes one's only goal, it just loses all the sense. Do things for yourself, don't just follow them like a dog that obeys its owner only because it wants food. If you're willing for becoming famous, or anything like that, don't act like a factory that can't stop; take more time to have creative ideas, develop techniques and finally improve in each piece you pixel, doing something that'll call attention for something worth. But, if you just desire pixel ribbons and the perfect community, why don't you create your own one?

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 8/9/2012 12:20

At the end of the day:

You join Pixeljoint, Pixeljoint does not join you!

Same goes obviously for joining weekly challenge. It is a free service of exposure and fun, let's thank them instead of take them for granted!

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/9/2012 08:29

I mean that its not the first time that happends ( not a problem ) but last time was with the green with envy challege, and you overextended it. So, it's fine.

Terrify (Level 3 Chief) @ 8/9/2012 08:06

Self motivation is an award in itself. Everything shouldn't be done just for the glory.

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 8/8/2012 22:44

Oh hush. We have no control over what had happened. How's it disrespectful? We are trying to motivate other pixel artists to pixel via the Weekly Challenge, the award is just a bonus and the fact that you said "I wasted my time last week" makes me lose respect for you. Feel proud you have a new piece of art under your belt, no need to focus on the prize. Believe me, we didn't ask for server issues.

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/8/2012 15:50

I used to think like that, but what happend was disrespcful in some ways, and awards are always great.

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 8/8/2012 12:38

If you still feel more pleasure for winning pixel awards than for pixelling, I'd suggest you (as some people have already done, I guess) to reconsider what you do with your life.

I'll try to take some time to remake my "snail", I want to do this since I posted it =p

JuninFC (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 8/8/2012 10:24

lol, thats so different and great! Maybe I do something for it

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/8/2012 08:17

Ah, ok nice =/ I wasted my time last week anyways '-'

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 8/8/2012 08:13

>  Keep in mind, this is NOT a weekly challenge, your work will not be voted on

philippejugnet (Level 6 Hitman) @ 8/8/2012 08:12

question: this is going to give us awards right?

Candle Handler icon/pixelartfrogg icon/pixelartTrees and Rocks icon/pixelartDeep Jungle icon/pixelart