OffBook: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art

The newest episode of Off Book: "The Evolution of 8-Bit Art". Off Book is a web series from PBS that explores cutting edge art, the artists that make it and the people that share it online.

Beginning with early Atari and Nintendo video games, the 8-bit aesthetic has been a part of our culture for over 30 years. As it moved through the generations, 8-bit earned its independence from its video game roots. The idea of 8-bit now stands for a refreshing level of simplicity and minimalism, is capable of sonic and visual beauty, and points to the layer of technology that suffuses our modern lives. No longer just nostalgia art, contemporary 8-bit artists and chiptunes musicians have elevated the form to new levels of creativity and cultural reflection.

Featuring: Jesper Juul, Dr. Octoroc, Minusbaby, Anamanguchi and Anthony Sneed

You can see it here: [link]

Posted by jalonso @ 6/15/2012 07:59  |    17

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/17/2012 13:17

8 bit got a new meaning, which has little to do with the original meaning. And that is okay.

Kaiseto (Level 6 Made) @ 6/16/2012 20:00

@Jalonso, Hah. I wasn't sure if you were making some sort of joke I wasn't in on, or if it was an innocent typo.

CobaltHex (Level 3 Stalker) @ 6/16/2012 19:43

i really hate how most of that is called '8 bit'. huge blocks and no detail is not 8 bit. its blocky and no detail. real 8bit stuff evolved past the 70s. also the music. real '8bit' is created with a tracker, not a mixer and a mackbook

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/16/2012 10:23

@Kaiseto,My bad,  I always tend to mispell  iLKke and when I don't I confuse the Serbian Posse

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 6/16/2012 08:39

Okay, let me summarize: People like it because its nostalgic, it's easy.

What a BS

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/16/2012 05:41

That Anthony Sneed stuff is some of the worst anything ever.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/16/2012 04:33

They showed Paul Robertson in there!

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 6/15/2012 20:53

*Jamon's ;)

I'd have preferred the whole thing to be about pixel art (obviusly :p ), but it was a pretty cool video!

Kaiseto (Level 6 Made) @ 6/15/2012 20:39

Did you just say Ikkle intentionally?

Super17 (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 6/15/2012 18:34

Quite nice video

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/15/2012 13:30

Ikkle's work is on there too. This is an American Public television publisher (PBS) so its more thoughtful and pro than usual 8bit related stuff out there.

I actually find this to be an important piece.

Ego (Level 6 Commander) @ 6/15/2012 13:25

That was a remarkably respectful look at the genre, I'm used to modern looks at 8-bit very much narrowing the focus to just looking at the nostalgic value instead of handling it as its own avenue for art. Not quite sure I agree with the guy who called it easier (since it often isn't) and their definition of 8-bit was more matched to an 8-bit-inspired culture rather than  true technical 8-bit, but a breath of fresh air.

And hey, I saw them flash Snake's Stage Bomber piece on screen! (at 1:19)

frogg icon/pixelartMinotaur icon/pixelartPet 03a - Lion Baby icon/pixelartZip and Swell icon/pixelart