Liberated Pixel Cup

Liberated Pixel Cup is a two-part competition: make a bunch of awesome free culture licensed artwork, and then program a bunch of free software games that use it. Liberated Pixel Cup brings together some powerful allies: Creative Commons, OpenGameArt, the Free Software Foundation, and you.

This pixelart contest begins June 1st with monetary prizes. Read the rules and FAQ pages HERE if interested. Good luck!

*News item suggested and submitted by Sharm

Posted by jalonso @ 5/1/2012 08:19  |    10

MrBeast (Level 3 Sergeant) @ 5/12/2012 08:35

There are no prizes yet because it hasn't started yet.

Elk (Level 5 Assistant Manager) @ 5/11/2012 20:58

prizes? what prizes

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/11/2012 10:14

Sweet!, I couldn't find that thread at all...Community Badge sent your way :)

EDIT: That was not the thread I seeked but it will do for this comp as meeting ground.

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/10/2012 15:20

Ahh, I see.  I also found the existing thread.

Sharm (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/10/2012 14:44

3/4ths view isn't a rule, the rule is that it works with those tiles.  So if you make platformer tiles that work with the sprite, or you make a forest scene that would be a good battle back, that's just fine.

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/10/2012 14:07

@jalonse, is the existing thread this one?  If not, I could not find it in the PJ forum.  Should I just create a new one?@Souly, I didn't see the 3/4 requirement so that obviously limits game ideas.

Anyone hear of the "Chinese room" argument in philosophy?  It is interesting logic that tries to prove computers can't think and therefore can't become self-aware.  How about a game based on this philosophy?  It could be as simple as receiving input and producing output based on the Chinese room philosophy.

Souly (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/10/2012 11:47

I was about to submit this to the news when I saw it.
I see I don't have to. :]

I'd enter this... but they only want 3/4 view tiles, which is just not my sort of thing.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/10/2012 10:38

If anyone opens a forum thread for this as a collab or looking for others to join then let us know so we can add to this news item which we'll run again closer to the deadline as a reminder for all.

Of course posting here for collab team formations is totally cool.

ps: This news was suggested by Sharm and there is one forum thread about this already. I know nothing at all about this comp even tho I posted the news item.

shampoop (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/10/2012 09:20

Hmm, I have already started building a game engine.  Maybe I'll show it off for the Coding Phase.  Mrmo, Maybe we can start a collab thread and get a head start on game idea/graphics.

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 5/10/2012 08:51

I might just enter this thing, if only to contribute to a good cause :D

In water icon/pixelartOldStuff icon/pixelartIt's a me, Victor Sena! icon/pixelartAngry Videl icon/pixelart