Animation Lockdown

PJ member Souly took part in a local 48 hour pixel animation jam hosted by Quickdraw Animation Society in May 2011.
The theme was to make an animation using 8-bit in any form or concept. Voxel, Graph-Paper, or Pixel art.
Participants could work as teams of 1-4 people.

Trailer for the screening of the animations.

Here are all the animations that were uploaded online. (there were 18 submissions in total)
Matthew Wright - Seismic Heart
Henry & Michael - Germanic Panic
Adam Muhieddine - MUSHU SUN
Travis Dickie- All Your Pledges Are Belong To Us
Derek Boe aka Souly - Little Bit of Life

Many of the submissions were very non-pixel art, some of them weren't very 8-bit at all.
Here is a submission that was borderline non 8-bit themed.
Brian Batista - AVERT YOUR EYES

The winner of the competition was decided by votes at the showing in the theater, the winning team won because they brought the most people to the theater.

"The winning animation had no amount of 8-bit in it, by my definition of 8-bit.
Lockdown event was still a good time, and something I would like to do again soon." - Derek Boe

Posted by Souly @ 10/16/2011 19:41  |    13

LumpyTouch (Level 4 Deputy) @ 10/22/2011 20:17

I remember reading about this.  Great that you entered.

ultimaodin (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 10/21/2011 09:05

I liked Souly's and the MUSHU SUN one as well.
I have to say souly that embreo - evolution was sweet!

Mathias (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 10/21/2011 04:02

Nice job, Souly, glad you participated. Rep'n PJ whut WHUT

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/21/2011 03:42

I really liked the ping-pong, hehe :D

Also, it is funny to see (and it happens more often) that people do think about low resolution like in german panic, but they don't think about vibrant ugly colors, or even reduce the amount of colors!

Souly (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 10/20/2011 16:22

The term 8-bit is loosely used just as much as indie and retro is.
Anything pertaining to the idea of grid based artwork would have been acceptable.
Grid paper, Voxels such as lego, M&Ms, Stop motion with coins, anything being used as a pixel would be fine.

The animation that took 2nd place was all done using grid paper and dither patterns.
So I considered it to be "8-bit" enough for the competition.
The animation that took 3rd place was MUSHU SUN.

The piece that took first place... Had vector flash animations and ended with a video collage of dog attacks and then flashing non-pixel art words on screen for 5 minutes. Wohoo 8-bit.

Winner was choosen by the audience members who came to the screeneing, the winning team brought two rows of people to see the screening at $7 per person. I brought no one to the screening so my chances of winning were 10/1 against me.

I agree with Ego, the M&M one is totally allowable.
It was actually my personal favorite and the one I voted for to win, it didn't even place either.

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 10/20/2011 15:59

Your entry was solid as heck, the rest can't compare. Argghh! I hate how it was judged. >: (

Ego (Level 6 Commander) @ 10/20/2011 13:17

Souly's was obviously the only solid-pixel one(and thus best in my eyes) but I'll admit I like the M&M one too. It isn't computer pixels, but the process that goes into stuff like that isn't very different from our onw(it's limited palette, you're stuck to a grid - well, with M&Ms it's more like a hex grid, precise placement is important, etc.) Not as pure as Souly's, but I still like the M&M one somewhat.

Oh god, that avert your eyes one. I can't even tell where he's getting "8-bit inspired" from there.

Photocopier (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/20/2011 13:07

I hate the outside world's usage of the term '8-bit' it always make me cringe.

Gecimen (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 10/20/2011 11:14

Souly your entry is the only one worth watching and only one that's pixel related. I think you should change this news to "I made a video of pixels."

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/20/2011 10:40

8bit = anything pixelated. got it.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 10/20/2011 10:23

Pretty nifty entry Souly. Best of luck to you, hope you win.

showtime (Level 6 Made) @ 10/20/2011 10:18

Yeah, I ended up averting my ears and eyes about a third of the way into the AVERT YOUR EYES video...

Souly, I imagine you wrote the music for your video, or no?

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 10/20/2011 10:12

Ugh, that last one. More like AVERT YOUR EARS!

frogg icon/pixelartTreant walk cycle icon/pixelartOldStuff icon/pixelartTrees and Rocks icon/pixelart