Darkstalkers - Twelve Principles of Animation

Good read and analysis on the animations of the famous Capcom's Darkstalkers fighting game that featured really good animations for its time. Read it HERE!

Posted by iLKke @ 7/31/2011 16:48  |    13

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 8/12/2011 05:05

They even mention the Animator's Survival kit. Good stuff.

KittenMaster (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/12/2011 02:24

Yeah, I wouldn't want every game to exaggerate that much.  If I were designing animations I'd have the stretching more subtle.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 8/12/2011 02:11

Yeah but for me it made them feel somewhat like rubber and kinda ruins the solid feel of the characters attacks which is something I find very important in any kind of game that involves hitting other characters.

KittenMaster (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/11/2011 14:26

Squashing and stretching as used in these examples also give the characters larger hurtboxes as the gameplay for these attacks than their unstretched bodies would normally allow.

Friend (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 8/11/2011 13:37

I think the squash and stretch animation can really add pop sometimes, but other times it just looks plain weird, like the example with akaris's tomb where his feet get really thin upon landing.  I didn't even realize how much work goes into animating things that last mere seconds

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 8/11/2011 13:24

It's good stuff.  Never did much like that squash and stretch stuff though in that game.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/11/2011 11:56

* bookmarked * =)

The Fry Bat (Level 5 Detective) @ 8/10/2011 00:41

Oh my, how useful~

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 8/9/2011 21:05

Thanks for posting this. What great animations to break down.

ChrisButton (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/9/2011 17:52

It's a nice read. Everything in there is basically spot on. :-)

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 8/9/2011 11:59

Perfect timing. I've been working on a fighting game for the last few weeks.  Good info.

ellie-is (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/9/2011 09:34

That was amazing. I really feel inspired to work on some animation now... Damn. I had other things to do. >_<

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/9/2011 09:02

That is one great read and highly recommended even if animation is not your thing.

Friendly Setting icon/pixelartCieloRojo icon/pixelartCrossovers We Never Wanted to See, No.084: "Anne of Clark Gables" icon/pixelartPulse icon/pixelart