Pixel Art Challenge: Ye Olde Space Exploration

To commemorate the conclusion of NASA's Space Shuttle Program, we bring you this challenge:

Depict space exploration occurring much earlier than it actually did. This could be anything from millions of years ago, right up until the 1900s. So, for example; ancient Egyptian astronauts or neanderthals visiting the moon.

Canvas Size - Max 200 x 200.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 7/25/2011 00:01  |    24

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 7/31/2011 15:16

Dagnabbit. I'm not going to finish in time!

Cilein (Level 5 Detective) @ 7/27/2011 13:49

How are panels looked upon for a comic sequence? You could animate changing between them within the limit but for presentation multiple panels each within the 200x200px limit separated by transparency or black would be nice. Not trying to be awkward on purpose :)

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 7/27/2011 08:51

I'm going to try and enter this one. Something has popped into my head.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/27/2011 08:14

The expedition should be from Earth.

SpaceSalmon (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/27/2011 07:41

Would star wars count? Because in the star wars opening it says a long time ago in a galaxy far away...

TrojanMonkey (Level 1 Private) @ 7/26/2011 10:24

Hah.
*Adjusts monocle*
*sips tea*

Indeed.

I think I'll just do a "Jews in space" (History of the World), if that won't go well a 300 inspired spaceship built from war shields and spears.

And you're right, this isn't difficult. I'm just stalling for no appearant reason; good luck to everyone.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/26/2011 08:47

I think you're missing the spirit of the challenge. It isn't 'silly space exploration'. A fried chicken bucket is from our time period (and isn't that funny, just a tired joke that's kind of offensive). Nazis and dinos have no time period (collectively).

Choose a time period before the 1960's. Show the space-exploration efforts of cultures or individuals from within said time period.

this isn't rocket science

ellie-is (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 7/26/2011 08:33

Racism is fine as long as it's funny

I mean, if its clear that its a joke and not real racism.

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/26/2011 08:02

According to someone who answered in the thread, yes, planetary and moon exploration is valid.

Don't know about others, but I ain't bothered if I know it's not meant to be taken seriously. ^_^

TrojanMonkey (Level 1 Private) @ 7/26/2011 03:23

The point of Nazi Dinos is to add humor to the submission, it doesn't necessarily make any sense or have any importance.

For once, I thought of a joke-submission to be a fried-chicken spaceship aboard by an african-american. (Huzzah for political-correctness)

Which reminds me, how do you falks take to racism or other offensive visual anecdotes?

P.P.S: Does anyone know if we officially CAN draw an actual planetary landing / exploration?

The wiki says we can, but I don't want to focus on something only to have it forbidden.

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/26/2011 01:45

They totally overlapped; who taught you history?

Why is the first thing I notice in that picture the word "rub"?

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/26/2011 01:32

Tyrannosaurus Reich

e: but that's Cretaceous, so nvm.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 7/26/2011 01:08

I think the point is to show another civilization's anachronistic space technology, not combine dinosaurs and nazis or whatever else from separate time periods. unless the third reich and the triassic overlapped and I'm just not aware.

Xamllew (Level 3 Chief) @ 7/25/2011 17:13

Oh god, this one sounds fun.

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/25/2011 15:38

I support this.

CELS (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 7/25/2011 13:24

Then I'll do nazi dinosaurs carrying pirates. And they'll fight zombies. Space zombies. With frickin laser beams.

xxmantisxx (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 7/25/2011 12:01

@TrojanMonkey

Judging by the fact that i suck, i would guess you're going to defeat me votes wise.

TrojanMonkey (Level 1 Private) @ 7/25/2011 08:24

@xxmantisxx You sir will have have a comptetition. As I will not only do mine with Dinos, but aswell with Nazis. (You all knew someone would do it).

After Tarius took my Lost Vikings reference, this is the second best thing.

xxmantisxx (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 7/25/2011 08:18

Someone's gotta do dinosaurs, i guess it might as well be me.

diver (Level 2 Corporal) @ 7/25/2011 05:17

got some idea too :)

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 7/25/2011 03:16

Vikings in space. That's what I'll be making. Yeah.

And the name of their vessel is, of course, the Starr Knarr :)

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/25/2011 00:32

Looks like I'll be revisiting my notes from art history...

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 7/25/2011 00:07

" In 1324, as Polo lay on his deathbed, a priest beseeched him to retract his "fables." His reply: "I have not told half of what I saw.""

Marco Polo... IN SPACE. o_o

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 7/25/2011 00:06

Holy effing <inappropriate religious figure> marmot on a stick! A totally unrestricted challenge O_O

Anonny runs icon/pixelartAlys Portrait icon/pixelartCrying Deer icon/pixelart99FFFFin & Tonic icon/pixelart