Pixel Art Challenge: Zarblay Xemplok

Create an image of a character called "Zarblay Xemplok", a native of the planet Spectrus. You must pixel this character using only the ZX spectrum palette. Here is all the known information about your character - Zarblay has:

• A large nose.
  • Two tentacles.
  • Three eyes.

You may present the character in any way you want, from a facial portrait to a full body image. But whatever you choose, Zarblay must be the main focus of the piece. Your piece must also show all three physical characteristics listed above.

Optional Bonus Challenge: Use real ZX spectrum restrictions. Have a look at this guide, created by Ptoing.

Canvas Size - Max 256 (width) x 192 (height).
Colours - Max 15; Use only colours from the ZX spectrum palette:

the image

Transparency - No.
Animation - No.

Posted by skamocore @ 5/16/2011 00:01  |    13

TropicalSnowcone (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/19/2011 04:26

Greetings! I was not sure where to post this question but as it pertains to the Weekly Challenge I came here. I submitted my entry for the challenge about 30 hours ago and it is still awaiting approval. Usually it doesnt take this long, and in the past my entries have been accidently overlooked. Is this the case? If so could you look into it. And if you are just overloaded with great pixel pieces, then disreguard this post. Thank you for your time and this great site.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/17/2011 09:34

Zarblay has two tentacles. Not 1, 8, 11, or 1000 tentacles. 2 tentacles. It would have to be a pretty ambiguous implication.

Desterrado (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/17/2011 08:09

@Skamocore Seeing as we're only allowed to show two tentacles, one nose and three eyes, are we allowed to imply the existance of more?

Planning to actually do this challenge. Will be fun.

*EDIT* Shouldn't have posted unless I actually finished it.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/16/2011 15:20

Just two tentacles.
(And one nose.
And Three eyes.)

Lynxiie (Level 1 Depressed) @ 5/16/2011 13:11

I'm thinking of doing it but i haven't done a weekly challenge before, so do you have to do 2 tentacles or can you do, say 6? jw  I'm a newbie!

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 5/16/2011 13:03

Now I do too =P

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/16/2011 12:12

"Zarblay Xemplok"  "planet Spectrus"..... "ZX spectrum"..... Oh wait, I get it!

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/16/2011 08:54

I don't mean this challenge is elementary level or anything like that; it was just the part where we had to draw something with x number of arms, y number of eyes, and stuff that was something we used to do in grade school.  Those were fun anyhow.  It's more the palette challenge and that I'll be dealing with finals, graduation, house cleaning, and visiting family. <3

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 5/16/2011 02:59

I assume I'm doing it right for the optional part if I pair up the block colors like this-

0/0/0 + 0/0/190
190/0/190 + 190/0/0
255/255/0 + 255/255/255

Those are the 6 colors I'm planning to actually use at this point.

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 5/16/2011 02:52

Amazing, I like these oldschool-type challenges :)

I'll go for tiles, as I am too lazy to manually check every 8x8 block for errors :P

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/16/2011 01:40

The challenge of this challenge is to challenge yourself to find a way not to do that kind of things they had you do in elementary school. Or better yet, to do that kind of things and still be original!

Also, yay palette challenges!

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 5/16/2011 00:51

So we don't have to use all of the colors? That's really good, because I'm having a hard time even looking at those awful greens... or any of the rest... x_x

They're not that bad heavily dithered though.

Chibiwing (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/16/2011 00:04

This reminds me of the things they had us do in elementary school.  Hafta say I'm out this week. ^_^

Denolian avatar icon/pixelartSummertime Fluff icon/pixelartSamurai Girl icon/pixelartRandom Gal 6 icon/pixelart