Pixel Art Challenge: Sunset Sans Saturation

Create an image depicting a sunset - in greyscale. This means you must not use any saturation in your image. A good way to work this out is by looking at the hexcodes - they should all be in this format:

#XYXYXY.

So #a3a3a3 would be acceptable for this challenge, as would #525252 or #000000.

Canvas Size - Max 200 x 200.
Colours - Min 8; Max 16.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 4/11/2011 00:01  |    18

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 4/15/2011 10:38

You are correct, in the Weekly challenge preview, it would definitely look out of place. Grayscale it is!

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/15/2011 08:55

Well, you won't be disqualified for having a colour preview, but it would be nice if you stuck to greyscale though.

Many people have deviated from the restrictions in preview images before. However, just keep in mind that when all entries are displayed together, yours will stand out as being the non-black-and-white one. Personally, I think it's always nice to see challenge entries all looking the part, in this case, all being greyscale.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/15/2011 07:26

well, technically I don't think it does (basing this on the fact that there have been previews that exceeded the maximum size for small-canvas challenges), but I'd discourage it (and we'll give ska the final veto on this). It would be preferable to link to the image in the desciption, or even post the image in the description (Jinn has posted images in the description in the past).

Mrmo Tarius (Level 10 Master Sniper) @ 4/15/2011 01:00

Here's a smartass question- does the preview image have to be in grayscale, too? :)

I would LOVE to do some hue-shifting on the piece I want to submit, so I thought maybe doing it in preview :P

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/12/2011 16:56

already did last year. and they weren't even challenges, but events to motivate the people to participate in a community driven mash-up. but it seems nobody caught the real idea behind those two(i think no one did, i left after that happened): anyone can start an "event" or "activity" on the site as long as they plan it and put creativity on their side, using whatever resources you want (considering we have plenty). the whole thing behind the avatars was that.

it makes me wonder if i should go and try once more.
PS: not "fads". fads are spontaneous.

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/12/2011 08:34

we've had plenty of object/character/portrait challenges recently. you're welcome to submit superior ideas anytime you please.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/11/2011 20:15

scenary challenge #3236457236547652751

W M (Level 1 Thug) @ 4/11/2011 13:57

Well, the idea is for you to have to work outside your comfort zone, hence it being called a 'challenge'. ;)

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 4/11/2011 09:50

At first I thought this might be a weak challenge idea, but then google showed me I was wrong.

Xamllew (Level 3 Chief) @ 4/11/2011 09:23

Can't wait to see what some people come up with without their precious colors.

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 4/11/2011 08:39

Does the sun have to actually be in the image, or could it be the effects of the sun such as the long dark shadows kaiseto mentioned?

a3um (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 4/11/2011 07:30

Can it be artificial Sun?

Kaiseto (Level 6 Made) @ 4/11/2011 07:15

Well, here's a question to ask. Aside from the colors what exactly IS interesting about a sunset? The only thing I could think to do would be focus on the lighting of the surrounding scenery (long, deep shadows, etc), with very little focus on the sun itself.

SpaceSalmon (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/11/2011 07:14

A grey sunset? I like color and how colorfully dynamic a sunset can be. Among the last things I would want to do in a greyscale :(

Juniorps (Level 5 Soldier) @ 4/11/2011 06:06

Legal, se achar um tempo participo.

Clovvach (Level 3 Enforcer) @ 4/11/2011 05:39

No, the challenge is not CHOOSING the colors, it's working with them.

People look at the sunsets and say "hmm... I like the colors" but we never pay much attention to the form, so this wil be a hard one.

That I'm probably joining of course!

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 4/11/2011 00:23

I wouldn't exactly consider that to be a good solution.

Justincrdibl (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 4/11/2011 00:20

Hmm interesting... Might get around to doing this

(Of course the 'cheat' would be to do it all in color then switch the palette over to greyscale)

Ramen Time icon/pixelartSkillTree icon/pixelartFrost Rose icon/pixelartAndromeda icon/pixelart