Pixel Art Challenge: Think Pink

Pixel anything in one of the templates below. The only other requirement is the use of #ff66cc (pink).

Canvas Size - Use one of the templates below (the templates may be rotated):

Colours - Max 32. Must include this shade of pink - #ff66cc.
Transparency - Required. However, the transparency must only be used outside of the heart.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by jeremy @ 2/14/2011 00:02  |    27

Jetrel (Level 1 Intern) @ 2/24/2011 03:55

Right, that's absolutely a small, but real issue.  One those rare occasions when I need to color match, I either use the eyedropper (even set to lab, photoshop internally stores a sampled color value in RGB), or just .. switch over to rgb since it's just a menu item away.

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 2/21/2011 03:35

Those are all the reasons why I've been trying out Lab lately. The ONE thing I really have against it isn't even that big of a deal in most cases. It's that the L channel only has values of 0-100. Basically that means for every increase of 1 in L the same grey in RGB just increased 2-3 times. Of course in pixel art you never really need a greyscale so smooth you can't tell individual shades from each other, but it also means there's colors in RGB that just don't exist in Lab. Overall not a big deal, unless you're color matching something from RGB and have to have the exact same color- like here in this challenge.

Let's use the color of pink here for example, and I'll just be reducing the green.
#ff66cc = R255, G102, B204 = L66, a67, b-23
#ff65cc = R255, G101, B204 = L66, a67, b-23
#ff64cc = R255, G100, B204 = L66, a67, b-23
Green keeps going down, but the Lab values aren't moving. If I went down 1 further they would, but right there are a few colors that don't exist in Lab. Fortunately in this case everything works out fine, but if the required color had been either the second or third one then someone working in Lab would have overshot it by 1 or 2 points in green.

Otherwise I've been enjoying Lab and will probably use it most of the time, because it's very natural and very similar to the way actual paint works in terms of neutralizing colors with their opposite.

Jetrel (Level 1 Intern) @ 2/21/2011 01:56

I use Lab color for everything, because it lets me change "color" without changing "brightness".  Why does this help?  Everything in a person's pixelart is built around color ramps/ladders, and is built around how distant the brightness of each "rung"/item of the color ramp is from the next ones.  If you just change the brightness of an element, it really messes with your shading;  change it too far and your shading/volume just falls apart (often requiring new shades, or redrawing huge sections of the piece).  You could try and keep your brightness constant "by hand" whilst picking a new color, but frankly I just find that really, really slow.

Lab/HSB lets me experiment really quickly with different choices in the color ramp, and try out all sorts of wacky ideas in a very short period of time, which is important because a PA piece usually has a bunch of colors to do that to, and I can't really explore the possibilities with a piece's palette unless I try maybe 10 different options.  It's the difference between spending hours poring over my palettes, or getting a really good result in ~10 minutes.  As you say - the end result is what matters;  I simply find this a tool to reach that end result in a tiny fraction of the time.

Also - to help dispel the "weirdness" about Lab, one axis is red<->green, the other is blue<->yellow.  You think about the color you want, and add more of that;  if you want more of a yellowish green, you put the first axis on green, and bend the other axis towards yellow;  for more of a teal, you bend the other axis towards blue.  Red+blue gives purple, red+yellow gives orange;  it's all the normal color-mixing combinations.

I also find it nice because it's a good trainer on how color opposites work, and how you can't, say, make your green "more red" and still keep it saturated, because green "cancels out" red.

t3nshi (Level 5 Soldier) @ 2/19/2011 11:54

I know the feeling: It takes me a lot of time to pick good colors without the Photoshop color picking square. That was my worst obstacle when trying to learn Graphics Gale :O

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 2/18/2011 00:33

In pretty much all art the results are always more important than what you did to get them, because that's what people will see. So long as you get the colors you want it doesn't really matter how you got there. Some methods, like Lab (which I'm using right now on a cloud picture), just make it easier to make certain adjustments with precision.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/17/2011 21:46

Just checked out Lab, it looks damn weird. It might be interesting to fool around with out. I don't know if I could get used to it though, or if it would improve my art at all. I'm just used to thinking of colors in that square.

I usually know what color I'm looking for, so I don't see why it matter how you get to it.

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 2/16/2011 09:51

Photoshop doesn't have a mode that's strictly HSB. You're still working in RGB, in terms of what colors are possible to be on the canvas, It's just a question of what colors you're able to choose with the color sliders and how you get to those colors. So I use the HSB sliders in my color palette while working on an RGB ducument.

I -think- that the color picker is showing HSB in that big square of color that you click which part of that you want. It does display the equivalent values in HSB, RGB, CMYK, and lab. I had actually forgotten that the color picker existed since I never use it. Now that I look at it again I think I'll try using it. It's basically HSB except that instead of a slider for S or B/V it has that big square. The top of the square is highest value, the right side is highest saturation. You can see the problem of HSB right there though. Value should be independant of saturation, but even if you leave value at 100 when you increase saturation the preceived lightness of the color changes and gets darker as the color gets more intense. Really a value of 100 should be pure white regardless of saturation. In HSB you only get pure white when saturation is at 0.

I think a big part of why I don't use RGB sliders is because to get to any color you have to adjust pretty much all three sliders, so it's harder for me to conceptualize just where it is I'm going in the color space.

Lab color sliders look interesting, and are suppose to be based on human preception, but I've only just played with it a little bit in the past couple of weeks.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/16/2011 09:34

But why does either even matter? I never even look at the numbers, just use a color picker (photoshops), I assume that it's hsb? Though it shows both values on the side. I like hsb sliders too.

I can't imagine trying to find colors using rgb, to make it dark you have to slide all 3? Seems weird to me.

tanuki (Level 1 Seaman) @ 2/16/2011 00:59

HSB has 3,682,561 possible colors while RGB (24bit) has 16,777,216.

That said, I use HSB because it's (in theory) a more natural way of thinking of color in terms of art and making adjustments to the colors, rather than something abstract like recombining light waves. Even if it's 13 million fewer possible colors, HSB has plenty of options for me. The biggest downside I can think of is that in HSB you have 101 shades of grey, including black and white, and in RGB you have 256 shades. There's actually some other big disadvantages too, but I guess I'm used to them. The more I've been reading about different color spaces in the past couple of weeks though the more I realize the reasons for some of the odd quirkes about it that I had gotten used to over the years, like how changing hue in HSB will also change the preceived value even if the value setting is the same.

By the way, CMYK has 104,060,401 possible colors. edit- I checked and PNG can't be CMYK.

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/15/2011 22:33

why does it matter how you select your colors?

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 2/14/2011 20:49

HSB is to RGB what JPG is to PNG ;)

Analyze in HSL, adjust in RGB. Although if your colormodel has perceptual brightness-correction you might be ok. :D

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/14/2011 18:50

Hex colors are no different than RGB, its just a hex representation of the numbers.

HSB is the way to go, though RGB has its uses at times.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 2/14/2011 17:28

I never really understood hex values. I'm a pure RGB type.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 2/14/2011 13:47

if you're as challenged as i am and need a tool for hex, RGB value is 255, 102, 204.

Mima Larez (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/14/2011 09:13

I´m Done waiting for approval :)

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/14/2011 08:47

3rd is best duh

FelipeFS (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 2/14/2011 07:10

The heart color is ff66cb, not ff66cc.
The heart must be any color, but it is required the color pink(ff66cc) in the piece, that is it?

manxana (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 2/14/2011 06:16

haha sweet challenge!

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 2/14/2011 06:05

lulz

Interesting, I may enter, but probably not due to time. Kind of weird having it START on valntines day though

tripnfelt (Level 5 Rokkyu) @ 2/14/2011 03:58

I love these kinda pixel anything in a canvas challenges and I love pink as a colour to use in art.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/14/2011 01:28

template 2 is the best template

Mima Larez (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/14/2011 01:25

ok Thanks :-)

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 2/14/2011 01:22

Yes, you can make more than one entry :)

Mima Larez (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/14/2011 01:06

Ok mhm and I  can do more than one Pixel Art during the competition?

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 2/14/2011 00:31

Nope.

Mima Larez (Level 1 Rookie) @ 2/14/2011 00:21

can be a bit outside the template as decoration, etc. ....?

FelipeFS (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 2/14/2011 00:12

Sweeeeet... LET THE CARNAGE BEGIN!

It's a me, Victor Sena! icon/pixelartKirby icon/pixelartFraktur font "ARYAN" icon/pixelartBanished Alchemist icon/pixelart