The Last Flight of the Bumblebee

Last weekend Ivan Dixon (aka iSTVAN) competed in the Global Game Jam 2011,  a 48 hour game making competion themed "extinction." Ivan and programmer Conor O'kane produced an insect themed shoot 'em up called "The Last Flight of the Bumblebee" full of pixel arty goodness.

You can download it for PC and Mac here and watch the Youtube trailer here.

The game won "Best Graphics" and "Participants Favourite" at the Melbourne Game Jam.

Posted by iSTVAN @ 2/1/2011 23:23  |    10

Souly (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/11/2011 08:59

I love the GGJ and it's ability to bring all of us together to create awesome proto-types or full length games.

It's great to see that more of us are getting access to programmers, or the indie scene in general.

Juniorps (Level 5 Soldier) @ 2/4/2011 08:03

Congratulations

iSTVAN (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/2/2011 16:32

Ptoing: Thanks for the indepth feedback. I agree with everything you've state and will pass on the crits to the Conor programmer. The music was also made by Conor within the 48 hours! We've discussed the possibility of developing the game further and maybe making a release for the iPhone. It's something I'm very interested in pursuing.

Stickman: EdJr hit the nail on the head. Conor had made several shoot 'em ups prior to this game, so he sort of knew what was involved in the process.

EdJr: I had the same problem with the game screen on my computer. You can launch the game into full screen by pressing ALT+ENTER. It will stretch the graphics, but it's more playable than missing half the screen.

If anyone is curious I used the EGA colour palette as a base and added a few more colours on top, mainly because the EGA has fugly greens that wouldn't allow for the depth needed to keep the foreground and background from getting mushy.

Thanks everyone else!

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 2/2/2011 08:05

Stickman, the game description indicates Torque Game Builder.

Well, my crits are the same of ptoing's. And the game screen is bigger than my 1024x768 CRT monitor. D:

I love the game though (and hate that dragonfly! ). Congrats again!

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 2/2/2011 04:09

That's amazing! What was used to program this in only 48 hours? Was it some sort of shoot em up construction kit, or a game maker program?

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 2/2/2011 03:32

Congratulations, I'll play it soon and tell you my opinion! =)

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 2/2/2011 01:17

Also forgot to say, the music is pretty cool.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/2/2011 00:36

Creative idea, I'd like to see this taken farther :)

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 2/2/2011 00:17

This is pretty cool but nothing more than a rough draft. It should really be made into a full game, ideally with a bunch of levels that are not random, proper bosses, chance to get extra lives, perhaps a slightly cooler scoring system. Honey bombs could be a multiplier, so it would be an incentive not to bomb.

Also the Honey bombs need to be clearer marked. At first I found it a bit confusing as to how many I have. I think something like having a small counter at the top that counts how many bits you need for a full bomb and then how many you have underneath would be better than what there is atm.

And the hitbox on the bee has to be a bit smaller.

ZeroSum (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/1/2011 23:39

Congratulations on the game. I'll give it a play tomorrow, It looks interesting.

Portraits N3 icon/pixelartPet 03a - Lion Baby icon/pixelartFraktur font "ARYAN" icon/pixelartfurther dota heroes icon/pixelart