Pixel Art Challenge: The Great Two-Framer

All we want this week is for you to show us what you can make with two frames of animation - nothing more, nothing less.

Canvas Size - Max 256 x 256.
Colours - Max 16.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - Required. Exactly 2 frames.

Posted by skamocore @ 7/12/2010 00:01  |    19

Argyle (Level 6 Manager) @ 7/18/2010 21:26

While I do agree that 3 frames opens up SO many more possibilities for animation, I don't think that it's impossible to make an animation with 2 frames that isn't just a glorified strobe.  I see a few entries already that break the walls of looking like a simple two frame animation.

SpaceSalmon (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/15/2010 12:21

You can't make a good fluid animation with 2 frames. Either it's  animation moving object showing two opposites, two different images or cheap color change. With 3 frames you can do a ton more stuff like real animations.

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/15/2010 10:53

Agree with ptoing, flicking is more like a complicated filter than a 'proper' animation.  Subtle, nifty, but I would generally say that it's animating the image itself, not the objects/scenes contained.

Nonetheless, I'll give a Rare Candy for the first person to do a good *thundershock*.

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 7/14/2010 05:12

Flickering is not really animation as such one could argue. Also those NES "animations" are poo and were done because they did not have much space for anything. The goomba SMB is just 1 frame which gets flipped on X to "animate". Clever for back then, now I really do not see any clever way to do 2 frame stuff. Seriously. Sorry.

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/13/2010 16:20

Helm's works come to mind. Subtle flickering, yet has a huge effect on the piece. I guess it depends on what you imagine when you think "animation." I'm sure many peoples minds automatically jump to sprites or large scenic animations(like Fool's work). However, I think most of this will boil down to some sort of subtle or "primitive" animation(like the aformentioned NES).

Stitchy (Level 6 SWAT) @ 7/12/2010 21:24

I want to do this one, just because I suck at animation! 8D

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/12/2010 19:39

I have so many good ideas now, working on it, I hope I can finish, and finish it beautiful....

Good luck for everybody!

eliotfellow (Level 7 Assassin) @ 7/12/2010 11:21

Despite some of the bitching, I think this is going to be an awesome challenge. Limitations like this are always challenging (isn't that the point?) and will likely yield some really varied results. I'm excited.

EdJr (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/12/2010 10:38

Really, only 2 frames makes you think. So much.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 7/12/2010 08:18

<-------------Stop your whinging people, my avi is just 2 frames. Sure it looks like crap, but that's beside the point.

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 7/12/2010 07:38

ptoing I googles NES animations (just cause I knew they didn't have more then 2 frames per animation) and got this as a result. http://www.nintendocity.com/pictures/nes_animations.shtml

Just a few examples for you.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 7/12/2010 06:19

I guess this challenge calls for some ZX Flickeryness

Or real subtle stuff.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/12/2010 05:34

Sure.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 7/12/2010 05:30

I take it that this can be any speed?

a3um (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 7/12/2010 05:02

I can only think about "before - after" , "if - else" kind of thing.

ptoing (Level 7 Underboss) @ 7/12/2010 04:37

Sorry, but 2 frames is complete rubbish. To show any kind of convincing movement (like a rotation or whatever really) you need at least 3 frames. There is not a whole lot one can do with 2 frames, but I guess I will wait and see if anyone can surprise me here.

x-death (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 7/12/2010 04:17

oh man, you've gotten me thinking now...

Sasuke-ish (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/12/2010 00:15

Oh man this might be fun.

slym (Level 8 Rear Admiral) @ 7/12/2010 00:03

:D YES! I waited and counted down for this challenge!

EME icon/pixelartBlue Vanilla Ice Cream icon/pixelartfrogg icon/pixelartAvatar V2 icon/pixelart