Pixel Art Challenge: Fantasy Football

Big Brother wants you to support your team in the 2010 FIFA World Cup by entering this challenge!

Pixel a fantasy character or creature based on the uniform design and/or colors of your favorite country's team. For example, Spain could be a minotaur wearing red armor.

Use the template shown below and draw your character on the stand. Replace the "X" at the base of the stand with the team flag. Feel free to change the colors or edit the stand itself, just make sure the flag symbol is visible.

Canvas Size - Use this template:

Colors - Max 32. This includes the 14 already in the template.
Transparency - No.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by skamocore @ 6/21/2010   |    26

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 6/24/2010 14:04

I'm English but I'm rooting for the USA. Who can support the Dirty Dozen, the England team, with John Terry as the figurehead (even if he's not captain anymore). Everybody loves an underdog story! Good luck with the pixelling, folks.

Argyle (Level 6 Manager) @ 6/24/2010 07:21

I've never really kept up on sports, moreso with football (soccer), but man after learning about that annoying raucus the vuvuzelas make, I find it really hilarious that YouTube has a soccer ball button on the play bar of videos on there that, when pushed, loops the sound of those swarming horns over whatever you're watching hahaha.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 6/23/2010 16:29

No need to be sorry.  I just take extra notice when a mod comments on one of my pieces (good or bad).

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 6/23/2010 16:13

nod, thanks for being so understanding, and sorry if I seemed snippy. I was trying to be funny and I think I just came off as a snarky asshole.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 6/23/2010 16:06

I just don't want to cause any controversy over one of my pieces by me misinterpreting the rules.  The challenges are cool, but it's not a big deal if it's in or not if I made a mistake.  And I don't have a problem with James McCarter's piece being in the challenge at all.  In fact I actually quite like it.  I was just looking for a clarification of the rules in regards to my piece.

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 6/23/2010 15:27

We're discussing some of the entries submitted and accepted so far.

As for the parts of characters, I'm guessing you're referring to James McCarter's piece. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable. No, you can't pixel a dwarf's finger hovering in mid-air and say "BUT JAMES MCCARTER DID IT!" when it gets rejected. Entries are taken on a case-by-case basis. Use your judgment.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 6/23/2010 13:42

Ok.  I'm confused about what is and isn't allowed in this challenge.  Maybe I interpreted the rules wrong.  Is it a fantasy - (character or creature) or a (fantasy character) or (creature).  My piece was questioned: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/53790.htm   It was accepted though.

And how strict are the rules as I'm seeing just parts of character entered.  So it doesn't even have to be a whole being?

Grug (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/23/2010 05:37

Arrgl F… no time this week. :(

As a french I had a lot of idea to celebrate my national team.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 6/22/2010 15:35

My entry:
Don't really care for lions, but this was fun to do!

big brother (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/22/2010 08:07

@Adarias: Feel free to illustrate your hatred!

Quake (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/22/2010 04:56

I'm from England and even i can say we've done shocking.

Seems like all the money we spend on football does nothing for us. I'm going to watch the England game tomorrow and i'll be rooting for the opposition, much to the dismay of my friends :P

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/22/2010 03:00

A blue loo would be appropriate for me I think. Not that I care.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 6/21/2010 20:23

Technically it's England not the UK, just incase any scottish, welsh or northern irish people out there get annoyed at being lumped together with SUCH A LACKLUSTER TEAM RIGHT NOW. :P

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 6/21/2010 16:37

Dude we didn't just make it, we have a pretty good shot at advancing in our group.

Suck it, UK!  0-0 against Algeria? What was that?  US-UK draw may have been a gift, but that second match is crap on a stick right there!

(I really hope there's plenty of friendly trash-talking since this is world cup and all...)

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 6/21/2010 16:19

That's great they qualified.  You just don't hear all that much about it here.  It will always be baseball..and I don't even like baseball.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/21/2010 15:58

The USA did qualify guys

Adarias (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 6/21/2010 14:42

Inspiration

It's more along the lines of rugby but still loads of fun.

Can we caricature teams that we hate or is that unsportsmanlike? (perfectly happy to glorify as well)

Edit : Hadn't seen vert's post.  We think alike :).

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 6/21/2010 13:54

Modify the base?  The base is cool though and should be part of the challenge.  I guess keeping at 64x64 is what I was surprised at.  Seems like the base should support a taller character.  I guess the placement of every pixel is that much more important.  I like the challenge too except for what Redshrike said...as I'm from the US too.

And I hear there's some sort of controversy with those horns that sound like angry bees.

big brother (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/21/2010 13:34

@Vertigo-Zero: With each artist's consent, yes.

@dpixel: Definitely draw your character over the base and the background. If you want, you can modify the base so it takes up less room, as long as the total image size stays at 64x64.

@Quake: You can draw any creature you want, just keep it fantasy themed. The team jerseys are a good place to get inspiration for the colors and designs.

@Redshrike: But USA has a team, too!

@Reo: If your heart it set on Sweden, go for it.

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 6/21/2010 12:42

...waaait, sweden didn't qualify this year, I guess I can't do them?

right?

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 6/21/2010 10:35

Hey, I live in the US!  This is, like, rest-of-the-world-centric!

Seriously, though, this looks like fun.

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 6/21/2010 06:31

Kudos BigBrother Greaat challenge! I'll try to get someting in by thursday, before I leave for vacation!

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 6/21/2010 05:56

This is a pretty small canvas at 64x64.  And the base takes up a lot of that.  I'm I missing something or is this just part of the challenge?

PanicBomber (Level 6 Manager) @ 6/21/2010 05:00

Lol ive got the perfect idea! :D Gogo Azzurri!!

Quake (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/21/2010 04:35

Is a lion allowed?

If not, am i allowed to say it's the Nemean Lion? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemean_lion

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 6/21/2010 02:50

Can I make a warhammer blood bowl-like game from the entered pieces? :D XD

doop icon/pixelartOne last Smoke. icon/pixelartPet 03a - Lion Baby icon/pixelartIt's a me, Victor Sena! icon/pixelart