Pixel Joint v2.5 (UPDATE 6/1)

Here is the first incremental update pushing towards v3. Please make sure to flush your browser cache since just there are several JS/CSS file changes for this update.

6/1 updates...

• XHTML DTD update needed for FB dev (might cause some visual issues)
  • jQuery rotate hover fix
  • Started moving icons into CSS
  • Updated the challenge icons with icons created by Manjaman
  • Added "donor" section to About Us

Here are a few of the highlights...

• Moved Google Search into header from the footer
  • Added a jQuery pixel art content rotator on home page
  • Consolidated all pixelart handling into one function for quicker updates in the future
  • Cleaned up some useless/redundant menu items
  • Cleaned up CSS
  • Significantly improved gallery browsing performance by removing ratings (sorry power-raters)
  • Fixed a number of exploits relating to Favorites, Ratings, Buddy, Avatar, Theme selection/removal
  • Moved common site elements into cache for quicker retrieval
  • Updated CSS for all themes to match new layout
  • Added Firm Grip theme made by Hatch
  • Integrated several design elements contributed by pixelblink and other mods
  • Added [thUg]'s awesome rank icons based on the icons Ensellitis first made
  • Added dumbo's perfect smiley set (61!) based on iSTVAN's PJ mascot
  • Started a YouTube channel to keep track of pixel art related vids
  • Created a Facebook app and page for future integration (if we go in that direction)
  • Creating a user account through the forum is no longer possible which should kill the possibility of dupe accounts
  • Added share functionality to pixel art and news
  • Fixed www.pixeljoint.com and pixeljoint.com conflicting session/cookie issues
  • Cleaned up pixel art detail view
  • Added tooltip for gallery view
  • Updated tabs to use jQuery Tools with AJAX calls
  • Added header wrapper to forum
  • Replaced US-focused robot sniffer on contact form with the great reCAPTCHA

And once again... updates will be trickling in over the course of the next several months so please be patient if we missed an enhancement or bug fix. Thanks!

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 5/29/2010 23:58  |    185

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/19/2010 14:53

In the Monthly top page, looks like there no longer is a link to the previous / next months.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/13/2010 19:18

Just tried it out for myself. Ditto, all forum related options and settings instantly take me to the PJ mainpage.

JWM (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/13/2010 17:59

I also noticed that it's impossible to edit your profile information on the forum. I went to the Member Control Panel Menu, clicked on Edit Profile, Profile Information, and Forum Preferences and they all link me back to the Pixel Joint homepage. All I want to do is update my signature. Oh well. /:

Or did the profile idea get removed from the forum, because either way, it just links me back to the Pixel Joint homepage.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/13/2010 16:52

I noticed someone else with that 'user' link in their profile.

x-death (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 6/10/2010 22:19

hey, i know this is old issue but you guys fixed it at one point now its happening again.

when your voting for things to get in gallery you used to be able to say yes or no. and when you refresh the page it would allow you to vote again. come version 2.5 you guys fixed that, but now its showing up again. i've tried clearing cookies and all that stuff but it'd still happening.

i thought i'd bring this to your attention.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 6/6/2010 17:14

Guess it has something to do with the escape-en/decoding of the swedish characters in the filenames.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/6/2010 12:42

Just tried it out. Nope, still blurry. (Tried it out on dumbo's emotes, animated gifs.)

As for Slemvamp's problem, it's a PJ thing. His thumbnails all show up as 'user' links to his profile. Bizarnage.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 6/6/2010 10:19

@slemsvamp - are you sure that's a PJ issue? Have you tried re-uploading the preview images?

@Green - those blurry images in the forum are because they are saved with a .jpg file extension (not necessarily an actual jpg file, but just one that has the extension .jpg). Images with a .png or .gif extension should be fine in terms of zooming.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/6/2010 10:06

Image blurring is still an issue on the forums. No blur on the site though, so I suppose that's all that really matters.

Slemsvamp (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 6/6/2010 06:17

Some of my preview images are broken

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 6/6/2010 01:37

The first piece in my gallery is sent back and I use that as an avatar that I don't want to upload separately. And there is no edit it link on that piece. I had to copy the editing link from the other pieces and replace the ID, but new users might not know how to do that.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/5/2010 18:38

Peeter, what does that mean? You have nothing sent back. Do you mean 'updating' a piece using the 'edit it' link?

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 6/5/2010 13:04

Edit button has disappeared from pieces that need revision. Is this normal?

x-death (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 6/5/2010 04:46

Perciav@l deffinatily deserves that award. he gave some good ideas, some have given such good ideas already but the fact that he/she went as far as doing the graphics as well, which was amazing.

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 6/4/2010 19:17

Try ctrl+F5 ing. Might be a cache issue or something. I'm fairly sure that doing it (replacing with same name) has worked for me before

Hey, we can zoom previews too now! Niiiice

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 6/4/2010 18:00

I don't know if this is a new one, but if you try to change your thumbnail image to a new one with the same name, it doesn't replace it.  Not really much of an issue, but I just noticed it.

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 6/4/2010 13:15

Sorry, but the rotation gallery really bugs me. I open up an image to look at and go back to open another that I saw and suddenly it's rotated to something different. Please don't try to automate my browsing for me :P

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/4/2010 00:36

@Perciav@l:

I won't be able to get to all these great ideas immediately, but I'll certainly bank them. I'm going to try and tackle the silly bugs that have been lingering for years now (like the page number) first.

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 6/3/2010 12:07

@ Perciv@l:  brilliantly put; I agree totally, especially #3.

Ninja Crow (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 6/3/2010 11:38
I agree with everything Perciv@l said.

Also, I had no idea his theme was so sweet.

It looks like this on my computer/browser, even with cache-killing. (you can also see that the boxes for the buttons on the rotator look kinda funny.)

Any ideas why?

(p.s., is anyone else seeing my image as a bloated close-up? TinyPic never did that before...)

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 6/3/2010 04:18

Sedge, maybe add the rating dots in the black detail box while in gallery mode? That way the gallery still looks clean and we can power-rate again :D

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 6/2/2010 23:27

@percivl - I'm not sure if/when those thing are going to be addressed, but those are some outstandingly insightful suggestions. It's the kind of detailed, well thought out and clear feedback I'd like to see more of around here. And all with illustrations too!

So, thank you for taking the time to write that (and create the images too); I'm gonna hand you a hand shake award for your effort.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/2/2010 22:54

Oooooooold bug, everyone's known about that one for ages now. Shows up especially in when swapping between the gallery and queue.

Animmaniac (Level 4 Murderer) @ 6/2/2010 22:28

some suggestions:

1. Gallery-rotator

- instead of the mouse-over pause solution that I think solves the problem partially and will still be annoying, I suggest adding a pause/play button to toggle the cycle on and off. Floating the navigation to the left and setting it as a kind of tab helps it become more visible and intuitive. Also, the selected white tab should have a dark border to prevent it from disappearing in light backgrounds. This logic should be applied to all the ellements that don't change over different themes (black background white border and vice-versa).

www.prr-art.com/things/pj_01.png

Most of the themes that had a colored box on the header in PJ 2.0 don't display it anymore. I think this must be easy to fix.

2. Rating

- as already pointed the rating squares need to be bigger and more spaced. The way it is takes too much time and cognitive load from the user to perceive how many squares there are, or how many are checked. Also, differentiating them by size helps disambiguate what is checked from what is not. Since this doesn't change through themes the same black vs white logic mentioned above should be applied here.

www.prr-art.com/things/pj_02.png

*the same black vs white logic should be applied to this menu:

www.prr-art.com/things/pj_03.png

3. Pop-up Info Box

- the new proposed solution for the gallerys with a pop-up instead of fixed info like in PJ 2.0, clearly tries to induce exploration by focusing on showing more thumbs and less information. Although, as reported by several users, those informations are viewed frequently while navigating through gallerys. This way, the process of moving the mouse on every piece and waiting for the information to show, is very time consuming and annoying to the user, and tends to generate the opposite intended effect. In this sense, the PJ 2.0 solution of presenting the info all the time on screen seems to be more time efficient to navigate and explore. Also the pop-up system generate some clipping problems that turn some of the information inaccessible, as shown in the image below. This is considered a very serious problem in interface design.

www.prr-art.com/things/pj_04.png

The quickly rating feature of PJ 2.0 that has been supressed, was also another time saver convenience for small size pieces, and worked as a way to guarantee not forget rating already seen pieces. The opportunity to compare the scoring between different pieces ensured fairer raitings as well.

With all this considerations PJ 2.0 system still seems the best solution so far.

4. Picture resize

- this is an old request but more than ever seems a good opportunity to implement it. When images are zoomed-in more than the width of the page or container, they get clipped. My suggestion is to enable a horizontal scrollbar on the b>*** Message truncated (4000 chars max) ***

cassiechihuahua (Level 1 Gangster) @ 6/2/2010 16:35

lookin good, no huge change I see but maybe I don't get around the site enough. Only thing I don't personally like is the pure black/white for drop-downs and hovering...doesn't fit well with layout IMO, but thats nothing to be at the top of a to-do list. Besides that, I'm not so into the horizontal-feeling layout, but thats also just a matter of taste I suppose.

Manupix (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/2/2010 14:11

Found another lil'bug, sorry if anyone already reported it.

S'pose I browse my gallery, page 2, then click my favs tab: I get to page 2 of favs. Reverse works too. Then If I'm on page 4 or more of my favs, and click the gallery tab, I get a 'no icons found' message (my gallery is 3 pages).

That's really no problem at all, but I suspect it's related to the comments > messages bug I reported in my previous message, which proves to be a bit annoying.

About the grey theme: it's harder than I thought one more pieces than I thought. The problem is not about my own viewing as I can change theme, but for visitors, pple I link my gallery to, etc who will only use the default.

Nevertheless, congrats for the hard work. I really enjoy the link to the relevant challenge in challenge entries, even old ones! (or was it there before and I didn't know???).

Ninja Crow (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 6/2/2010 12:44

@sedgemonkey: Nope, I mean the pop-up info box.

Also, I love how the front page gallery header fades between the categories - much easier on the eyes.

And Antiboton's suggestion of a Random category sounds great to me, too!

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/2/2010 08:38

Just click here, problem solved.

crozier (Level 6 Hitman) @ 6/2/2010 08:31

Can you not change your theme evilagram? Try scrolling over your name in the topright corner.

Nice work. I like Manjaman's icons and the ability to go the contest results page when on somebody's pixleart.

Evilagram (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 6/2/2010 05:19

Eh, not a fan of gray themes.

I prefered the old one, but ah well.

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 6/2/2010 02:16

I've found one more thing that bugs me... The buttons underneath the pixel rotator aren't affected by themes. I have an almost white theme, which makes me think the black buttons are selected and not the white one... Is there a way you can make the buttons follow the theme? Also, the random pixels button is a nice idea!

Keep it up, i'm loving it so far!

Can we see the ratings that our pieces have gotten?

Delicious (Level 9 Boss) @ 6/2/2010 00:10

I'm really enjoying this so far... Excellent job!

x-death (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 6/1/2010 23:33

i noticed you guys also added more info when you mouse over theres more details including fav's and comments to a peice. i'm liking some of the recent updates. nice work.

Antiboton (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/1/2010 20:42

Curiously when the transition of the galleries at the top ooccurs then are missplaced by one or two pixels an they return to its right position. That could be a small bug.

Suggestion: I think that could be nice to have a random gallery next to the others. To give a chance for the old pieces to be shown and appreciated by the users. Look at the example. Ahm, and another small suggestion related with those galleries: Better make the buttons of the same size, as u see in the picture next: http://i46.tinypic.com/2qds748.png

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 6/1/2010 17:49

sedge, how would you feel about removing the light grey stroke around the major headers? I like the new design a lot, I just feel like that would help to streamline it a bit and make it slightly less visually tiring.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/1/2010 17:37

I don't remember what piece it was, I just remember that I rated it before. Next time it happens I'll PM you the URL right away.

Badassbill (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 6/1/2010 17:35

That got it, silly me.

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/1/2010 17:20

@Badassbill: Try clearing your cache. Made some updates to the JS today.

@Ninja Crow: Do you mean the flash ad going over the top on the right side?

@grennraven: You can send me a PM with the specific art I can look into it.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/1/2010 17:03

The "random unrated pixel art" bug still seems to be there. (Just came across a piece I know for a fact I've rated before.)

Badassbill (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 6/1/2010 17:00

The jQuery rotator cycling everytime my mouse leaves the area is pretty annoying. A delay on that would be nice.

Ninja Crow (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 6/1/2010 16:55
Hey guys, lovin' the updates so far (though I have to say it would be a pretty poor world to live in if everybody had exactly the same opinion on everything!).

Thought I'd point out, if no one else has, that the pop-up info box on the "Newest Pixel Art" gallery page is cut off on the left if you hover over a piece that is against the left margin of the page.

I really appreciate the hard work!

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/1/2010 16:19

@Jinn: That is a nice layout, but it might need to be adjusted to prevent the layout being blown out when zooming in on the thumb.

@greenraven: The gallery is actually loading in from another file, but there isn't a visual indicator that it's loading... need to look into that.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/1/2010 16:14

I just noticed something interesting: When I went to my own profile, my gallery didn't load, it was just empty. This happened to me twice so far, I just hit refresh and it showed up fine. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Jinn (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/1/2010 15:39

Is it possible to do something like this?
i47.tinypic.com/2dhwhts.png

'Cuz... Don't know about the others, but I don't like the thumb image in the middle of the screen... Everything else looks great tho!

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/1/2010 15:23

Just updated to DTD XHTML to get some other stuff working... please excuse the ugly underlining of image/text combo in FF/Safari/Chrome. Working on it...

@Petrichor... if you PM me your OS/Browser and the piece I can take a look.

Petrichor (Level 3 Enforcer) @ 6/1/2010 12:40

Poo.

greenraven (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 6/1/2010 12:36

Just rated a few peices, working fine on my end.

Petrichor (Level 3 Enforcer) @ 6/1/2010 12:27

I don't know if it's related to the update or not, but my ratings appear to be stuck. I click a new rating, it shows "saving..." and then shows up on that piece, but my overall tally doesn't move D: It happened rather suddenly--was working last night.

Pragz (Level 1 Depressed) @ 6/1/2010 12:24

Sorry for my comments. >.<

sedgemonkey (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/1/2010 10:55

I know the content switcher needs work... I'm using a somewhat canned jQuery thing so implementing the hover and "show all" would be great and seem simple, but they might take a bit to implement. I will change to newest content to show first since that makes most sense anyway.

And thank you Hatch for ending the unproductive back and forths.

of 4

Merthil 2 icon/pixelartRachel icon/pixelartZip and Swell icon/pixelartChupacabraGirl2Kai icon/pixelart