Draw Pixel Art on the iPhone

TinyPixels is a pixel-wise painting application designed for iPhone and iPod touch. It allows you to draw pixel art works on your iPhone everywhere.

Check it.

Posted by sedgemonkey @ 5/9/2010 20:04  |    18

potomak (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/22/2013 02:28

There's also Draw! (web version at http://drawbang.com), a tiny pixel art editor. You can use it also to make GIF animations, but it requires Facebook connection to save your art. The app is free and you can download it at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drawbang/id578228937

mrwut4 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/4/2012 00:33

Pixel Painter is also neat and currently free.

Tmrgast (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 5/14/2012 10:12

Tiny pixels is one of the best but check out edge touch to!! This one has an animation creator and layers.

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 5/16/2010 07:16

some more pixel apps for iphone/ipod:

doteditor, dottouch, edge touch, tiny dot edit

There may be more but I can't remember now

Zeratanus (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/14/2010 07:00

Ah, that really sucks . especially because my house doesn't have wireless so I could only get my pixel art off my ipod by going to the library or one of my friends houses. Ah well, I'm not away from my computer that often again i suppose...

Jetrel (Level 1 Intern) @ 5/14/2010 00:25

The photo gallery app was designed for ... (brace yourself) photos.  Every image that gets copied in will internally get turned into a JPEG - this isn't TinyPixels doing it, it's the photo gallery program.  So they had no choice.

As for emailing, unless this app has animation support, there's no reason whatsoever to support gif.  In every other way, PNG is superior and has worked in all the major browsers, IE included, for years now.  *Animated* gifs are indeed a big deal, and that's one area where PNGs really need to get their act together.  Fortunately firefox is pushing a new animated PNG standard, so we're getting there.

I should really try this out because I've been thinking of writing my own *serious* pixel art app so I can get out of my nerd cave and do heavy-lifting on game projects in a nicer, outdoors setting.  The laptop+wacom is just too awkward for that.  I don't know if this'll be suitable, since I don't know how tuned it is for serious workflows (I definitely need animation support, period).  But hopefully I'll get some program sooner or later.

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 5/13/2010 10:32

It says on the help page, "PNG or JPEG for e-mail, JPEG for Photos album, and PNG for Twitpic.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/12/2010 17:57

Adam, will you please report on Zeratanus' no gif output. Is the png output png8 or 24. Can you tell? I guess you need to email yourself any work???

Ivy00 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/12/2010 16:36

I might have to check this one out, thanks for the info and the post :)

AdamPlays (Level 6 SWAT) @ 5/12/2010 14:44

just bought it, pretty cool!

Conjested angel (Level 3 Enforcer) @ 5/12/2010 12:36

I have used a program called edge touch for my pixel art needs. I suggest checking that one out too and I will probably check this one out. The one problem with edge touch is that i am pretty sure that the only way to get it onto the computer and keep it the same size distorts the color but i may be wrong.

wenruto (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/11/2010 12:02

Now I really Need An Ipod touch and now i can do real stuff when i am bored at school lol

Good Stuff Thnxx  sedgemonkey

Zeratanus (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/11/2010 11:44

what the... reading the list of features more carefully... it can only export to photos album as a .jpg! it can email as a .png or jpg, but no .gif? What's up with that? >=|. i guess png would work alright, but why would they do this whole jpg thing?

RPG_Boy (Level 5 Captain) @ 5/11/2010 11:24

got it :D

Domobot (Level 1 Depressed) @ 5/11/2010 11:17

Oh man, I've been waiting for something like this.

slabnsla (Level 5 Sniper) @ 5/11/2010 09:42

I WANT aN IPOD TOOOOOOUUUUUUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Zeratanus (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/11/2010 09:41

Rockin! Totally picking that up when I get home later (just needs the ability to import images and it'd be perfect)

vampireslug (Level 5 Detective) @ 5/11/2010 08:30

Why can't someone make something similar for Windows Mobile?  All of the drawing programs I have are auto-anti-aliasing rubbish.  I just want MS Paint on my Dell Axim!

V1X3N icon/pixelartFinished Not Perfect icon/pixelartRambo Avatar icon/pixelartPirates Version 2 icon/pixelart