Hero Core

Hero Core is a superb 2D shooter by Daniel Remar (best known for making Iji). You control Flip Hero in his quest to destroy the machine warlord Cruiser Tetron once and for all. While it is possible to fight Tetron very early in the game, you can also choose to explore the game world (in a manner reminiscent of the Metroid games) to upgrade your weapons and defences. The game features simple but effective 1-bit graphics, a cool retro soundtrack and some well-designed game mechanics and bosses. Expect a lot of intense bullet dodging and button mashing (an autofire option is available, however).

Screenshots, video and download link here. (Windows only)

Posted by Blueberry_pie @ 5/4/2010 00:55  |    17

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 5/11/2010 12:48

Daniel's first Hero was the inspiration for my game and I love this one too though I can't possibly hope to match it's style and game design.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/9/2010 05:17

ok, I actually made an attempt to finish Normal mode as fast as possible: I got 14.16 7.43 6.19

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/8/2010 12:36

Nothing, it's just a fun little easter egg.

Noet (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/8/2010 04:44

Haven't found it, what's so special about it?

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/8/2010 04:05

Wonder if I'm the first to find the Metroid easter egg.. Can't find anything on google. :O

Hard mode, go all the way to the bottom, don't kill any bosses, generators are allowed. Then there's a little drone called 'Zero Specialist' that you have to kill.

-DE- (Level 11 General) @ 5/7/2010 08:05

Awesome game. Awesome graphics. Beat the game on Normal in under 2 hours, now playing on Hard and Annihilation (?). Reaper Drone is a bitch to defeat.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/6/2010 11:14

o_O I just ended up beating it with 20% on my first go. I think I inadvertently attempted a speed run. Maybe I should play through it again without insane amounts of sequence breaking.

Grug (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 5/6/2010 11:07

It works very well on Mac (osX.6) with Wine.app

Very beautifull game.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/5/2010 21:56

Oh well, I forgot to mention I destroyed all the other generators and got and did everything else.

Blueberry_pie helped me, tho

How are you getting along in hard mode?

Noet (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/5/2010 17:09

I'm sorry, but when I saw that picture it was pretty clear in my head that u gotta destroy a generator nearby and then everythings pretty simple if you're able to survive in the heat for a while.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/5/2010 12:19

Sorry, and thanks.

And what Noet?

I finished easy mode too. Hard mode was/is a bitch. Starting off is crazy. Bosses are crazy. Killed like 8 of them now though. Now I have to kill2 of those big enemies with giant plus signs in their eyes. At one time.

I think I'm gonna be stuck there forever.

Annihilator mode.. I don't even know, man.

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 5/5/2010 04:49

The barrier can't be removed, but if you're at a high enough level you can pass through it without dying (provided you have enough health). It's just a little easter egg though, it doesn't count toward 100%.

Also, please don't post images in comments, especially large ones like that. I edited your post.

Noet (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/5/2010 04:34

Dr.D your kidding me?

Most epic game I've played in long time, finished the first story, now on to the other two!

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/4/2010 14:38

Guys

how get

someone plz help

fawful (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 5/4/2010 09:55

Awesome game it be.

Pumpkinbot (Level 2 Peon) @ 5/4/2010 09:22

Ah, Hero 3D...Such wonderful memories. Frickin' aliens tried to kidnap me while I was playing, though...

yrizoud (Level 6 SWAT) @ 5/4/2010 07:48

I don't know if this is worth front page news, here... I mean, it doesn't teach much in terms of pixel art. (You'd rather study the piece "Goblin spirit", by zch). This said, the general art design is evocative, and it's probably the best game you could ever make with such limitations on resolution, palette, and the total amount of artwork. It's simply the best game I've played for a very long time.

Treasure keeper icon/pixelartThought Distortion icon/pixelartRobo-Bob icon/pixelartAlien icon/pixelart