Ripped Image Checker

TinEye is a nifty reverse image search engine that will check images that you feed it and see if it matches any other images in its database. Pretty useful for finding RIPs on PixelJoint.  Despite it still being Beta, it works pretty well.

Check it out here.

Posted by Robinhood @ 3/31/2010 17:57  |    16

AngelOTG (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/5/2010 15:17

Whatttt, you have to pay to search through it? I did not know that.

I mean, I set up an automated script on my friend's budding image hosting site that just plugs the image into TinEye and searches there. I didn't know that was against the rules. o.o;

Alrighty then, you're right. Forget that. Waste of moo'lah. XD

1ucas (Level 5 Soldier) @ 4/5/2010 03:56

It's not a bad idea, I'm just wondering about priorities and performance.

The thing is, TinEye's API is not free (at about $70 a year for 1000 queries - https://api.tineye.com/pricing ). If only a small fraction of those were caught, to me it would seem like a big waste of money that could probably go to more important things (server upgrades, for instance). At least pixel art tends to be very small in size, so I don't think it would be a big bandwidth problem.

You could also develop something to request TinEye's website like a normal user would do, but lots of requests coming from the same IP address would look rather suspicious in the logs, and they are very clearly against this on their TOS: "Automated searching on TinEye via search scripts will not be tolerated, and will result in blocking of your IP address and/or other termination of your TinEye account."

But I'm not a member of the staff or anything. I'm just giving my opinions here.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/5/2010 01:21

most of the heavily edited or color reduced images can still be caught by eye. but a quick check doesnt hurt.

DawnBringer (Level 10 Maniac) @ 4/5/2010 01:10

Some should think before they speak.

AngelOTG (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/4/2010 22:59

You know I've actually caught 3 rips in the past month (March) with TinEye? Yes, a small number. BUT, wouldn't have had to deal with them at all if it was added.

Besides, it'd be easy to code and would only add four or five seconds to the time it takes to submit an image.

But eh, I suppose there are bigger fish to fry. It was just a suggestion for the staff to consider for the PJ update I keep reading about.

1ucas (Level 5 Soldier) @ 4/4/2010 22:11

The majority of submissions are OK, so I don't see it as being very helpful.

AngelOTG (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/4/2010 20:32

Maybe a system could be implemented where all images submitted to the gallery are automatically filtered through TinEye?

Would be pretty useful.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 4/4/2010 19:40

Wow that is awesome!

Slemsvamp (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 4/4/2010 15:22

Yh, stumbled upon this when it brand new but now I actually have a reason to use it. Tnx for the tip

Khoryl (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 4/4/2010 09:39

As long as the image isn't too much modified yeah TinEye work.

Alcala (Level 1 Rookie) @ 4/4/2010 09:13

This looks like a great tool for PixelJoint and it could help on many situations

Robinhood (Level 9 Boss) @ 4/4/2010 09:06

Probably.

It did with one of bitwanker's color reduced ones.

Peach (Level 6 Made) @ 4/4/2010 09:04

will it work with colour reduced images?

1ucas (Level 5 Soldier) @ 4/4/2010 06:46

I love TinEye. It's a great tool for finding images on a larger resolution. I just wish they had more images indexed.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 4/4/2010 06:42

note: it will work only with images that are blatalantly traced, or have been just slighty modificated. its not a magic wand, but it does help when its evident a trace has been made and the reference needs to be found.

Pretty Busy - Rework icon/pixelartAvatar V2 icon/pixelartRachel icon/pixelartavatar icon/pixelart