Pixel Art Challenge: Obliqueworld

You are to create a mock-up of an oblique game. Make sure that all your angled lines fit the perspective (45 degrees, as per the examples shown below).

An example of an oblique cube:

oblique.png picture by tumble_weed

Some screenshots from real games that use an oblique perspective:
Earthbound
Paperboy
Ultima VII

Also, have a look at these oblique mock-ups by PixelJoint members:
Helm
iLKke

Canvas Size - Unrestricted.
Colours - Max 32.
Transparency - Optional.
Animation - No.

Posted by Blueberry_pie @ 10/5/2009 00:02  |    21

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/9/2009 22:08

@ ui_, It can be hard just to pixel something static in a week. Animation only challenges always brings few entries so we try to limit that. We will add the 'allowed' here and there when it fits.

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 10/8/2009 19:34

ok ok ok!... maybe i exaggerate a little bit!... i was just trying to say that you guys can made ppl able to animate their creations if they want.  Same as the transparency, some of the challenge sometimes deserv transparency, cuz of the composition. Usually the canvas size is fine how its. Of course, this is just my opinion :D and maybe is just me who always participe on challenges without animation allowed :(... thx for the anwser and clarification :D

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/8/2009 14:14

"Almost every single challenge" - What do you mean? If you look through the challenge archive you'll notice that this is not the case.

If this is a comment that relates to mock-up challenges, then it may be somewhat true; personally my preference for mock-up challenges is without animation. I feel that it's nice to see mock-ups as sceenshots that you might find on a gaming website as it feels as though you are looking at an image of  possible game. Also, particularly for this challenge, I feel that animation is not necessary and that the main emphasis here is working with a particular perspective. But like I mentioned earlier, that's not to say there won't be some more animated mock-up challenges in the future (there will be!).

If we are talking generally, then I disagree, quite a number of challenges include the option of animation and a couple of this year's challenges have been animation only.

It is far from true that "almost every single challenge" doesn't allow for animation.

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 10/8/2009 13:39

wonder why almost every single challenge, dont allow animation :S

xXHalfieXx (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 10/7/2009 20:20

I have also ran into this problem.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 10/7/2009 14:00

Another tough challenge.  I didn't think so at first but after messing around with some ideas last night realized it was more difficult without making everything look too boxy.  I guess that's why it's a challenge.  Or maybe I'm looking at everything wrong.

xXHalfieXx (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 10/6/2009 20:02

The cube is more than 4 colors, omg

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 10/6/2009 14:34

@Skamocore:  Perhaps its the fact that, in Ultima 7 (and related games), the ground is flat which makes it seem so different.  If it does fit within the perspective, it's a radically different application than the other examples.  If you look at this image, though, you can probably see where I'm coming from in terms of isometry: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9194/isobqlique.png

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/6/2009 01:40

@Redshrike - Yep, Surt's correct, it definitely is oblique. I can assure you that if you rotated an isometric image you will not end up with something on the same angle as the Ultima VII screenshot.

@Stickman - sorry :< no animation, but I promise there will be animation optional mock-up challenges in the near-ish future. In the meantime I'll let you in on some insider information - next week's challenge will allow for animation :o

Also, I just realised I have an appropriate avatar for this week 8D

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/5/2009 23:17

Redshrike: U7 most certainly is oblique. Read these.

Everybody: I expect scrolling beat 'em ups, and plenty of them.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 10/5/2009 20:49

Heh heh!! Yeah, well I thought it would be nice to try out an animated scrolling "paperboyish" type of game. I also don't get to do much 2D animation as I used to, so it's nice when the option comes up:) (then again, I could always submit to 11 second club....)

AtomicMushroom (Level 4 Button Man) @ 10/5/2009 20:24

Cool little challenge we got here.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 10/5/2009 19:14

"No animation. What a shame."  < Ya killz me Stick.

Scarodactyl (Level 8 Marshal) @ 10/5/2009 16:00

I don't think that ultima 7 is oblique; just look at it in comparison to the others.  I think that what it has is a rotated 45 degree isometric perspective.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 10/5/2009 15:47

No animation. What a shame.

Shawn (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 10/5/2009 13:26

hahahaha ultima vii. it looks so awkward to play.

ill probably enter this if i find the time.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 10/5/2009 00:34

Game.

Edited.

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 10/5/2009 00:30

Oh, I guess we should've specified more clearly. Probably a game, as the provided examples all depict games as well. You'd have to ask skamocore to be sure, but let's just go with game mock-up for now.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/5/2009 00:29

I suppose thehy mean a game mock up :)

Ekoi (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 10/5/2009 00:14

Mock-up of what?

A game? A movie? An album-cover?

Or just any of mock-up we please?

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 10/5/2009 00:03

Great challenge, now already!

Sons of Peril - Snail unit icon/pixelartCat Genie icon/pixelartSteve's Looked Better icon/pixelartBelinda, fanart from AFK Arena icon/pixelart