Canabalt

Canabalt is a fun little Flash game made by AdamAtomic using his flixel library. In the game, you control a running man as he makes his 'daring escape', presumably from the futuristic robots that can be seen destroying the city in the background. All you have to do is press the X or C key at the right times to jump over obstacles and to leap to the next rooftop, which gets pretty challenging after a while. The audio and visuals are quite good and do a great job at creating a sense of urgency. Give it a try.

Posted by Blueberry_pie @ 9/1/2009 04:46  |    33

SynZygfryda (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/30/2009 05:35

10404 :)

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 9/11/2009

And I was glad I finally made it to 5000!

SynZygfryda (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/8/2009 07:32

best score 9144 :)

purpletree (Level 6 Manager) @ 9/7/2009 00:47

hmm cool game,

@ Hatch: I have a simple theory... the missile.bombs don't appear on the widowed corridors and cranes, and never more than one in a row... :)

Pretty Simple hey... lol

Hysteria (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 9/6/2009 13:51

If the game had a predetermined stage, it would b BORING. I think it is pretty cool as it is now, maybe could be better but I couldn't say how.

Carnivac (Level 8 Shodan) @ 9/6/2009 07:44

It's nicely made but I can't say it held my interest for long.  I liked the stuff going on in the background more than the actual gameplay.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 9/5/2009 22:04

@Hatch - WTF!? That's over nine thousaaannnd!! *breaks scouter*

That is impressive! All of my props to you sir.

Dhr. Bosch (Level 2 Kukyu) @ 9/4/2009 14:20

7624...

and i would like to add to hatch's tips: try to hit something once in a while, it seems like the distance between the buildings and the length of the buildings has a direct reletionship with your speed, which means things get harder if you're going fast but if you slow yourself down every so oftenm you can make the game as easy as you want.

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 9/3/2009 17:00

11285! \o/

PROTIPS:

• Learning to control your jumps is the only way to survive the windowed corridors.
  • Hit only one obstacle per building, or you may not have enough momentum for the next jump.
  • Try to land as close to the near edge of each building as you can. This will give the most reaction time for the missile/bomb things.
  • A cracking noise, like a gunshot, signals that there will be a missile/bomb thing landing on the next building. This is almost impossible to hear over the music, but you can disable the music by entering and exiting fullscreen mode. Excellent bugfeature. Please don't "fix" it.
  • THEORY: the missile/bomb things don't appear on buildings with birds.

EDIT: Just discovered my theory is wrong.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 9/2/2009 23:33

Scatman makes the gameplay much more interesting.

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 9/2/2009 22:10

That guy is pretty fast. He runs over 100 km per hour.

Stickman (Level 7 Sheriff) @ 9/2/2009 07:51

Brilliant, fab...just such great fun! Well done man!

DeexPL (Level 1 Rookie) @ 9/2/2009 05:50

4202 :D

Calv (Level 7 Assassin) @ 9/2/2009 01:14

Fun game

AtomicMushroom (Level 4 Button Man) @ 9/1/2009 20:40

I got 3432m. Ha.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 9/1/2009 15:17

Heh, took me a while to figure out that jump power is decided by how long/hard you press the button. Until then, I had troubles with obstacles near ledges and the glass+wall thing, too. Awesome game, though.

HS = 3431m

Manjaman (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 9/1/2009 13:40

You're wrong :  training, training is the source of omnipotence my boy >w<

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 9/1/2009 13:33

I got 2000 something before I had to jump out a window, only I DIDN'T have to jump, but instead let the little dude have gravity handle it for him. Except I think this happened way too fast for human reflexes to react.

Antifarea (Level 4 Ensign) @ 9/1/2009 12:42

Post your score. :D

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b275/Antifarea/runninggamescore.gif

Manjaman (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 9/1/2009 11:40

BB : bloody rascal I only reached 4005m

EDIT : done 6514m

big brother (Level 11 Admiral) @ 9/1/2009 11:29

Here's an interesting article on games with a one-button approach.

Apparently, Nom plays fairly similarly to this game.

big brother (Level 11 Admiral) @ 9/1/2009 11:26

This is great -- simple and well-executed. I initially had problems with the jumping through the glass into buildings (you can wait until the last second to jump, or if the window is below you or you're running fast, you can hold off on the jump). I particularly like the role the barrels and other random objects play. Sometimes it's helpful to hit them and slow down a little.

Visually, I would make the missile spark like a cartoon bomb. The animation would help show that it is an active threat to the player. Other than that, it's very clean and functional.

5592m is my current record.

Pik (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 9/1/2009 10:24

Very nice atmosphere, but it made my eyes bleed after a while.

Great game.

jamesmorrow07 (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 9/1/2009 09:47

"You ran 1280m before hitting a wall and tumbling to your death."

Very harsh and blunt, but classic!

I love ths one, though:

"You ran 1082m before turning into a fine mist."

Manjaman (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 9/1/2009 08:45

Little tip : If you jump just at the limit of the platform, you can easily reach some of the inside passages we've been talking about.

susuwataris (Level 6 Yonkyu) @ 9/1/2009 08:31

nice idea and amazing execution.

Jocher (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 9/1/2009 08:20

i love it

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 9/1/2009 07:36

Hell yeah Hatch, Heart of Darkness freaking owned. I just installed it again after reading your comment. Edit: And I just beat it on hard mode. woot

Also, for those of you using a high display resolution... Here's a bigger version of the game (stretched to 3x rather than the normal 2x).

Manjaman (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 9/1/2009 07:24

That is awesome ! Same remarks than Mykola and ska...

I can't do better than 3000 pts =S

Mykola (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 9/1/2009 07:20

one bit of criticism first, to get it out of the way

the only thing i found frustrating was the wall+glass obstacle... it's too unforgiving compared to other obstacles (even the sudden bomb in your face) but what's worse it's nearly impossible to tell the height at which the glass is this time.

all my deaths but one in the game in like 25 attempts were due to these walls.

other than that the atmosphere is amazing and i applaud adam and danny for creating such a masterpiece of a game

Hatch (Level 3 Hatchikyu) @ 9/1/2009 06:42

Agree with Ska. There was a great segment in Heart of Darkness where you had to constantly run from the baddies, and, if I remember correctly, the only actions available to you were jump and roll. The area you had to run through was completely predetermined. That's one of my fondest gaming memories, and I think the addition of just one action and a few different types of obstacles could make a huge difference.

That said, it's great fun as is. I can't wait to get home and really play it.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 9/1/2009 06:26

Really nice atmosphere - the background robots and the vibrations are especially cool - but that's pretty much it. There's not really much going on in terms of gameplay - it's literally press x to not die (or c). I would say this is a game where randomisation isn't really warranted; I think there would be a lot more incentive to replay the game (and it would mean you could actually compare scores with others) if it were consistent every time you played.

Also, some of the larger clusters of birds seem to cause a bit of a lag.

ChupacabraGirl4Motion icon/pixelartdoop icon/pixelartTheseus icon/pixelartNessa (Pokemon Sword/Shield) icon/pixelart