Pixel Art Challenge: Cards Alive

You are challenged to create a sprite based on one of the characters found on the court cards in a standard deck of playing cards.
You may base your sprite on any of these cards:

Jack of Hearts-Diamonds-Spades-Clubs
Queen of Hearts-Diamonds-Spades-Clubs
King of Hearts-Diamonds-Spades-Clubs

Information and images of court cards

Edit: Depict just the character that is on the card and not an image of a playing card itself.

Canvas Size - Maximum 70 (width) x 100 (height).
Colours - Maximum 12.
Transparency - Required.
Animation - Optional.

Posted by jalonso @ 5/11/2009 00:34  |    37

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/18/2009 04:44

unicorngirl, you can vote for yourself especially if you feel your entry is worthy of it.

Some do, some don't. Its your call.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/17/2009 22:54

You can vote for whoever you want; if you want to vote for yourself you may.

unicorngirl (Level 1 Seaman) @ 5/17/2009 13:27

I have a question about challenges in general - are we allowed to vote on challenges we entered? And if so, vote for ourselves? I don't vote for myself even if it's "allowed" bc I feel like that's cheating, unless everybody does it, in which case it's putting me at a disadvantage. I'd just like to know where you stand on that.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/14/2009 19:19

Well, submit it, but don't submit it to the challenge if you don't think it fits the rules.

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/14/2009 17:12

I've finished the piece I was working on. Well, it doesn't really adhere to the rules at all. It follows the general theme but I both mistakenly overlooked the edit about having a playing card on the character and the boldness of "sprite". For a poor lowly, ill educated in the way of pixel bloke like me, sprite means spriting, not one single character.

Is there any point in me submitting my off-the-brief entry, guys?

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/14/2009 12:38

Oh my god.
Why must you do all these awesome challenges when I'm swamped with coursework?! D:

TheInquisitor (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/14/2009 04:58

I'm throwing my hat into the ring, although I didn't pay clear attention to the rules. Whoopsidoodle. I've got the card itself on there, but I feel dropping it would ruin the picture, so I'm going to keep it in. I may get disqualified, but oh well. Hopefully the good chaps will give a bit of leeway and let me off the hook.

It's not even just a sprite really, more a scene. Infact, the more I re-read the rules, the more I've completely -completely- ignored them.

hotnikkelz (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/13/2009 13:16

lesson learnt!!!! that was very informative....i shall participate in this one, if i got time..hopefully i will since it's small :)

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/12/2009 22:17

@ hotnikkelz, yes! Its hard to see this with Photoshop because when you have a transparency it just doesn't show a color at all even though its there (whatever BG color is in your toolbar). If you open a transparent Photoshop file in MSPaint, for example, the BG color will be whatever the BG color was when you saved the file but will be visible since Paint does not support transparency.

This is why you often see that eye-blinding pink as BG on sprites. Programmers just code in that anything that color is masked/transparent but its still there and so its a color...

...class dismissed \o/

hotnikkelz (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/12/2009 18:57

Lemme see if i follow u....

Say i choose a pallette of 11 colours and i create my sprite that is not filling the entire canvas that i'm working with...instead in photoshop i have a transparent background...does that mean it really is 12 colours? 11 for the sprite and 1 for the transparent background 'technically'?!

I did not know that :/ interesting.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 5/12/2009 16:03

Hey Jal.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Good thing I asked.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/12/2009 14:32

Transparency IS considered a color. This color exisits in the file but is masked in gif.png file to show as transparent.

When a challenge call for transparency then 1 color is taken away, thus 11colors + trans = 12 colors.

dpixel (Level 9 Vice President) @ 5/12/2009 14:00

I'm just curious why transparency would count as a color, especially in a sprite.  This might be confusing as if I didn't read through all the posts I would just assume 12 as it lists in the requirements.  Is this the standard here at pj?  I mean counting transparency as a color.

jiipm (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/12/2009 02:24

Uploaded my sprite of ten colors. Took some while to make that :P

Quake (Level 2 Hired Gun) @ 5/12/2009 00:38

think i'll redo my sprite, don't like it :}

Antifarea (Level 4 Ensign) @ 5/11/2009 22:37

Lol this is the perfect size for me, since I always make my characters around that size range. I have the piece in mind that I will make for this contest... I am going to be checking some WIPs from some of you, I like seeing those... in the meantime.

Dr D (Level 4 Shichikyu) @ 5/11/2009 15:01

Well, personally, I think the canvas size is more than enough, you don't have to make them huge. And I believe the contest is open to some interpretation, you shouldn't have to cram every little detail into it.

6dof (Level 3 Corporate Drone) @ 5/11/2009 14:34

This challenge seems difficult, considering the canvas size and the ammount of detail those cards have...

Stratto (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 5/11/2009 13:53

I bet ther's going to be many Alice based sprites

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/11/2009 13:34

Yeah, but the judgment has been given and we have no right to intervene :<

Photocopier (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/11/2009 13:19

That sounds like a good idea actually...

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/11/2009 13:12

We've had enough of jokers for a millennium. In a way it would fit the theme, I must confess, but then again a joker isn't as restricted as the other 12 ;3 (I actually would've liked to characterize an Ace)

Photocopier (Level 11 Godfather) @ 5/11/2009 07:52

no joker :O

Perkele (Level 4 Murderer) @ 5/11/2009 07:34

Hm, maybe I'll participate, won't be too much work. Interesting though.

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/11/2009 07:18

@Antifarea: There's no bg, it's a sprite.

@Peeter: I think it was quite obvious before the EDIT you're not supposed to draw a card, but create a character out of the card's represented king/queen/knaves

Antifarea (Level 4 Ensign) @ 5/11/2009 04:55

I'll participate although it will be kinda tedious to only be able to use 12 colors, I was expecting 16 MAX, in order to cover red, blue and yellow with some shades... judging by most of the cards, and since we also have to include black and white for the bg and the lineart... I'm not complaining, just voicing my opinion.

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 5/11/2009 03:52

AHh.. I got the card finished just before the Edit in the challenge post..

Bubu (Level 4 Murderer) @ 5/11/2009 03:34

Interesting challenge, I'll give it a go :)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/11/2009 03:19

Transparency counts as a colour, so 11+ transparency.

Also, I've updated the challenge. Please create a sprite that depicts one of the characters who are found on the cards, rather than creating a new design for a playing card.

Essentially the challenge is to bring one of the court card characters to life.

Peeter (Level 4 Button Man) @ 5/11/2009 02:42

11 + transparent or 12 + transparent colors?

cornice (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/11/2009 02:35

..I'm thinking that is better to show my WIP from time to time so I will be sure to not wrong..

But I don't understand yet why my precedent circle isn't published..

Sorry for my difficulty to unterstand english...but I love this site and pixel art so...be patience...

Thanks!

Scribblette (Level 1 Intern) @ 5/11/2009 01:55

I'm guessing transparency behind the sprite. So it's JUST a sprite. No background. Just that person and their gear.

cornice (Level 1 Rookie) @ 5/11/2009 01:47

Hi, I'm Deborah, a new entry ..

I have to ask you what do you mean saing "transparency required"??? where the transparency??

jeremy (Level 11 Special Agent) @ 5/11/2009 01:41

I am so entering :D Awesome challenge idea!

@smk: I'd assume so, It is a sprite.

Scribblette (Level 1 Intern) @ 5/11/2009 01:33

Oh, the potential for fun on this is just fantastic... just hope my incredibly obvious idea isn't snagged by someone else. Eesh. :)

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/11/2009 00:54

Good challenge!

smk (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/11/2009 00:43

That's a challenge for ya, I think I'll join ;3

EDIT: Does the Transparency - Required mean that no background is allowed?

Enchanted amulet icon/pixelartThe great adventure of the Stone Age3 icon/pixelartThought Distortion icon/pixelartLamu the Invader icon/pixelart