Pixel Art Challenge: Let's Dance!

Lollige challenges you to create a character, and make it dance! 8 frames exactly! If there is a certain beat to it, please make the beat start on the very first frame, so it will look even better viewing all entries together! Any character is allowed, humanoid or animal, alien, original or not.

Canvas Size  - Maximum 48 x 48.
Colors -  Unrestricted.
Animation - Exactly 8 frames. Each frame must be 1/10th of a second.
Transparency -  Required.

Note: If you don't have an animation program you can draw every loose frame in any graphics program, save them, and create the animation with
iaza or download unFREEz.

Posted by cure @ 2/16/2009 00:01  |    28

Antiboton (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/22/2009 08:28

I wanna see more entries! My MSN claim for original emoticons.

LuckyF (Level 3 Hatchet Man) @ 2/22/2009 02:33

Again, interesting challenge Lollige. Hope I'll get some time today to work on my entry, the idea for itbothered me the whole week ))

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/19/2009 04:57
Those mods just want to be tooo nice ;)

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/18/2009 16:08
its the second time this happens to me :C

even when i clearly said it wasnt for the challenge.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/17/2009 18:03
The amount of actual frames that appear within the animated image must be exactly eight. If I open it up in an animation program then it should show that the animation has exactly eight frames... ...

Metaru's piece was entered into the challenge, but I just removed it then.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/17/2009 17:54
actions/sequences in a animation =/= frames.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/17/2009 17:53
no it wasnt. 8 frames means 8 frames wich means 8 images are displayed in 0.8 seconds.

plyvinyl (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 2/17/2009 17:47
oh fooey - i'm just responding to what i see. his submission was posted on the contest page; i didn't mean to confuse. i myself was a bit confused actually

Bundt (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 2/17/2009 17:39
plyvinyl, Metaru's animation wasn't entered into the weekly contest. The contest asks for exactly 8 frames at 1/10th of a second each so that all of the animations will match up with each other. (Posted this again here in case somebody reads plyvinyl's comment and gets confuzzled!)

plyvinyl (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 2/17/2009 16:58
"Exactly 8 frames" does not mean 8 frames in duration - it means exactly 8 drawings, as per Metaru's example

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 2/17/2009 12:54
finally a more relaxed and joyful challenge

Antiboton (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 2/16/2009 19:48
I love this challenge!!! I love emoticon animated art... overall when dancing chars. I collect them!

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/16/2009 18:51
And for those who have to use iaza, it doesn't have many options.  But 1/10 is one of them.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 2/16/2009 18:34
I think 1/10th of a second is pretty standard, and can work on all browsers, so it's probs the best choice in this situation.

7even (Level 9 Nidan) @ 2/16/2009 17:44
Uh, I think 1/10th is pretty slow, I'd recommend 6/100, but that's a matter of opinion :)

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/16/2009 14:55
I think its Reo!

Reo (Level 11 Sensei) @ 2/16/2009 14:28
Guess who has an awesome idea and is all ready half-done :D

Saporion (Level 2 Dealer) @ 2/16/2009 11:49
I might to do something :D
I just spent 10 minutes planning out the steps in real life. xD

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 2/16/2009 11:28
ManningKrull has some nice examples

A.B. Lazer (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 2/16/2009 09:28
Ah, a week ago I thought just about exactly that theme! But I'd made 3 frames minimum as 8 requires quite a lot of dedication and skill.

7even (Level 9 Nidan) @ 2/16/2009 07:53
plyviny has a point.

No matter if everyone make their animations with 8 frames, if they are timed differently, they'll hardly move at the same beat. For example, if I make a looping animation with 8 frames timed 7/100 (100 = 1 second) each, it will match the beat of a 11/100 one just in frame 77.
Not counting the case of having different timed frames in the same animation.

I'm not complaining about the frame number or anything else, I'm fine with it really, just saying the idea of having them synchronize requires much more rules limitations.

TheManuz (Level 5 Killer Klown) @ 2/16/2009 07:20
The point of having 8 frames playing at 1/10th of second is to have all animations moving to the same beat, i suppose! Nice challenge, i want to do it!

Haru-D (Level 1 Thug) @ 2/16/2009 07:16
Hmm guess..maybe...yeah ok you twisted my arm.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 2/16/2009 05:16
Your link does not work properly. And at haru-D, you are supposed to make just a small character. If you find it too small, make more :)

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/16/2009 04:44
Is it really too small?

Also, it's exactly 8 frames not maximum 8.

Haru-D (Level 1 Thug) @ 2/16/2009 04:25

Maximum 48x48?

I have no problem with the maximum 8 frame but the canvas size is a bit...small.

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 2/16/2009 02:53
Exactly 8 frames. No more no less.

Remember, the point is of a challenge is for you to be challenged :P

plyvinyl (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 2/16/2009 02:21
one question:
Animation - Exactly 8 frames?

does this mean an animated .gif can only be 8 frames long or does it mean you can use 8 drawings and time them however you like? i think an 8 frame cycle is a bit restrictive...i suggest maybe the 8 frame limit should refer to the number of drawings in the animation.

does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Betta icon/pixelartFemale Warrior icon/pixelart"Wenzig Kaiser" -- Blitz Kaiser's Mobile Hangar icon/pixelartFight Gal icon/pixelart