New Henk Nieborg Interview

After losing the interview he conducted in March 2008, NFG has finally found it and posted it on his site. Have a look if you want to hear what Henk has to say about working on Contra 4, the DS, Shantae and super secret future projects. This is the second in a series; part 1 is here.

Posted by NFG @ 8/20/2008 01:48  |    12

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 8/23/2008 05:32
It's just interesting that we all yap about reducing colors to a minimum, when the all time great artists like Henk used a hozillion colors.

Besides, he still uses a lot more colors nowadays than you use on any of your works.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/22/2008 13:13
Gil I was saying its important because its someone who clearly knows his stuff saying its a waste, and people should learn from it. The only thing more colors typically adds for me is more work.

zi-double (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 8/22/2008 11:46
Dragonrc because else you can take every graph and make her 256 colours /where are 60 why not 256 or why not 16mil :)/ and will not see too much diference from original - but these will not teach what is pixel art or what is fun or ...

Gallery in PJ is with another idea I think - not comersial that is why I hope to see and in the future that words :)

Interview is very fun and old part I read long ago, but now reread her :)

Hm one note - I'm not read new interview in PJ long ago !

dragonrc (Level 4 Deputy) @ 8/22/2008 09:52
"Amount of colors means nothing these days."
truth, amount of colors isn't really important anymore as long as the end result looks good, if the result looks good, who cares if you used 6 or 60 colors? But still I often see the comment "reduce the amount of colors" in the WIP section and on the comments of pieces in the gallery. Too many colors can hurt a piece, but when it doesn't why change it?

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 8/22/2008 00:33
I see nothing wrong with that, it's just that Setzer says it's "important", and I don't understand why. Amount of colors means nothing these days...

Zenobia (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/21/2008 23:53
Gil: what do you see wrong with that then? I think it's refreshing to see a professional say colours aren't so stupidly important anymore nowadays. It's about the final result and how nice it looks.

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 8/21/2008 20:21
Why is that important stuff Setzer? He still uses a lot more colors than most of the artists and he says he only does it to work faster.

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/21/2008 20:18
"I do not use that many different tints (gradient) for a single color anymore. For instance i used about 4-6 different tints on one color for Contra4. I used about 16 tints per color in Lomax. That was a little bit overdoing it really looking back on it. :) Anyway, Reducing the amount of colors is saving a lot of time. People are still happy with the result so why not."

Very important stuff.

horcy (Level 2 Corporal) @ 8/21/2008 00:41

I read the inteview in the book 'Character Design for Mobile Devices'. Which came to my attention through bannering on this website. Online adverting does work eh...
But Henk is an amazing artist. Pixeling with a joystick on a black and white TV. How about that!!!

You Rock Henk!!!

Gil (Level 6 Major) @ 8/20/2008 23:37
Henk should totally get a gallery here, it's a shame that there aren't more famous people with a gallery here...

BlackDragon (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/20/2008 13:50
Yes, I have seen this before too.

Zenobia (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/20/2008 06:55
Funny, I was just looking at his site again a couple of days ago to study his style.
Good to see this interview.

Flipping a Locked Card icon/pixelartPixel hunters icon/pixelartLittle Cook icon/pixelartChupacabraGirl4Motion icon/pixelart