Messy Galleries at deviantART!

Hi everyone!

Just an update for those wondering why I have stopped cleaning the PixelArt Galleries at deviantART and why there are so many miscategorizations in the Gallery.

One of my main roles when I was appointed Gallery Director for PixelArt at dA was to  keep the PixelArt Galleries clear of Miscategorized work. It took me about three or fours hours a day to do most of the cleaning.  Early in July all the Gallery Directors were told to stop doing any moving or cleaning of the galleries as the IT department are working on an auto move system.  As I understand it, if there is a regular type of miscat and a report is put in by a member, then an auto move to the correct category will take place. Obviously there needs to be some special safeguards needed to be built in to avoid abuse of the system.

So anyone who would normally report miscats at dA please keep doing it, you are not being ignored but this sort of IT program will obvious take time to put into place.

I am sorry if dA is currently a depressing place to look for PixelArt but I keep an eye out for your work in the Galleries and would love to DD feature it. I am only permitted to give a DD feature to the same artist no more than once in a three month period.

I really need good PixelArt to feature so if you aren't at dA yet, please join us and maybe your work will be the next Daily Deviation Feature to be faved by hundreds and viewed by thousands.

I hold regular PixelArt competitions...always with prizes, so it is a good idea to put me on watch so you know when a competition is happening.

Hope to see you at deviantART.

Best

Ann

Posted by ShoneGold @ 8/17/2008 04:25  |    9

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/23/2008 16:07
It's just a problem of popularity.  dA is still useful as a portal to sites like PJ that are smaller and easier to control.  But there are so many people at dA and quality rules are loose enough to let the newbies pollute it.  Hell, I started out about dA, then found out about PJ through dA.
So it's great that you're helping lead the more serious members in a more focused direction.  It's just a shame there are so many rippers/sprite editors/furries/dollers and general Dumb Asses that think whatever the hell is made on a computer is pixel art.  You've got a daunting job, best of luck!

ShoneGold (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/20/2008 05:42
FrankieSmileShow  Various galleries need people with certain expertise to do the reports. They need the people who would normally report to continue to do so. No small group can be asked to trial it as it needs to be done by the folk who report regularly and understand the artforms they are reporting.  I think you are right, I think they want the big build up to happen in order to test how well it is likely to work and what sort of abuses/mistakes are likely to occur.

I am not too concerned, when I began as GD, it was about 2 - 3 years of miscat buildup....all we are looking at here on a worse case scenario is about 3 -4 months hopefully...and if it doesn't work, it will only take me a couple of weeks at about 8-10 hours a day to sort them again...so no big deal really, just frustrating at this point when I see miscats, I am dying to move them.

FrankieSmileShow (Level 6 Manager) @ 8/19/2008 10:41
Eep, thats an odd decision, to tell gallery directors to stop sorting the galleries before the next system is actually put in place. They should have put some temporary replacement instead, like spread out the sorting work to a wider range of people, like official beta testers.
....Unless they want a large amount of "miscats" to build up before the next system arrives to test it or something..?

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 8/18/2008 20:20
Hm, i was wondering what was goin on.

ShoneGold (Level 1 Rookie) @ 8/18/2008 04:28
BobSmith006 Glad to see you here and contributing your PixelArt as well as dA. Reporting miscats isn't for everyone it is tedious and boring, so only if folks feel like doing it is OK. You should browse the Gallery, sometimes there are people there who are not here...yet! :)

ThereIsNoCure  They have, there are only GIF and PNG file images allowed in PixelArt now.

Setzer
  I look for the hidden treasures it is like hunting for gold...it is such a joy to find something special and then feature it. It is amazing how a good piece sticks out from the rest. Keeping an eye on the Daily Deviations is another way of finding art and people. I have a folder of PixelArt DD features in my Favourites gallery, so you don't have to hunt through all the rest of the DDs or galleries to find the PA.

zi-double I agree with you,  I feel it is so important for accomplished PixelArtists to share their work with the wider audience at dA so that people can learn what PixelArt is all about and begin to appreciate it. If everyone hides their work from the vast majority of people, eventually it will die out as an art form...the more people see and understand what PixelArt is all about, the more people will begin to  create it and find their way  here. I do my best to promote PixelJoint and often mention it on DD features.

zi-double (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 8/17/2008 23:51
In the begining of PJ many peoples come here from DA and now for me PJ is the best place for PArt. But my opinion is that: if more peoples see pixel art, more peoples will like and try him /like me/, that is why I never close my DA gallery and think that DA have his contribution for PArt /of course not like 5-6 years ago/.

Yep sistem in DA isn't good, but ... the time will show!

Just keep good work there ShoneGold :)

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 8/17/2008 12:59
I don't think I've ever browsed dA and found something decent, so I just watch artists I know don't suck there, I gave up searching a long time ago =(

cure (Level 11 Godfather) @ 8/17/2008 12:27
Has dA implemented filetype restrictions for the pixel art gallery yet?

BobSmith006 (Level 1 Intern) @ 8/17/2008 09:32
I quit browsing dA a long time ago, but every once in awhile I'll browse the newest pixel art and report five or six miscats at least. I don't really like the new system, but meh... that's just me.

Ulisees icon/pixelartPet 03a - Lion Baby icon/pixelartDanda ai icon/pixelartPretty Busy - Rework icon/pixelart