8bit killer

8bit killer is a lovely little retro Game Maker-made FPS that combines a NES aesthetic with gameplay and 3D engine similar to Wolfenstein 3-D. It consists of 4 chapters with 3 levels each. It's quite amusing and should be able to entertain you for an hour or so (assuming you use Windows).

Download here. Use the WASD or arrow keys to walk, press space to choose between weapons, move the mouse to look, press the left mouse button to shoot and press the right mouse button to open doors. Esc ends the game.

Posted by Blueberry_pie @ 7/10/2008 08:50  |    15

Haze01 (Level 1 Intern) @ 7/19/2008 05:34
I like the game.  I prefer everything in this to what I remember of Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, and the like.  If only it wasn't so buggy, or if there was a save feature at least - it crashed on me during the sewer boss fight.  I think the boss reappeared right where I was standing, as I couldn't move and it seemed like I was inside it's model.  Shooting made the sound for hitting, but it wouldn't go away and then it crashed.  I also had some minor glitches happen wherin enemies would get stuck in the doors as they close.  One had the enemy visible, but not shooting or shootable until I opened the door.  The other time, the enemy was a melee enemy and was shootable but not moving.

MuTiX (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/15/2008 06:57
Really nice game ) Finish it off (masterbrain rule). Just some anoying that GM close application when esc button is pressed.

Dusty (Level 3 Private Eye) @ 7/13/2008 21:56
I haven't played the game, I might... but I looked at the screenshots. I'd like to see a nice low-res 3D game. While this is great and all, it kind of hurts to look at. I'd like to see one that actually looks really great, regardless of being low-res. Kind of hard to explain but... I wanna see something made with some of the low-res stuff Kenneth has made, for example.

Aderhold (Level 1 Rookie) @ 7/13/2008 05:10
I loved it, great and uber fun! This is a wonderful piece. Play it over an over.

Sponiller (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 7/13/2008 04:55
The game is super!) But I was also very slow, except with the boss levels ((

ui_ (Level 4 Deputy) @ 7/11/2008 16:31
oh my!... rushjet1...

pain (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/11/2008 13:34
nice ... but too big ...

Skurwy87 (Level 6 Made) @ 7/11/2008 08:44
of what I hear from you, it seems like an insufficient RAM problem.  but considering the game requirements that would make nonsense.  I'm running it on Vista, too, and everything goes on perfectly.  it's really cool, but I'm not really keen on the manga-like cut-scenes.  the audiovisual side is great with 8-bit gfx, cuboid low-poly models (32*32px textures) and only 1-bit msx.  it tastes quite like Wolfenstein, maybe even better.

Skull (Level 11 CEO) @ 7/11/2008 08:38
Played it quickly and it was really well done. :p

Rynen10K (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 7/11/2008 08:17
I'm running it on my laptop with....ugh....Vista...
But it seems like it should still be able to run it okay... I checked a Youtube Video of it, and it looked like it was running a lot better than what I had going, and the video creator said the capture program they were using was causing it to lag D:

I'm also having problems with the music... i have sfx but no music for the first 5 minutes, and then it starts up.

I don't think it likes my comp :(

Anyway, I'll give the 1x a shot, but i don't think that's what's causing it :\

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 7/11/2008 06:15
I LOVE this game! Even tho it crashed after I defeated the helicopter :'(
Proof

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 7/11/2008 02:58
Looks lovely. Always dreamed of making a retro fps!

Blueberry_pie (Level 7 General Manager) @ 7/11/2008 02:44
I had a stable framerate. If you press enter, the game will switch between 1x size and stretched to full screen. Changing that might help.

Rynen10K (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 7/10/2008 19:41
It's fun, but it's running super slow for me.... is it supposed to be this slow?

Cheshire (Level 1 Intern) @ 7/10/2008 10:42
Unbelievably awesome!! I felt like I am 11 years old again. Different monsters, different bosses, different weapons, simple upgrade system, storyline, Music. Cool!
Most liked Galaxian-like monster and boss-battle with helicopter on the rooftop (yep, you know that game)
BTW i've ended game without dying

Clown icon/pixelartZip and Swell icon/pixelartCat Genie icon/pixelartidle icon/pixelart