Pixel Artists: Don't Download Firefox 3!

That is, if you don't want to see blurry hand pixeled images. Firefox 3 blurs images once you zoom in on them. From what I've been reading, there isn't an option to switch this "feature" off. At normal zoom, the images seem to hold up fine however, so if you just copy and paste the images into another program to view them, this probably won't be an issue for you. This does of course compromise some of the convenience for sites like Pixel Joint, with its wonderful built in zoom on the site.

Just a heads up to everyone.

Posted by Blackbeltdude @ 6/18/2008 08:56  |    49

inkspot (Level 4 Button Man) @ 9/2/2008 13:30
Fuck, i knew this but still accidentaly downloaded the new version recently. It was just that the damn FF kept telling me there is an update and I since it has been some time from when it came out, I thought the problem is fixed...

Its fucking not and I am pissed.

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 6/27/2008 12:37
You're welcome :D

Citrusponge (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/25/2008 11:48
Brilliant, thanks for the tip, iLKke.

iLKke (Level 9 Nidan) @ 6/25/2008 02:18
There is a workaround, install the IEtab addon and you can switch to IE rendering engine anytime!

Varock Shade (Level 7 Underboss) @ 6/25/2008 00:25
Thanks for the advice... That's quite rubbish, That's why I also hate the Image viewer included in Windows XP, and now Firefox (which is to me a very nice piece of software) takes over the ---- that Windows has left

I do still have Firefox 2.0.0.14, so I'm safe.

mp4 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/24/2008 07:10

Blackbeltdude (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 6/23/2008 05:42
Yeah, there was this guy on Youtube who was insisting that I was doing something wrong (abusing the zoom features), and Firefox 3 had no faults. And apparently, this site was too "niche" to merit a fix or patch. At least, according to that twit.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/22/2008 22:48
same question lollige. I don't understand why they keep screaming "ZOOM TEXT" when everyone is talking about images.

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 6/22/2008 17:00
Gee, I don't know...cuz it sux, and is annoying for pixel artists.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/22/2008 13:14
Urgh! Why do on all places I posted or read about this people keep repeating and shouting about the text zoom thing?

:S

skeddles (Level 11 Psychopath) @ 6/22/2008 08:23

FF3 is an aweswome browser. Maybe someone can figure out how to fix it, or we can all email mozilla and complain. "I just got 100 emails about the stupid blur thing!"

Solitude (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/21/2008 23:43
Thanks Citrusponge, I wrote a message at that link you gave.

And Eugeniu, I think that maybe you should have a look at what is actually said here before writing comments like "wtf" and "ALL CAPITAL LETTERS..".  Changing the setting to zoom text only is completely irrelevant to what we are discussing here.  That will not fix the bilinear filtering of images (making them blurry) on images that are resized in a any way.  Hence using the zoom option on this great site will cause the images to become blurred.  Try it out.

Firefox 3 is still worth the download though.  Eh at least I think so.  I'm sure it'll be fixed eventually and for the time being I am saving the images and looking at them in an external program.

Akira (Level 5 Sniper) @ 6/21/2008 21:58
@Eugeniu: you don't get it...

Haze01 (Level 1 Intern) @ 6/21/2008 21:14
Hmm, too bad.  I was thinking of switching everything over to Firefox 3 when the final version finishes, but I might not now.

Eugeniu (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/21/2008 20:19
Ok wtf. DON'T UNINSTALL FIREFOX 3. If you want to only zoom text, just do "View >> Zoom >> Zoom Text Only". IT WORKS ON WINDOWS. Believe me, I've tried.

Tre Le Coco (Level 1 Thug) @ 6/21/2008 18:47
Firefox 2.0.0.14 :)

Citrusponge (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/21/2008 16:46
I downloaded Opera the other day. It doesn't completely solve the problem. Using '8' to zoom in isn't as convenient as using the Image Zoom extension on a single image. More importantly, it blurs certain images. I believe it tries to intelligently select which images one would want to smooth over (photos, I suppose), and which to scale with pixelation. But it doesn't always do it right. Is there a way to turn off filtering altogether?

Hmm... I posted this message and question somewhere before. Forgot where... some blog comments section. Might have gotten an answer by now...

wah_wah_69 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/21/2008 15:04
Sorry about that, didn't know the problem was with the windows version, the linux version interpolates too by default but can be disabled as I said before, I should edit my post to not generate confusion about this issue...meanwhile use opera...

Commodore (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/21/2008 11:03
Can't someone code a firefox add-on to change this?

Citrusponge (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/21/2008 06:36
@wah_wah_69
You best be joking bro.

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 6/21/2008 05:40
That doesn't work at all.

wah_wah_69 (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/21/2008 03:41
There's no need to panic IF YOU'RE RUNNING LINUX:

View->Zoom ->Zoom text Only

And images won't be interpolated anymore.

If you're running windows you must wait.

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/20/2008 12:45
@skamo: Lol me too XD

1up (Level 1 Thug) @ 6/20/2008 10:23
i figured this out during the beta

hardcore knowlege

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 6/20/2008 09:39
:O I joined just so I could digg it

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/20/2008 07:21
Digg this:

Citrusponge (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/19/2008 14:18
Hey everyone who cares, complain (be polite) with this http://hendrix.mozilla.org/
And perhaps someone could add this on Digg and such. To get more exposure. And perhaps the chance to rage over inevitable "hey man why do you wanna see your pics all pixelly and shit? Smooth looks better" comments

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/19/2008 11:33
Yes, the macs have it too but being superior machines we can easily alter the code :p

FrankieSmileShow (Level 6 Manager) @ 6/19/2008 09:59
at least the flash-based pixelplajer is still fine

(though it doesnt work with larger images, gives OUT OF MEMORY EXCEPTION)

(also I read this literally minutes after installing FF3. no kidding. gahk.

berkadam (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 6/19/2008 07:50
Funny. I think it wasnt like that while it was at beta stage.

Djsem (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 6/19/2008 07:40
Too late for me. FF3 sucksssssssss D:

Aleiav (Level 2 Quiet One) @ 6/19/2008 06:26
Whoops, too late. :S I don't mind though. I don't really use the zoom function. I find it easier just to copy the image into Photoshop.

Blackbeltdude (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 6/19/2008 05:02
Probably. :P Honestly, I'm not too sure what the technical reasons are for this problem, so I might be grasping for straws when it comes to finding the right information about it.

But your link seems more relevant. :)

Solitude (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/19/2008 03:21
I think we are waiting for this fix Blabeltdude:

Blackbeltdude (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 6/19/2008 03:14
As far as I know, it's just windows computers. I haven't heard anything about Macs or Linux being affected by it (Nor have I actually been looking, since all I've got is Windows). I can tell you that XP and Vista are definitely affected by it though.

I have found that it's not just zooming that's being affected though; small low res images in general are also being affected. Icons, some banners, some smaller images... there's a list of things that people now are noticing.

Here's some links that have some more information on it, and might be helpful:

I don't think there's a patch or anything out just yet though (unless that link to bugzilla has it, but if it does, then I have no idea how to use it).

Setzer (Level 8 Cannibal) @ 6/19/2008 01:58
the filtering wasn't there when I used ubuntu, only XP, I have some free time.

also the awesome bar is anything but

surt (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/19/2008 00:33
No bilerp here on linux x86-64.

Which platforms are affected? Just windows?

Hapiel (Level 11 Admiral) @ 6/19/2008 00:30
I am searching for people who would like to program this for us on the internet.

Is there anything I can say PJ can offer in return? (no money of course)

Solitude (Level 1 Rookie) @ 6/19/2008 00:01
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a plugin or a fix for this yet.  Some people have asked on the forums at Mozilla, but it almost seems like they don't understand.

I am currently using Firefox 3 because I've gotten used to the speed.  Other browsers seem sluggish now.  From now on, until there's a plugin or option available to switch the bilinear filtering off, I will just have to save the images to disk to look at them properly....  Or use Opera especially for sites like this.

Metaru (Level 8 Brigadier General) @ 6/18/2008 23:09
May i ask what browser are you using?

Tre Le Coco (Level 1 Thug) @ 6/18/2008 18:44
meh, it already happens with me anyway without FF3, so i don't care ;P

besides, i can always just put it in paint to look at if closely if i wanted to xD

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 6/18/2008 17:40
I think there's somewhere that you can ask for things like this to be done. Didn't really look into it that much though. Plugins etc.

Frost (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 6/18/2008 17:38
Well, It's open source. Can someone with some coding skills fix it?

Larwick (Level 8 Regional Boss) @ 6/18/2008 17:34
Unfortunately i had to upgrade in the end because my previous firefox was falling apart. It was too slow and i couldn't download anything on it. Owel, guess i'll just have to copy and paste stuff into paint or something. :/

BobSmith006 (Level 1 Intern) @ 6/18/2008 16:31
Thanks for the tip. I've already downloaded FF3, and I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it. It doesn't really make a difference to me at the moment, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind whilst looking.

Frost (Level 6 Serial Killer) @ 6/18/2008 12:13
I realized this after i installed FF3 and instantly uninstalled it. I won't use FF until there is an option to turn that damn filtering from hell off. I want my pixels unsmudged.

jalonso (Level 11 Godfather) @ 6/18/2008 10:19
Mozilla and all its products IS open source. It would be awesome if we could collectively write a draft and explain our problem on their board with sample sites of how Firefox is not working for us who depend on sharp pixels. I just bet one of them thar code nerds will make an ON/OFF switch or even an extension, or at least help us.

I think this is important and can't find the free time right now to purse it. I can join in the solution with the Mozilla Org in a few weeks.

*dangling GOLD STARS*

Night fight icon/pixelartSpace Invader 2019 icon/pixelartChilling Breeze icon/pixelartRecess is Can-celed icon/pixelart