Pixel Art Challenge: They Exist!

and Tomic wants the proof from you - on 35mm!

Pixel a scene in which extraterrestrials on a trip to earth are caught on camera. your pixel can be everything from a blurry 1960s ufo sighting photograph (like these ones here) to a group picture with alien, just be creative.

• Colors: 32 max
  • Canvas Size: 4:3 ratio, but 320x240 max
  • Transparency: None
  • Animation: None

Posted by pixelblink @ 5/5/2008 00:42  |    21

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/11/2008 00:23
skamocore: way to tattle on somebody ... and yes, you're absolutely right, which is why it's being sent back for revision as well.

klav (Level 7 Mass Murderer) @ 5/10/2008 16:43
I understood the ratio  4:3, I just turned it on its side.  sorry about that .

skamocore (Level 11 CEO) @ 5/10/2008 14:18
well what about this. That breaks both size and transparency rules. Yes, I assume each frame is valid by itself...but I'm pretty sure that's not how the challenge is supposed to work.

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/10/2008 12:21
Anything submitted that didn't adhere to the 4:3 ratio rule has had their piece sent back for revision.

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/10/2008 09:53
hmm, it seems that some didn't understand the simple 4:3 ratio rule =/

pixelblink (Level 9 Federal Agent) @ 5/7/2008 11:17
I don't find 32 colours to be a low colour count (anymore at least). I've done many and seen many amazing pieces that use less. Therein also lies the challenge.

tomic (Level 11 Admiral) @ 5/7/2008 10:19

well riva, there are always 2 ways to deal with lower color counts: dithering or talent (i don't like dither orgies either)

edit: "such low value"? at 32 colors? are you drunk?

Riva (Level 6 Commander) @ 5/7/2008 05:34

Why are you still limiting the number of colors ? Or why to such low values ?

It wount bring you any good, other then the fact that some pieces will come out terribly dithered = ugly.

I never was fant of the, imho silly, idea that low-color or very-dithered images are the true pixelart. Meaning - no they aren't. :)
So lets stop goofind around that ;)

Anyway - best look to the contestants !

pain (Level 9 Nidan) @ 5/6/2008 14:33

nice ... i like aliens ...

Skurwy87 (Level 6 Made) @ 5/6/2008 12:28
shizznit, I'm actually working on a piece, "Space Ho's", it'd fit the theme pretty well. . . but it's SVGA, 640*400. . . and as it is with full-res pieces, it won't be prolly done that soon. . . anyway, good challenge, Tomic! looking foward to see some fancy entries!

Vertigo-Zero (Level 9 Necrophiliac) @ 5/6/2008 03:05
Im looking forward to entering, as bobby said, aliens doe some nasty stuff lololol
No seriously I have a great idea but im not telling yet :)

The B.O.B. (Level 11 Master Assassin) @ 5/5/2008 22:09
Heh, "caught on camera." There's so many nasty things I can do with that one...

WhyMe (Level 6 Hitman) @ 5/5/2008 16:01
"caught on camera", eh? Can it be some other kind of capturing of an image, lets say a painting or a sculpture?

Zephiel87 (Level 4 Lieutenant) @ 5/5/2008 15:49
Of course references are fine, as long as you do the actual pixelling by hand, and post a link to the original image.

Chaos Design (Level 3 Stalker) @ 5/5/2008 13:08
Seems like a challenge which can included humor, i might just have a go.

drewgilbert (Level 1 Jukyu) @ 5/5/2008 12:56
What are the general thoughts on using real photos and pixelizing them, assuming we're not just resizing them and are in fact using them as a reference to create real pixel art. I expect to be able to join in this challenge, and the rules for it made me immediately think of adapting something like this. Taking something with historical context and inserting some sort of creature, either subtly or more brazenly.

The challenge sort of begs for it, but I am new to the site so I am not clear on if this is frowned on, or if it is cool as long as we fess up to it and don't take shortcuts actually ripping the thing off. What say ye, peanut gallery?

Elwin (Level 5 Sniper) @ 5/5/2008 10:56
I promise you, I'm gonna enter this. If not, you may rip off my head and set it on fire.

berkadam (Level 2 Flatfoot) @ 5/5/2008 09:28
Good challenge!

ScarredShadow (Level 4 Deputy) @ 5/5/2008 02:35
The Presence...

Opacus (Level 7 Ichikyu) @ 5/5/2008 01:41
Haha sweet challenge. I might just have to participate in this one.

Backroads icon/pixelartWind Fish icon/pixelartCrab icon/pixelartBooks shelf icon/pixelart